Setting 100 dpi on boot - Suse

This is a discussion on Setting 100 dpi on boot - Suse ; Hi guys. How do I set my new 10.3 installation (which rules by the way) so that I get my startx at 100 dpi? After I installed my new Nvidia driver from a console session, I ran startx -- -dpi ...

  1. Setting 100 dpi on boot

    Hi guys.

    How do I set my new 10.3 installation (which rules by the way) so that
    I get my startx at 100 dpi?

    After I installed my new Nvidia driver from a console session, I ran
    startx -- -dpi 100, and got it just fine, and they look great, but a
    reboot has my NVidia driver in place, but no 100 dpi fonts.

    What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

  2. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement ha scritto:
    > What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

    i think you can find something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    --
    Lorenzo `paulatz' Paulatto
    Trieste

    ``Grandissima mi par l'inezia di coloro che vorrebbero che Iddio avesse
    fatto l'universo pi¨ proporzionato alla piccola capacitÓ del lor discorso.''
    --Galileo Galilei (Opere VII)

  3. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:41:14 -0700
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:30:06 +0200, Lorenzo `paulatz' Paulatto
    > wrote:
    >
    > >GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement ha scritto:
    > >> What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

    > >i think you can find something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    > Not from what I could see.
    >
    > That sets the display resolution up, but does NOT start X up at 100
    > dpi.
    >
    > Suse runs a script that keeps the login, and x up, even if one
    > kills X with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc. You have to kill it three times or more
    > to get a console up that doesn't have x running somewhere.
    >
    > That script calls X at startup. I can kill X and startup using
    > startx -- -dpi 100 myself, but then I only get log-out selection when
    > I hit the "power button" in X. That drops me back to that console
    > session.
    >
    > When I login from the suse startup script I get no 100 dpi and
    > when I hit the power button, I get log-out, power off, restart, etc
    > selections.
    >
    > I want X to start at 100 dpi, and do so without me having to jump
    > through these hoops. I know it is a simple edit somewhere, but AFAIK
    > xorg.conf is not it.
    >
    > I am in between being a newbie, and someone that actually has an in
    > depth knowledge of a given distro.
    >
    > Thanks for your input though.

    Hi
    Have a look at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx I'm guess it can be added to your $HOME/.xinitrc

    --
    Cheers Malcolm ░┐░ (Linux Counter #276890)

  4. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:25:09 -0500, Malcolm
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:41:14 -0700
    >GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:30:06 +0200, Lorenzo `paulatz' Paulatto
    >> wrote:

    >> >i think you can find something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    >> Not from what I could see.
    >>
    >> That sets the display resolution up, but does NOT start X up at 100
    >> dpi.
    >>
    >> Suse runs a script that keeps the login, and x up, even if one
    >> kills X with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc. You have to kill it three times or more
    >> to get a console up that doesn't have x running somewhere.
    >>
    >> That script calls X at startup. I can kill X and startup using
    >> startx -- -dpi 100 myself, but then I only get log-out selection when
    >> I hit the "power button" in X. That drops me back to that console
    >> session.
    >>
    >> When I login from the suse startup script I get no 100 dpi and
    >> when I hit the power button, I get log-out, power off, restart, etc
    >> selections.
    >>
    >> I want X to start at 100 dpi, and do so without me having to jump
    >> through these hoops. I know it is a simple edit somewhere, but AFAIK
    >> xorg.conf is not it.
    >>
    >> I am in between being a newbie, and someone that actually has an in
    >> depth knowledge of a given distro.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your input though.

    >Hi
    >Have a look at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx I'm guess it can be added to your $HOME/.xinitrc

    Thank you... I will look at those entries.

  5. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

    > Hi guys.
    >
    > How do I set my new 10.3 installation (which rules by the way) so that
    > I get my startx at 100 dpi?
    >
    > After I installed my new Nvidia driver from a console session, I ran
    > startx -- -dpi 100, and got it just fine, and they look great, but a
    > reboot has my NVidia driver in place, but no 100 dpi fonts.
    >
    > What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

    I have

    Option "IgnoreEdid" "true"
    Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    Option "Dpi" "96 x 96"

    in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    This seems to work. You might try something similar.

    --
    Don

  6. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:32:06 -0600, Don Raboud
    wrote:

    >GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys.
    >>
    >> How do I set my new 10.3 installation (which rules by the way) so that
    >> I get my startx at 100 dpi?
    >>
    >> After I installed my new Nvidia driver from a console session, I ran
    >> startx -- -dpi 100, and got it just fine, and they look great, but a
    >> reboot has my NVidia driver in place, but no 100 dpi fonts.
    >>
    >> What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

    >I have
    >
    >Option "IgnoreEdid" "true"
    >Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    >Option "Dpi" "96 x 96"
    >
    >in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >This seems to work. You might try something similar.

    Well, when I start X from the console, the configuration switch:

    -- -dpi 100 works. As in "Startx -- -dpi 100"

    There are 100 dpi fonts. I don't get this 96 dpi stuff (sounds too
    much like Windows) or how it would fit in, but I will try it out.
    Thanks.

  7. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:32:06 -0600, Don Raboud
    > wrote:
    >
    >>GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi guys.
    >>>
    >>> How do I set my new 10.3 installation (which rules by the way) so that
    >>> I get my startx at 100 dpi?
    >>>
    >>> After I installed my new Nvidia driver from a console session, I ran
    >>> startx -- -dpi 100, and got it just fine, and they look great, but a
    >>> reboot has my NVidia driver in place, but no 100 dpi fonts.
    >>>
    >>> What configuration file calls startx at the system startup?

    >>I have
    >>
    >>Option "IgnoreEdid" "true"
    >>Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    >>Option "Dpi" "96 x 96"
    >>
    >>in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >>This seems to work. You might try something similar.

    > Well, when I start X from the console, the configuration switch:
    >
    > -- -dpi 100 works. As in "Startx -- -dpi 100"
    >
    > There are 100 dpi fonts. I don't get this 96 dpi stuff (sounds too
    > much like Windows) or how it would fit in, but I will try it out.
    > Thanks.

    I wasn't very clear. In my case I was aiming for 96 dpi, and the options in
    xorg.conf I mentioned seem to provide that.

    In your case, replace "96 x 96" with "100 x 100". Make a backup of
    xorg.conf first though, just in case...

    --
    Don

  8. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:-

    > Suse runs a script that keeps the login, and x up, even if one kills X
    >with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc. You have to kill it three times or more to get a
    >console up that doesn't have x running somewhere.

    If you start in runlevel 5, which is the default if you install a GUI,
    KDM, GDM or XDM are automatically respawned if they die. This also
    includes when you try to kill them using CTRL-ALT-BKSP.

    To get round that, press CTRL-ALT-Fx, where x is 1 to 6, and you will
    get a console. Log in to that as root and type the command "init 3" to
    kill X. Once you've finished the things you need to do to configure X,
    type the command "init 5 && exit" to restart X and log you out of the
    console.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  9. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 03:02:05 +0100, David Bolt
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:-
    >

    >> Suse runs a script that keeps the login, and x up, even if one kills X
    >>with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc. You have to kill it three times or more to get a
    >>console up that doesn't have x running somewhere.

    >If you start in runlevel 5, which is the default if you install a GUI,
    >KDM, GDM or XDM are automatically respawned if they die. This also
    >includes when you try to kill them using CTRL-ALT-BKSP.
    >
    >To get round that, press CTRL-ALT-Fx, where x is 1 to 6, and you will
    >get a console. Log in to that as root and type the command "init 3" to
    >kill X. Once you've finished the things you need to do to configure X,
    >type the command "init 5 && exit" to restart X and log you out of the
    >console.

    Thanks, but that STILL does not answer the question of getting X to
    start with the 100 dpi fonts.

    I already knew how to start a console session in that manner.

    Now that I have the upgraded Nvidia drivers in place, I want X to begin
    starting with the 100 dpi fonts, and I can do that with:
    startx -- -dpi 100

    But I want the suse auto-run script to do it. Hence the title of the
    thread.

  10. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:-

    >On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 03:02:05 +0100, David Bolt

    >>To get round that, press CTRL-ALT-Fx, where x is 1 to 6, and you will
    >>get a console. Log in to that as root and type the command "init 3" to
    >>kill X. Once you've finished the things you need to do to configure X,
    >>type the command "init 5 && exit" to restart X and log you out of the
    >>console.
    >>

    > Thanks, but that STILL does not answer the question of getting X to
    >start with the 100 dpi fonts.
    >
    > I already knew how to start a console session in that manner.

    You may know how to start a console, but it did appear that you didn't
    know how to stop X, and the login screen, from restarting. If you did
    know how to do that, why would you have written this:

    >>> Suse runs a script that keeps the login, and x up, even if one kills X
    >>>with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc. You have to kill it three times or more to get a
    >>>console up that doesn't have x running somewhere.

    > Now that I have the upgraded Nvidia drivers in place, I want X to begin
    >starting with the 100 dpi fonts, and I can do that with:
    > startx -- -dpi 100
    >
    > But I want the suse auto-run script to do it. Hence the title of the
    >thread.

    Well, I'm not sure if this will work or not:

    1, backup /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc;
    2, edit /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and change the line:

    args=""

    args="-dpi 100"

    3, drop to runlevel 3 and then return back to runlevel 5. Using a root
    console and the command:

    init 3 && init 5 && exit

    will do the job.

    If it works, you'll have X started at 100dpi. If not, I've no idea.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

  11. Re: Setting 100 dpi on boot

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:55:46 +0100, David Bolt
    wrote:

    >You may know how to start a console, but it did appear that you didn't
    >know how to stop X, and the login screen, from restarting. If you did
    >know how to do that, why would you have written this:

    The three shot kill is the other way to stop the auto login.

    thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread