One day old 10.2 to 10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on One day old 10.2 to 10.3? - Suse ; I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk seems to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 ...

  1. One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next
    version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk seems
    to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 other than one
    brief mention here which made me think it's okay if I haven't altered 10.2.
    As I only finished the install yesterday and did nothing but try the news
    reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I have no idea how this is done in the
    Linux world...is it as simple as just downloading the ISO, burning the DVD
    and installing?

    thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    TS Mathews wrote:

    > I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next
    > version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk
    > seems to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 other
    > than one brief mention here which made me think it's okay if I haven't
    > altered 10.2. As I only finished the install yesterday and did nothing but
    > try the news reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I have no idea how this is
    > done in the Linux world...is it as simple as just downloading the ISO,
    > burning the DVD and installing?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Tim

    Download the CD or DVD. Burn it. Put it in your computer and reboot. Then
    install it just like you did 10.2. Since you really haven't used 10.2 or
    put anything on it (docs, photos etc.) I would just do a fresh install.

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > TS Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next
    >> version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk
    >> seems to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 other
    >> than one brief mention here which made me think it's okay if I haven't
    >> altered 10.2. As I only finished the install yesterday and did nothing
    >> but
    >> try the news reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I have no idea how this is
    >> done in the Linux world...is it as simple as just downloading the ISO,
    >> burning the DVD and installing?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Tim

    > Download the CD or DVD. Burn it. Put it in your computer and reboot. Then
    > install it just like you did 10.2. Since you really haven't used 10.2 or
    > put anything on it (docs, photos etc.) I would just do a fresh install.

    Just to make sure I'm reading you right. I was hoping I wouldn't have to
    uninstall or remove 10.2 first and/or do anything to my already created
    partitions. Are you saying that when I start the installation, I'll get a
    prompt to the effect, "install" or "upgrade" and I can just select install
    and it will either re-accomplish the partitioning or reformat the various
    partitions and give me what in effect becomes a fresh, clean install?

    Oh, please, tell me I'm reading you right!!! ;-)

  4. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    TS Mathews wrote:
    > Just to make sure I'm reading you right. I was hoping I wouldn't have to
    > uninstall or remove 10.2 first and/or do anything to my already created
    > partitions. Are you saying that when I start the installation, I'll get a
    > prompt to the effect, "install" or "upgrade" and I can just select install
    > and it will either re-accomplish the partitioning or reformat the various
    > partitions and give me what in effect becomes a fresh, clean install?
    >
    > Oh, please, tell me I'm reading you right!!! ;-)

    You can do anything you like. During the installation you can use the
    partitions you had already or do whatever you desire. This is Linux, YOU
    decide what you want to do.

    About 95% of the questions asked about Linux can be answerd with YES.
    ;-)

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  5. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    houghi wrote:
    This is Linux, YOU
    > decide what you want to do.
    >
    > About 95% of the questions asked about Linux can be answerd with YES.
    > ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    I am guessing "Will it get me laid?" falls in that 5%

  6. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    Tony wrote:

    > I am guessing "Will it get me laid?" falls in that 5%

    I know of at least one person who got laid because of it. Ok, only one,
    but still.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  7. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    TS Mathews wrote:

    >"Chris" wrote in message
    >> TS Mathews wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next
    >>> version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk
    >>> seems to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 other
    >>> than one brief mention here which made me think it's okay if I haven't
    >>> altered 10.2. As I only finished the install yesterday and did nothing
    >>> but
    >>> try the news reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I have no idea how this is
    >>> done in the Linux world...is it as simple as just downloading the ISO,
    >>> burning the DVD and installing?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> Tim

    >> Download the CD or DVD. Burn it. Put it in your computer and reboot. Then
    >> install it just like you did 10.2. Since you really haven't used 10.2 or
    >> put anything on it (docs, photos etc.) I would just do a fresh install.
    >>

    >Just to make sure I'm reading you right. I was hoping I wouldn't have to
    >uninstall or remove 10.2 first and/or do anything to my already created
    >partitions. Are you saying that when I start the installation, I'll get a
    >prompt to the effect, "install" or "upgrade" and I can just select install
    >and it will either re-accomplish the partitioning or reformat the various
    >partitions and give me what in effect becomes a fresh, clean install?

    >Oh, please, tell me I'm reading you right!!! ;-)

    The answer is yes. Just choose "install".

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    houghi wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I am guessing "Will it get me laid?" falls in that 5%

    > I know of at least one person who got laid because of it. Ok, only one,
    > but still.
    >
    > houghi

    “If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to
    the library.”

    Frank Zappa, American composer, fl. 1940-1993

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  9. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    "Paul J Gans" wrote in message
    > TS Mathews wrote:
    >
    >>"Chris" wrote in message

    >>> Download the CD or DVD. Burn it. Put it in your computer and reboot.
    >>> Then
    >>> install it just like you did 10.2. Since you really haven't used 10.2 or
    >>> put anything on it (docs, photos etc.) I would just do a fresh install.
    >>>

    >>Just to make sure I'm reading you right. I was hoping I wouldn't have to
    >>uninstall or remove 10.2 first and/or do anything to my already created
    >>partitions. Are you saying that when I start the installation, I'll get a
    >>prompt to the effect, "install" or "upgrade" and I can just select install
    >>and it will either re-accomplish the partitioning or reformat the various
    >>partitions and give me what in effect becomes a fresh, clean install?

    >>Oh, please, tell me I'm reading you right!!! ;-)

    > The answer is yes. Just choose "install".

    Well, I've done it and it went badly. It all seemed to work just fine but
    when it was time to actually start the program, I got a blank screen. I
    waited for quite a while, thinking perhaps that despite the fact that I
    wasn't seeing any light or other indicator that there was either hard disk
    activity or something going on, something was still happening. After much
    longer than on any previous install attempt (I waited at least twenty
    minutes) I thought it might simply be some sort of glitch which has stopped
    the system. So, I restarted and got the same thing...it appeared to be
    starting normally but a few seconds into it, I got the blank screen and
    nothing...no keyboard input accepted, no mouse input etc.

    I then shut down and restarted with the installation disk inside and tried
    the repair feature which then appeared to run but nothing changed.

    So, having no options as I had no control over my system and, thus, couldn't
    even boot into XP, I started over and will just have to wait a bit for 10.3
    to be around for a bit.

    Thanks to all for your help.

  10. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    On 2007-10-05 17:25, TS Mathews wrote:
    > I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the next
    > version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade talk seems
    > to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to 10.3 other than one
    > brief mention here which made me think it's okay if I haven't altered 10.2.
    > As I only finished the install yesterday and did nothing but try the news
    > reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I have no idea how this is done in the
    > Linux world...is it as simple as just downloading the ISO, burning the DVD
    > and installing?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Tim

    I installed opensuse 10.2 on a very new box some days ago, just to discover
    that the network hardware needed a path before working, and I could not install
    the patch without network, so I went home to get another network card as a temp
    fix, and then discovered that 10.3 was out.

    I downloaded it, burned a DVD, vent back and did install/upgrade , without a
    single error, and configured that NIC , and the printer that was not supported
    either with from my old 10.2 CD.

    So, unless you already have installed software from other repositories, the
    upgrade will go very fast (20 minutes) and work (for once)

    /bb

  11. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    On 2007-10-06 00:39, houghi wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I am guessing "Will it get me laid?" falls in that 5%

    > I know of at least one person who got laid because of it. Ok, only one,
    > but still.
    >
    > houghi

    One more here ;-)

    If Tony mean "will it get me ****ed" it falls in that 5% ,
    so he is partly right.

    /bb

  12. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    birre wrote:
    > On 2007-10-05 17:25, TS Mathews wrote:
    >> I just decided to install Open Suse 10.2 yesterday not realizing the
    >> next version was available today. On the Open Suse site, all upgrade
    >> talk seems to be from rc2 to 10.3 and I found nothing about 10.2 to
    >> 10.3 other than one brief mention here which made me think it's okay
    >> if I haven't altered 10.2. As I only finished the install yesterday
    >> and did nothing but try the news reader, I'm assuming I'm okay but I
    >> have no idea how this is done in the Linux world...is it as simple as
    >> just downloading the ISO, burning the DVD and installing?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Tim
    >>

    > I installed opensuse 10.2 on a very new box some days ago, just to discover
    > that the network hardware needed a path before working, and I could not
    > install
    > the patch without network, so I went home to get another network card as
    > a temp
    > fix, and then discovered that 10.3 was out.
    >
    > I downloaded it, burned a DVD, vent back and did install/upgrade ,
    > without a single error, and configured that NIC , and the printer that
    > was not supported
    > either with from my old 10.2 CD.
    >
    > So, unless you already have installed software from other repositories,
    > the upgrade will go very fast (20 minutes) and work (for once)
    >
    > /bb

    10.3 is amazingly good version

    Like I wrote last Friday, I did the same from 10.0 to 10.3.
    That server had been running two years, no external software except
    webalizer.

    I also made a 10.2 desktop to 10.3 with Packman, Guru, Videolan stuff on
    it just to try how it would work. I chose "Just upgrade installed
    software and remove unsupported packages"

    There were dependency issues but I kept clicking on the installer's
    proposals till I got it over with.

    That solving stage took some time so I guess a fresh install would have
    been a lot faster.

    But it works

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  13. Re: One day old 10.2 to 10.3?

    On 2007-10-08 17:29, Vahis wrote:

    > I also made a 10.2 desktop to 10.3 with Packman, Guru, Videolan stuff on
    > it just to try how it would work. I chose "Just upgrade installed
    > software and remove unsupported packages"
    >
    > There were dependency issues but I kept clicking on the installer's
    > proposals till I got it over with.
    >
    > That solving stage took some time so I guess a fresh install would have
    > been a lot faster.
    >
    > But it works
    >
    > Vahis

    Yes, in my case the 10.2 had never even got out to Internet, so there was no
    nvidia drivers or packman packages.

    So, this upgrade was pure opensuse packages, so, they at least do what we can
    expect, but making an error free upgrade of the OS.
    In this case, the upgrade was faster then a fresh install, since it skipped
    most configurations.

    Packman is always a problem if one upgrade to early, since they must need
    some time to build all their packages for it first.
    (I love those guys, working hard for us)

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread