suse 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on suse 10.3 - Suse ; Hi, Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired things? Just asking before I install it :-) Gert...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: suse 10.3

  1. suse 10.3

    Hi,

    Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    things?
    Just asking before I install it :-)

    Gert

  2. Re: suse 10.3

    Hi there,

    Gert wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)


    I've only been running it for 4 hours, but here is a brief rundown...

    Install. Installer works fine, takes 1 hr from Internet on ADSL2+.

    Configure. Here is where some problems start. X doesn't recognise
    my XFX 7900GS common-as-muck consumer graphics card, so refuses to
    let me do high-res on my 22". Spent 2 hrs fixing.

    Thats as far as I've gone with it. Some things I already like (the
    tool to download community repo list is neat, although it would be
    better if it used local mirrors). Compiz-Fusion is included, but do
    you think it has gotten easier to install and run this software?
    Not at all. After installing it there is no easy tray app to start
    it or anything I can find. Useless. I also feel a central app to
    allow config of ALL aspects of the OS is needed. I mean you change
    KDE's look with KCC, then change other stuff with Yast. An all-in-
    one configurator would make more sense to newbies. Oh and that
    horrid SUSE styled menu is retained in 10.3 - gimme the KDE default
    over that one anyday...

    So, give it a go perhaps? If it works first time that'll be great,
    but I haven't been 100% lucky so far...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...



  3. Re: suse 10.3

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Gert wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or
    >> weired things?
    >> Just asking before I install it :-)

    >
    > I've only been running it for 4 hours, but here is a brief rundown...
    >
    > Compiz-Fusion is included, but do
    > you think it has gotten easier to install and run this software?
    > Not at all. After installing it there is no easy tray app to start
    > it or anything I can find.


    there are 2 tray apps: fusion-icon and compiztray though Suse does not
    provide them
    >


    --
    Suse 10.2 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: suse 10.3

    Gert wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)
    >


    compiz fusion IMHO, is more buggy than many Beryl versions I tried... at
    least on my 6600GT with the Nvidia drivers (as downloaded via the Nvidia
    respository that openSUSE can use).

    Under compiz, the RandR desktop applet reports %1 for the frequency
    of the display instead of the actual number.

    Even with a high speed link, scanning and caching the repositories
    still takes a long time (a minute or more)... so we still don't have
    ultra-fast updates like we had back in the 8.2 to 9.x days. But
    if you're happy with 10.x already, then you already know about that.

    My box has several SCSI adapters... module loads seem to be MUCH
    slower than before... so my boot up time has actually increased.

    Nice things:
    1. the easy way of adding certain well known repositories.
    2. You can optionally enable upgrades in addition to updates for
    packages.
    3. If you're a Gnome fan-boy... Gnome is probably better than
    it used to be.

    Not so nice:
    1. Only knows about certain repositories... rest have to be
    done manually... just like earlier 10.x's.
    2. Compiz/fusion doesn't appear to be any better... in fact,
    I'd argue it's worse. Very, VERY, poor integration with KDE.
    3. If you're a KDE fanboy, KDE is starting to show signs
    that it plays second fiddle to Gnome in openSUSE.... It works
    ok, but it's clear that not a lot of work was done on it (e.g.
    seems like it wasn't that interesting to the developers?).

    All in all... feels like a small incremental upgrade to 10.2,
    though obviously there are some radical differences, just nothing
    that makes you stand up and take notice. If you're happy with
    10.2, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet.

    So... nothing horribly weird. Having mp3 support built-in is
    nice... but since there's a plethora of codecs for which you'll
    still be handling the "old" way... it's not all that important.

  5. Re: suse 10.3

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Configure. Here is where some problems start. X doesn't recognise
    > my XFX 7900GS common-as-muck consumer graphics card, so refuses to
    > let me do high-res on my 22". Spent 2 hrs fixing.


    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.



    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  6. Re: suse 10.3

    Gert writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)
    >
    > Gert


    I have a couple problems with newly installed suse 10.3.

    1. i386 version - I cannot join a samba domain.

    Samba PDC is Samba 3.0.23c on RedHat9.0. I have had not problem
    joining domain with Samba 3.0.22 from Suse 10.1 and Windows Server
    2003. This is the error I get:
    =================
    [2007/10/06 07:35:15, 0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(304)
    error setting trust account password: NT code 0x1c010002
    Unable to join domain CELLPLAN.
    =================

    Anyone seen this problem? Know a fix?

    2. It seems there are some 32bit rpm packages missing from x86_64 DVD
    iso. I want to configure LDAP as a user data source, yast prompts to
    install the following 32bit packages which do not exist in the DVD iso:
    - samba-client-32bit
    - pam_ldap-32bit
    - nss_ldap-32bit
    Is this as expected for x86_64 DVD?

