10.2 and 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.2 and 10.3 - Suse ; If I have kept my 10.2 system updated with all the KDE, xorg and mozilla and everything else stuff from all the repositories don't I already have 10.3? What can 10.3 have in it except all the current updated openSUSE ...

  1. 10.2 and 10.3

    If I have kept my 10.2 system updated with all the KDE, xorg and mozilla
    and everything else stuff from all the repositories don't I already have
    10.3? What can 10.3 have in it except all the current updated openSUSE
    program files? Maybe KDE 4.0?

  2. Re: 10.2 and 10.3

    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:

    > If I have kept my 10.2 system updated with all the KDE, xorg and mozilla
    > and everything else stuff from all the repositories don't I already have
    > 10.3? What can 10.3 have in it except all the current updated openSUSE
    > program files? Maybe KDE 4.0?

    you could view the release announcement and release notes if you were
    interested
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: 10.2 and 10.3

    On Oct 6, 2:42 pm, Punjab The Sailor Man
    wrote:
    > If I have kept my 10.2 system updated with all the KDE, xorg and mozilla
    > and everything else stuff from all the repositories don't I already have
    > 10.3? What can 10.3 have in it except all the current updated openSUSE
    > program files? Maybe KDE 4.0?

    Most of the time they just update existing software levels (add fixes
    to their level of the kernel for example, but not upgrade to a new
    kernel version). A new level of SuSE starts off with new software
    levels.

  4. Re: 10.2 and 10.3

    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:

    > If I have kept my 10.2 system updated with all the KDE, xorg and mozilla
    > and everything else stuff from all the repositories don't I already have
    > 10.3? What can 10.3 have in it except all the current updated openSUSE
    > program files? Maybe KDE 4.0?

    No you do not have 10.3. New versions often have new features as well as
    some programs being fixed that will never be available in the previous
    version. Besides, there is a finite amount of time that upgraded existing
    packages will be available for any given superseded distro but the upgrades
    will exist for 10.2 for quite some time to come. Bottom line? If you are
    happy and comfortable in 10.2, no problem staying with it for a good while
    to come.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread