openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards - Suse ; I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2 Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to SUSE's Nvidia site ( http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA ) I was thrilled ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2
    Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to
    SUSE's Nvidia site (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) I was thrilled to see the
    1-Click-Install. But, it was a little problematic. I could not get Yast to
    activate 3D acceleration no matter what I did. When I used the Nvidia Tool
    (in System, Configuration) that was installed with the drivers, it told me
    that the Xconfig file needed to be updated, and it gave me an error message
    telling how to do it. I went to a terminal as root and typed in
    "nvidia-Xconfig" and then I restarted the windows Xserver
    (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). It worked and the card's 3D acceleration was
    activated - at least according to the NVidia Tool. But, Yast still said that
    my graphics card had no 3D acceleration! And it gave other wrong information
    and would not let me make any changes. So, the only way to get the most out
    of my card is to use the Nvidia Tool. To see whether or not 3D was actually
    enabled I installed a 3D game and it worked! So, 3D is enabled but Yast does
    not see it in its Graphics Card and Monitor module.

    Is this a bug or glitch in openSUSE 10.3? When I installed openSUSE 10.2 I
    just downloaded and installed the Nvidia Repositories and choose the most
    likely Nvidia driver and it just worked. Before I tried the 1-Click-Install
    I tried to do the same thing and nothing worked until I used the
    1-Click-Install ... but even that required more than just one click.

    Skippi

    PS By the way, 10.3 is great!!! Faster startups, installs, updates, etc. I
    haven't found any other problems than with the NVidia card. But, at least
    there is a work-around.

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    skippi wrote:
    > I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2
    > Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to
    > SUSE's Nvidia site (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) I was thrilled to see the
    > 1-Click-Install. But, it was a little problematic. I could not get Yast to
    > activate 3D acceleration no matter what I did. When I used the Nvidia Tool
    > (in System, Configuration) that was installed with the drivers, it told me
    > that the Xconfig file needed to be updated, and it gave me an error message
    > telling how to do it. I went to a terminal as root and typed in
    > "nvidia-Xconfig" and then I restarted the windows Xserver
    > (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). It worked and the card's 3D acceleration was
    > activated - at least according to the NVidia Tool. But, Yast still said that
    > my graphics card had no 3D acceleration! And it gave other wrong information
    > and would not let me make any changes. So, the only way to get the most out
    > of my card is to use the Nvidia Tool. To see whether or not 3D was actually
    > enabled I installed a 3D game and it worked! So, 3D is enabled but Yast does
    > not see it in its Graphics Card and Monitor module.
    >
    > Is this a bug or glitch in openSUSE 10.3? When I installed openSUSE 10.2 I
    > just downloaded and installed the Nvidia Repositories and choose the most
    > likely Nvidia driver and it just worked. Before I tried the 1-Click-Install
    > I tried to do the same thing and nothing worked until I used the
    > 1-Click-Install ... but even that required more than just one click.
    >
    > Skippi
    >
    > PS By the way, 10.3 is great!!! Faster startups, installs, updates, etc. I
    > haven't found any other problems than with the NVidia card. But, at least
    > there is a work-around.

    I didn't have that problem with my GeForce 7600 GT. But I didn't use the
    1 click install method. I went to nvidia's site, downloaded the binary
    for the latest driver, installed it, and configured X.

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:03:01 GMT, Vance Howard
    wrote:

    >skippi wrote:
    >> I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2
    >> Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to
    >> SUSE's Nvidia site (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) I was thrilled to see the
    >> 1-Click-Install. But, it was a little problematic. I could not get Yast to
    >> activate 3D acceleration no matter what I did. When I used the Nvidia Tool
    >> (in System, Configuration) that was installed with the drivers, it told me
    >> that the Xconfig file needed to be updated, and it gave me an error message
    >> telling how to do it. I went to a terminal as root and typed in
    >> "nvidia-Xconfig" and then I restarted the windows Xserver
    >> (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). It worked and the card's 3D acceleration was
    >> activated - at least according to the NVidia Tool. But, Yast still said that
    >> my graphics card had no 3D acceleration! And it gave other wrong information
    >> and would not let me make any changes. So, the only way to get the most out
    >> of my card is to use the Nvidia Tool. To see whether or not 3D was actually
    >> enabled I installed a 3D game and it worked! So, 3D is enabled but Yast does
    >> not see it in its Graphics Card and Monitor module.
    >>
    >> Is this a bug or glitch in openSUSE 10.3? When I installed openSUSE 10.2 I
    >> just downloaded and installed the Nvidia Repositories and choose the most
    >> likely Nvidia driver and it just worked. Before I tried the 1-Click-Install
    >> I tried to do the same thing and nothing worked until I used the
    >> 1-Click-Install ... but even that required more than just one click.
    >>
    >> Skippi
    >>
    >> PS By the way, 10.3 is great!!! Faster startups, installs, updates, etc. I
    >> haven't found any other problems than with the NVidia card. But, at least
    >> there is a work-around.
    >>

    >I didn't have that problem with my GeForce 7600 GT. But I didn't use the
    >1 click install method. I went to nvidia's site, downloaded the binary
    >for the latest driver, installed it, and configured X.

    I also had no problem with my 8800GTS. I did as you did, because that
    is what I was used to. I DL'd the sh .run file, installed it (didn't
    even use the -q switch), and then had nividia's configurator change xorg.

    My only problem is with getting X to start in 100 dpi mode. I am sure
    it is easy to do, I am simply unfamiliar with what I need to do to make
    it happen.

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:50:38 -0700, "skippi" wrote:

    >I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2
    >Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to
    >SUSE's Nvidia site (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) I was thrilled to see the
    >1-Click-Install. But, it was a little problematic. I could not get Yast to
    >activate 3D acceleration no matter what I did. When I used the Nvidia Tool
    >(in System, Configuration) that was installed with the drivers, it told me
    >that the Xconfig file needed to be updated, and it gave me an error message
    >telling how to do it. I went to a terminal as root and typed in
    >"nvidia-Xconfig" and then I restarted the windows Xserver
    >(Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). It worked and the card's 3D acceleration was
    >activated - at least according to the NVidia Tool. But, Yast still said that
    >my graphics card had no 3D acceleration! And it gave other wrong information
    >and would not let me make any changes. So, the only way to get the most out
    >of my card is to use the Nvidia Tool. To see whether or not 3D was actually
    >enabled I installed a 3D game and it worked! So, 3D is enabled but Yast does
    >not see it in its Graphics Card and Monitor module.
    >
    >Is this a bug or glitch in openSUSE 10.3? When I installed openSUSE 10.2 I
    >just downloaded and installed the Nvidia Repositories and choose the most
    >likely Nvidia driver and it just worked. Before I tried the 1-Click-Install
    >I tried to do the same thing and nothing worked until I used the
    >1-Click-Install ... but even that required more than just one click.
    >
    >Skippi
    >
    >PS By the way, 10.3 is great!!! Faster startups, installs, updates, etc. I
    >haven't found any other problems than with the NVidia card. But, at least
    >there is a work-around.

    Install Armagetron Advanced, and if that plays normal, your 3D is up.
    Another test is to try out many of the 3D GL screen savers in the Screen
    Saver listing. A non-accelerated system will have slow frame rates and
    jitters through the testing of nearly all of those.

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    Hi there,

    skippi wrote:
    > I just installed openSUSE 10.3 on my Asus K9N-E Deluxe AMD system with 2
    > Megs of RAM. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card and when I went to
    > SUSE's Nvidia site (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) I was thrilled to see the
    > 1-Click-Install. But, it was a little problematic. I could not get Yast to
    > activate 3D acceleration no matter what I did. When I used the Nvidia Tool
    > (in System, Configuration) that was installed with the drivers, it told me
    > that the Xconfig file needed to be updated, and it gave me an error message
    > telling how to do it. I went to a terminal as root and typed in
    > "nvidia-Xconfig" and then I restarted the windows Xserver
    > (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). It worked and the card's 3D acceleration was
    > activated - at least according to the NVidia Tool. But, Yast still said that
    > my graphics card had no 3D acceleration! And it gave other wrong information
    > and would not let me make any changes. So, the only way to get the most out
    > of my card is to use the Nvidia Tool. To see whether or not 3D was actually
    > enabled I installed a 3D game and it worked! So, 3D is enabled but Yast does
    > not see it in its Graphics Card and Monitor module.
    >
    > Is this a bug or glitch in openSUSE 10.3? When I installed openSUSE 10.2 I
    > just downloaded and installed the Nvidia Repositories and choose the most
    > likely Nvidia driver and it just worked. Before I tried the 1-Click-Install
    > I tried to do the same thing and nothing worked until I used the
    > 1-Click-Install ... but even that required more than just one click.

    It is more likely a bug with Xorg. SaX2 says I have a crappy vesa
    framebuffer device, not a 7900GS, and will not allow me to choose
    a resolution above 1600x1200 (my monitor is 22", 2048x1536 max).
    Installing NVidia 100.14.19 and using nvidia-settings is the only
    way to fix that, but my xv video performance is crap unless I use
    kwin instead of compiz.

    This crap shouldn't happen, especially on run-of-the-mill consumer
    hardware such as I have.

    > Skippi
    >
    > PS By the way, 10.3 is great!!! Faster startups, installs, updates, etc. I
    > haven't found any other problems than with the NVidia card. But, at least
    > there is a work-around.

    Work-arounds are unwanted annoyances. I'd rather it just worked out-
    of-box. I agree 10.3 is looking better than 10.2 once its working,
    but getting it working 100% is taking more effort than 10.2 for me.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3 and NVidia Cards

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:13:39 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    wrote:

    >This crap shouldn't happen, especially on run-of-the-mill consumer
    >hardware such as I have.

    What is the actual brand of your vid card?

    "Run-of-the-mil" and should be fully working rarely go together.

    Also, is there really a valid reason for all the pissing and moaning
    you are doing? IT IS FREE! Sheesh!

    All of my "top-of-the-line" stuff works fine... :-]

+ Reply to Thread