10.3 installation fails - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 installation fails - Suse ; Hi, A brand new asus based system where 10.2 fails: "could not find opensuse installation CD, activating manual setuip program"... unable to mount cdrom So I tried 10.3, the same: No repository found...... BTW windows XP installs without any problem, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 10.3 installation fails

  1. 10.3 installation fails

    Hi,

    A brand new asus based system where 10.2 fails: "could not find
    opensuse installation CD, activating manual setuip program"...
    unable to mount cdrom
    So I tried 10.3, the same: No repository found......
    BTW windows XP installs without any problem, where is the time
    the opposite was true.


  2. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    adirtymindisajoyforever wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > A brand new asus based system where 10.2 fails: "could not find
    > opensuse installation CD, activating manual setuip program"...
    > unable to mount cdrom
    > So I tried 10.3, the same: No repository found......
    > BTW windows XP installs without any problem, where is the time
    > the opposite was true.

    I would guess your drives are sata and that the kernel doesn't yet support
    the controller on the mb. You should google the mb chipset and linux and
    see if this is a known problem.
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    Bill P schrieb:

    > I would guess your drives are sata and that the kernel doesn't yet support
    > the controller on the mb.


    And why does his suse-10.2 with an older kernel support this controller?
    motherboard?

    Martin.
    --
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are others
    here for ?


  4. Re: 10.3 installation fails


    Martin Schnitkemper schreef:
    > Bill P schrieb:
    >
    > > I would guess your drives are sata and that the kernel doesn't yet support
    > > the controller on the mb.

    >
    > And why does his suse-10.2 with an older kernel support this controller?
    > motherboard?


    Sorry for not being that clear; it is also the installation of 10.2
    that fails!
    Another try: solaris 10 installs without any problem.


    >
    > Martin.
    > --
    > If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are others
    > here for ?



  5. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    On 2007-10-06, adirtymindisajoyforever wrote:
    > Hi,


    > A brand new asus based system where 10.2 fails: "could not find
    > opensuse installation CD, activating manual setuip program"...
    > unable to mount cdrom
    > So I tried 10.3, the same: No repository found......
    > BTW windows XP installs without any problem, where is the time
    > the opposite was true.


    Is this the error where it boots off the CD, starts installation and then says
    it can't find the CD? I had that on an Intel motherboard, too. With 10.1 and
    10.2, haven't tried 10.3 yet. In my case it was an issue of legacy IDE support
    on SATA motherboards. To add insult: Fedora 7 installed without difficulty.

    There is an article: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CD_not_found_problem
    ....but the solution did not work for me. Googling revealed similar advice.

    My diagnostic is to abort installtion when it can still read the CD, and get
    to the text screen where you can list the loaded kernel modules. Do the same
    thing after the install fails. Compare the two lists to see what is missing
    the second time. I was able to install without error by adding these boot
    params:

    insmod=ahci insmod=ata_piix insmod=generic

    I had the error with both IDE and SATA DVD drives.

    The MB is Intel DG965RY. The relevant BIOS settings: "ATA/IDE Mode = Native,
    SATA=IDE". I could not get SATA=AHCI to work.

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press The King in Yellow
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Robert W. Chambers
    info@sattre-press.com http://sattre-press.com/kiy.html

  6. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:04:59 +0000, Bill McClain wrote:

    > Is this the error where it boots off the CD, starts installation and then says
    > it can't find the CD?


    If that's what happens you almost certainly need to try booting with

    ide=nodma

    That's the issue 9 times out of 10.

  7. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    On 2007-10-07, Mark South wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:04:59 +0000, Bill McClain wrote:


    > > Is this the error where it boots off the CD, starts installation and then says
    > > it can't find the CD?


    > If that's what happens you almost certainly need to try booting with


    > ide=nodma


    > That's the issue 9 times out of 10.


    I posted my own solution. I'll try this when I install 10.3

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press The King in Yellow
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Robert W. Chambers
    info@sattre-press.com http://sattre-press.com/kiy.html

  8. Re: 10.3 installation fails

    On Oct 7, 10:52 am, Bill McClain wrote:
    > On 2007-10-07, Mark South wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:04:59 +0000, Bill McClain wrote:
    > > > Is this the error where it boots off the CD, starts installation and then says
    > > > it can't find the CD?

    > > If that's what happens you almost certainly need to try booting with
    > > ide=nodma
    > > That's the issue 9 times out of 10.

    >
    > I posted my own solution. I'll try this when I install 10.3
    >
    > -Bill
    > --
    > Sattre Press The King in Yellowhttp://sattre-press.com/ by Robert W. Chambers
    > i...@sattre-press.com http://sattre-press.com/kiy.html


    This happened to me on a Dell Dimension 8100 with 10.2 installed. It
    is not SATA either. Help please!


+ Reply to Thread