    --
    Leigh Wedding
    leigh.wedding@telstra.DELETE-this.com

  7. Re: suse 10.3

    Hi all,

    Yes, one weird thing that I saw in 10.1, was fixed in 10.2, but is
    back in 10.3:

    The way Firefox displays Thai fonts is not right. In the Thai writing
    system, sometimes you need to assemble multiple characters and display
    them in one single space (one above the other). Firefox instead,
    spreads each one of these characters over its own space.

    Yeah, this is not Earth shattering, but it's annoying nevertheless.
    Something that was working fine before...

    BTW, this doesn't happen with Konqueror, and I almost never bother
    looking at Thai texts anyway.

    yours,
    Andy


  8. Re: suse 10.3

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:31:26 +0200, Gert wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)
    >
    > Gert


    Well, my install was faster and way more legible than my attempt at
    a 10.2 install was. I tested the "media player" and found it failed
    at www.cbc.ca/radio picked radio 1. Media player showed but never
    even attempted to play and I could not get it to do anything.
    also I logged on as root and forker to a non-root user and when using
    alt-ctrl-F7 after new session was started to return to root the screen
    froze. I used alt-ctrl-F1 to get a command prompt and logon to root in
    text mode, but it kept on flashing back and forth bewteen X-window
    and text screen without any provocation on my part. For now I plan
    to giveit a rest and wait for some fixed to be applied so it is more
    stable.

    Hardware: HP AMD 64-x2, 1G of main memory, nv ge video running it in
    32 bit mode.

    By the by. Both fiesty dawn (kubuntu 7.04) and Freespire 2.0.0 work fine
    on the machine and do "media player" very well, both in radio and video.


  9. Re: suse 10.3

    Gert wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)
    >
    > Gert

    went well for me, only no graphical display until I recompiled my Nvidia
    drivers
    --
    Suse 10.2 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  10. Re: suse 10.3

    Hi there,

    houghi wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Configure. Here is where some problems start. X doesn't recognise
    >>my XFX 7900GS common-as-muck consumer graphics card, so refuses to
    >>let me do high-res on my 22". Spent 2 hrs fixing.

    >
    >
    > How to confiure the GUI.
    >
    > This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    > does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    > (as far as you know) works perfectly.


    I fixed it fine, but it took 2 hrs. X still thinks I have a vesa
    frambuffer device, and Sax2 will only let me create 1600x1200 on
    that, so I forget about SaX2 and just use nvidia-settings as root
    to make any changes to xorg.conf - somehow that trashed the font
    path which is the part that took time to fix. It works fine now,
    and I figured out Compiz-Fusion so now I've a nice looking desktop
    at 2048x1536 with some subtle fx added.

    My next gripe is that after hitting enter to boot 10.3 from grub
    I don't get a nice aesthetic bootsplash with progress bar - just
    the boot messages scrolling up the screen. Does anyone know a
    fix for that issue? I would rather see the soothing green than a
    pile of text...

    I'm starting to really like 10.3 - its a pity these early config
    problems have happened else I would give it a very good score.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...



  11. Re: suse 10.3

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:18:23 +0000, Andy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Yes, one weird thing that I saw in 10.1, was fixed in 10.2, but is
    > back in 10.3:
    >
    > The way Firefox displays Thai fonts is not right. In the Thai writing
    > system, sometimes you need to assemble multiple characters and display
    > them in one single space (one above the other). Firefox instead,
    > spreads each one of these characters over its own space.
    >
    > Yeah, this is not Earth shattering, but it's annoying nevertheless.
    > Something that was working fine before...
    >
    > BTW, this doesn't happen with Konqueror, and I almost never bother
    > looking at Thai texts anyway.
    >
    > yours,
    > Andy


    I wound up installing things like Netscape 9, Firefox and Thunderbird in a
    hidden directory in my /home folder and linking the binary to the bin
    folder in my home directory. This allows me to update it from itself
    rather than depend on an rpm to do it. I use the 64 bit version of the OS
    and run 32 bit browsers mostly for plugin compatibility. For Konqueror, I
    use the 32 bit version of nsplugin so I can use 32 bit plugins with the 64
    bit Konqueror. I name the directory that all the gecko stuff is installed
    in .gecko. I'm the only user so this works well for me.


    Dave

  12. Re: suse 10.3

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > I fixed it fine, but it took 2 hrs. X still thinks I have a vesa
    > frambuffer device, and Sax2 will only let me create 1600x1200 on
    > that, so I forget about SaX2 and just use nvidia-settings as root
    > to make any changes to xorg.conf - somehow that trashed the font
    > path which is the part that took time to fix. It works fine now,
    > and I figured out Compiz-Fusion so now I've a nice looking desktop
    > at 2048x1536 with some subtle fx added.


    Just installed it and it doesn't want to run my second screen. :-( Looks
    as if they went back to what Sax2 was in 10.1. The 10.1 did not do it
    correctly either.

    Even running `sax2 -b /usr/share/sac/protocols/Matrox(whatever)` dit not
    solve and neither copying my old xorg.conf. Very strange.
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=331550

    The other thing that was REALY, REALY REALY scary was the renaming of my
    first and second IDE devoces to sda and sdb and renaming the 5th and 6th
    to hda1 and hda2. This means that if I had not realy seriously had payed
    attention, it would have formatted a very importand drive.

    Standard they are called hdf and hdg and I look out that they are not
    overwritten. I use hda for installation of the new OS and suddenly hda
    is my most importand drive. Damn that is scary stuff.

    A reboot to 10.2 caused problems with the pointing of whatever it was it
    should have pointed to. Luckily I know how to edit the lines. This was
    most likely because of my fault misconfiguring grub.


    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  13. Re: suse 10.3

    houghi wrote:
    > Even running `sax2 -b /usr/share/sac/protocols/Matrox(whatever)` dit not
    > solve and neither copying my old xorg.conf. Very strange.
    > https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=331550


    Even weirder is that the xorg.conf from 10.3 works in 10.2. :-/

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  14. Re: suse 10.3

    Gert wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am curious about your experience with the new 10.3. Any problems or weired
    > things?
    > Just asking before I install it :-)
    >
    > Gert


    Greetings,
    I'm having GUI issues with my Acer AL2216W and the PNY 6600 GTS video
    card. Will (as ususal) sort it out following houghi excellent
    instructions and/or some hand editing with vi of my xorg.conf file. I
    never seem to be able to get it all correct with sax2.

    However that may have to wait as I'm scheduled to visit my mother in law
    this weekend. Can 10.3 fix that for me?
    Tom

  15. Re: suse 10.3

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > However that may have to wait as I'm scheduled to visit my mother in law
    > this weekend. Can 10.3 fix that for me?


    Sorry. You can not solve a social problem with a technical solution.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  16. Re: suse 10.3

    houghi wrote:
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >> However that may have to wait as I'm scheduled to visit my mother in law
    >> this weekend. Can 10.3 fix that for me?

    >
    > Sorry. You can not solve a social problem with a technical solution.
    >
    > houghi


    LOL.

    Suse has solved mine several times though.

    Instead of a social call I've spent hours with my computers, like today.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  17. Re: suse 10.3

    houghi wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> I fixed it fine, but it took 2 hrs. X still thinks I have a vesa
    >> frambuffer device, and Sax2 will only let me create 1600x1200 on
    >> that, so I forget about SaX2 and just use nvidia-settings as root
    >> to make any changes to xorg.conf - somehow that trashed the font
    >> path which is the part that took time to fix. It works fine now,
    >> and I figured out Compiz-Fusion so now I've a nice looking desktop
    >> at 2048x1536 with some subtle fx added.

    >
    > Just installed it and it doesn't want to run my second screen. :-( Looks
    > as if they went back to what Sax2 was in 10.1. The 10.1 did not do it
    > correctly either.
    >
    > Even running `sax2 -b /usr/share/sac/protocols/Matrox(whatever)` dit not
    > solve and neither copying my old xorg.conf. Very strange.
    > https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=331550
    >
    > The other thing that was REALY, REALY REALY scary was the renaming of my
    > first and second IDE devoces to sda and sdb and renaming the 5th and 6th
    > to hda1 and hda2. This means that if I had not realy seriously had payed
    > attention, it would have formatted a very importand drive.
    >
    > Standard they are called hdf and hdg and I look out that they are not
    > overwritten. I use hda for installation of the new OS and suddenly hda
    > is my most importand drive. Damn that is scary stuff.
    >
    > A reboot to 10.2 caused problems with the pointing of whatever it was it
    > should have pointed to. Luckily I know how to edit the lines. This was
    > most likely because of my fault misconfiguring grub.


    You should see what it does on my test box: 4 ATA devices, a couple of true
    SCSI drives, and two SATA channels. It then mixes in the card reader with
    4 device possibilities. To add to the confusion, fstab is written to mount
    the devices using the device_id identification instead of /dev/xdxn so you
    have to know the !@#$%^ disk ID string to figure out who is mounted where.
    I'm not pleased with this. Like you I want to know for sure what's getting
    used by what.

    --
    Will Honea

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread