10.3 update install question - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 update install question - Suse ; OK, 10.3 fixes some video issues with the machines I have and the updated YAST is much better. Now I want to update a couple of other machines but I have some software (specifically, DB2) loaded. While I am willing ...

  1. 10.3 update install question

    OK, 10.3 fixes some video issues with the machines I have and the updated
    YAST is much better. Now I want to update a couple of other machines but I
    have some software (specifically, DB2) loaded. While I am willing to take
    my chances (backups galore) I don't want to actually just blow off the
    commercial apps like DB2.

    So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation DVD
    or what?

    --
    Will Honea

  2. Re: 10.3 update install question

    Will Honea wrote:

    > OK, 10.3 fixes some video issues with the machines I have and the updated
    > YAST is much better. Now I want to update a couple of other machines but
    > I have some software (specifically, DB2) loaded. While I am willing to
    > take my chances (backups galore) I don't want to actually just blow off
    > the commercial apps like DB2.
    >
    > So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    > Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation
    > DVD or what?

    my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw
    --
    Suse 10.2 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: 10.3 update install question

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Will Honea wrote:-

    >OK, 10.3 fixes some video issues with the machines I have and the updated
    >YAST is much better. Now I want to update a couple of other machines but I
    >have some software (specifically, DB2) loaded. While I am willing to take
    >my chances (backups galore) I don't want to actually just blow off the
    >commercial apps like DB2.
    >
    >So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    >Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation DVD
    >or what?

    Something like that. It doesn't mean you can't force it to keep the apps
    you want. All you need to do is go under the package manager and lock
    the packages you want to keep. If it complains about broken
    dependencies, you then get to choose whether to keep them, ignore the
    broken dependencies and hope the system doesn't become unstable, or
    remove the packages and hope that there's an upgrade available that will
    work on 10.3.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  4. Re: 10.3 update install question

    Bill P wrote:

    > Will Honea wrote:
    >
    >> OK, 10.3 fixes some video issues with the machines I have and the updated
    >> YAST is much better. Now I want to update a couple of other machines but
    >> I have some software (specifically, DB2) loaded. While I am willing to
    >> take my chances (backups galore) I don't want to actually just blow off
    >> the commercial apps like DB2.
    >>
    >> So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    >> Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation
    >> DVD or what?
    >>

    > my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw

    OK, the proposed removal screen wants to trash the Java 1.18 and 1.42 IBM
    supplied, but I have already satisfied myself that 1.5 is acceptable, so I
    guess it's time for a sacrificial machine to see what REALLY happens. I
    just hope that the video improvements I saw on the test machine persist to
    at least make the update worthwhile.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: 10.3 update install question

    Bill P wrote:
    >> So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    >> Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation
    >> DVD or what?
    >>

    > my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw

    These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    software. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  6. Re: 10.3 update install question

    houghi wrote:

    > Bill P wrote:
    >>> So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    >>> Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation
    >>> DVD or what?
    >>>

    >> my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw

    > These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    > that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    > software. ;-)

    True, true. My confusion came from the fact that IBM does support DB2 (for
    example) quite extensively - but through their own system - does that count
    as unsupported???

    Anyway, the question is moot. As pointed out in several threads here, the
    update path is chancy so I tried a cloned copy first and learned the joys
    of dependency hell first hand. When it got to the point of needing to
    remove things essential to the 10.3 base, I figured I was at the
    eating-its-young stage and decided to go the tried and true method: clean
    install then re-install and reload/restore as needed for the odd stuff.
    Faster, more certain, and informative.

    I will say that the update experience was useful, tho. I didn't realize
    just how much junk I had acquired on that machine! It was house cleaning
    time anyway.

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: 10.3 update install question

    Will Honea wrote:
    > houghi wrote:

    >>> my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw

    >> These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    >> that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    >> software. ;-)

    > True, true. My confusion came from the fact that IBM does support DB2 (for
    > example) quite extensively - but through their own system - does that count
    > as unsupported???

    Suse installer approaches the issue from Suse POV.
    If software is supported by the distro maintainers, it's supported.

    If software is not supported by the distro maintainers, it's unsupported.

    If support is coming from a somewhere else, the installer has no clue.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  8. Re: 10.3 update install question

    Vahis wrote:

    > Will Honea wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:

    >>> These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    >>> that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    >>> software. ;-)

    >> True, true. My confusion came from the fact that IBM does support DB2
    >> (for example) quite extensively - but through their own system - does
    >> that count as unsupported???

    > Suse installer approaches the issue from Suse POV.
    > If software is supported by the distro maintainers, it's supported.
    >
    > If software is not supported by the distro maintainers, it's unsupported.
    >
    > If support is coming from a somewhere else, the installer has no clue.

    That fits - DB2 installs Java 1.1.8 and 1.4.2 as a CYA maneuver in case the
    default version already installed doesn't work. The update wanted to
    remove those but left the actual DB2 stuff alone. Not a problem once I
    figured out what it wanted to do.

    It was pretty clear that the primary problem was that I had used this
    machine to check out a lot of other stuff and had a wierd mix of i586 and
    i686 file versions from multiple sources which really got it confused.
    Lesson learned - set up one box to play with and only put the necessary
    stuff on the machines that really matter. Give me a few more updates and
    even an old phart like me will figure it out .

    --
    Will Honea

  9. Re: 10.3 update install question

    houghi wrote:
    >Bill P wrote:
    >>> So what exactly does the option to "remove unsupported software" imply?
    >>> Does that include removal of ALL software not found on the installation
    >>> DVD or what?
    >>>

    >> my experience is yes, it will remove all unsupported sw

    >These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    >that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    >software. ;-)

    That's only part of the question. For instance, will it
    delete the contents of /home/* . There is no reason to
    even touch /home unless a reformatting is taking place and
    you can control that.

    I can't answer for 10.3 since I've not installed it yet.
    (Cowardly waiting for the boxed set to arrive.)

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: 10.3 update install question

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Paul J Gans wrote:-

    >houghi wrote:

    >>These guys and girls at openSUSE are realy smart. Who would have thought
    >>that an option "remove unsupported software" would remove unsupported
    >>software. ;-)

    >That's only part of the question.

    It is?

    >For instance, will it
    >delete the contents of /home/* .

    Why would it even consider touching /home ?

    If you're performing an upgrade which was the question posed by the OP,
    10.3 will pick up the partitioning and use whatever partitions are
    specified to perform the install. The only problem may occur if you have
    a system with drives on different buses[0].

    >There is no reason to
    >even touch /home unless a reformatting is taking place and
    >you can control that.

    If you do a fresh install, then you might have a risk of it deciding to
    delete, or format, /home only for it to create a new /home elsewhere.
    But, as you said, you have complete control over that.

    >I can't answer for 10.3 since I've not installed it yet.
    >(Cowardly waiting for the boxed set to arrive.)

    Nothing wrong with that, even though it'll be even slower than the
    bittorrent for the PPC version at arriving :-|

    [0] Which means I might be in for fun when I update a box with mixed
    PATA and SATA devices. The phrase "living in interesting times" comes to
    mind :-) Or should that be :-( Time will tell, so I'll go half and half
    :-|

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

+ Reply to Thread