Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well - Suse ; UltimatePatriot wrote: > > Excellent install application! Both versions! > > Ubuntu experience totally sucked as since I have 3 physical drives on > my machine, Ubuntu's install of grub failed miserably. Sad thing is that > they know about ...

  1. Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well

    UltimatePatriot wrote:

    > Excellent install application! Both versions!
    >
    > Ubuntu experience totally sucked as since I have 3 physical drives on
    > my machine, Ubuntu's install of grub failed miserably. Sad thing is that
    > they know about the problem, yet wont repair it in their daily builds.

    Ubuntu is not alone in failing to fix problems. The openSUSE people
    released a new kernel for 10.1, which had been compiled with gcc 4.1.2
    though end users had only gcc 4.1.0. The result was the the Nvidia
    driver would not compile. A witty person suggested (on Bugzilla) that we
    get the kernel sources (I have) and recompile the kernel with gcc 4.1.0!
    Why have they not issued gcc 4.1.2 instead? After all, our problems are
    of their making.

    I had been considering moving to 10.3 (clean installation) but the
    attitude of the openSUSE developers/maintainers leaves much to be
    desired. Perhaps this M$-Novell contract is souring things. BTW, I've
    used this distro since the 7.x days and, up to now, been pleased on the
    whole.

  2. Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well

    Jethro wrote:
    > Perhaps this M$-Novell contract is souring things.

    That is nice FUD spreading. Do you work for M$ yourself that you so want
    to disgrace openSUSE and spread FUD?

    Well, don't bother to answer, because you are plonked.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  3. Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well

    On Oct 6, 8:04 pm, houghi wrote:
    > Jethro wrote:
    > > Perhaps this M$-Novell contract is souring things.

    > That is nice FUD spreading. Do you work for M$ yourself that you so want
    > to disgrace openSUSE and spread FUD?
    >
    > Well, don't bother to answer, because you are plonked.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    > Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    > Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    > When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

    What Jethro is referring to is a legitimate gripe, although it has
    nothing to do with the Microsoft contract.
    Novell released a 10.1 Kernel compiled with a different gcc level to
    the one currently available for 10.1. Even now, weeks later. The
    background was that the 10.1 fixes are the same as apply to one of
    their server SLES releases. That release recently got a new gcc level
    but 10.1 did not. Novell were talking in terms of updating the 10.1
    gcc level to match SLES but have obviously not done that so far.

  4. Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well

    Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 8:04 pm, houghi wrote:
    >> Jethro wrote:
    >> > Perhaps this M$-Novell contract is souring things.

    >> That is nice FUD spreading. Do you work for M$ yourself that you so want
    >> to disgrace openSUSE and spread FUD?

    > What Jethro is referring to is a legitimate gripe, although it has
    > nothing to do with the Microsoft contract.

    I know and dragging the Microsoft contract into it made it FUD and that
    was what I plonked him for.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  5. Re: My experiences with 10.3 installations on x86_64 and PS3 as well

    houghi wrote:
    > Jethro wrote:
    >> Perhaps this M$-Novell contract is souring things.

    > That is nice FUD spreading. Do you work for M$ yourself that you so want
    > to disgrace openSUSE and spread FUD?
    >
    > Well, don't bother to answer, because you are plonked.
    >
    > houghi

    I'm not spreading FUD and I'd rather starve than work for M$! I'm merely
    reporting my experience and wondering why things have deteriorated as
    far as I'm concerned. I want to leave M$ behind because I don't like its
    business practices; Apple (on whose fora any criticism is 'flamed', as
    mine has been here) is also a self-serving monopoly, so I don't wish to
    go there. Linux is my choice and has been my default system for several
    years: I use Windows as little as possible but can't avoid it for some
    things. The success of Linux on the desktop is in my interests as well
    as of many millions of end users who just want a system that works.

    I'm sorry if my comparision with M$ upset you but ignoring customers'
    needs is what M$ is good at and openSUSE/Novell is showing signs of
    going down that road. The problems with (open)SUSE began (as far as
    I'm concerned) with the package manager in 10.1. I still can't use YaST
    to update - I'm using Smart but can't install the Nvidia driver that way
    (unresolved dependence). Then, 10.2 changed the way that USB was
    handled, which 'broke' VMware. Now, they issue a 10.1 kernel compiled
    with a version of gcc that they haven't distributed to 10.1 users. That
    doesn't look very customer-orientated to me. To advise refugees from
    Windows to recompile the kernel is to tell them that this distribution
    of Linux is not for them, which is bad PR for one thing.

    All I want is a system that works reliable and safely. SuSE (remember
    I'm using 10.1!) was it till recently and I was looking to move to
    openSUSE 10.3. Now, I have to look for a distribution where the
    customer, if not coming first, is at least near the head of the queue.
    In the end, it's all about freedom (including freedom to express one's
    opinion even if wrong!).

    Jethro

+ Reply to Thread