swap partition sharing - Suse

This is a discussion on swap partition sharing - Suse ; Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3? My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first. I just downloaded 10.3 (yay torrent! and yes I'm ...

  1. swap partition sharing

    Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between openSUSE
    10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?

    My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first. I just
    downloaded 10.3 (yay torrent! and yes I'm seeding now ) and I want to try
    it out on a small, 4GB partition. Instead of splitting that 4 GB free space
    into two partitions (/ and swap), I would like to just have 10.3 reuse the
    swap partition that 10.2 is using now.

    Thanks
    --
    Chris

  2. Re: swap partition sharing

    Chris wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    > openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?

    no problem for that ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: swap partition sharing

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:30:49 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between openSUSE
    > 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?

    You should be able to share swap between any current Linux distros, the
    linux swap format hasn't changed since sometime before kernel 2.2

  4. Re: swap partition sharing

    Chris wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between openSUSE
    > 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >
    > My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first. I just
    > downloaded 10.3 (yay torrent! and yes I'm seeding now ) and I want to try
    > it out on a small, 4GB partition. Instead of splitting that 4 GB free space
    > into two partitions (/ and swap), I would like to just have 10.3 reuse the
    > swap partition that 10.2 is using now.

    I have four distros split two each on two physical hard drives. They
    share a single 1.38G swap partition on the first drive. There are not
    two SUSE distros, but that should not make any difference, as long as
    each has been told, during install, which partition to use for swap.

    --
    Virg Wall

  5. Re: swap partition sharing

    Chris wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    > openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >
    > My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first.

    Just don't forget to change resume=/dev/[hda|sda]X to noresume in both
    menu.lst entries.
    There is no way that resume will work in another version.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: swap partition sharing

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:31:49 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    >> openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >>
    >> My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first.

    > Just don't forget to change resume=/dev/[hda|sda]X to noresume in both
    > menu.lst entries.
    > There is no way that resume will work in another version.

    Please explain why this is the case?

  7. Re: swap partition sharing

    On 2007-10-05 06:31, Rajko M. wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    >> openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >>
    >> My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first.

    > Just don't forget to change resume=/dev/[hda|sda]X to noresume in both
    > menu.lst entries.
    > There is no way that resume will work in another version.

    That is no problem, since you don't boot to your grub menu after a suspend.

    /bb

  8. Re: swap partition sharing

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    >> openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >>
    >> My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first.

    > Just don't forget to change resume=/dev/[hda|sda]X to noresume in both
    > menu.lst entries.
    > There is no way that resume will work in another version.

    I was thinking the same thing. But I believe grub will launch the saved
    snapshot without giving a choice as to which OS to load (when s2disk is
    used).

    Then again, my machine has an ATI X1300 Pro so I can't use s2disk cause the
    ATI driver doesn't behave well enough when resuming.

    --
    Chris

  9. Re: swap partition sharing

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:31:49 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between
    >>> openSUSE 10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?
    >>>
    >>> My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first.

    >> Just don't forget to change resume=/dev/[hda|sda]X to noresume in both
    >> menu.lst entries.
    >> There is no way that resume will work in another version.

    > Please explain why this is the case?

    It seems from other responses that I found some bug (without knowing that),
    as I was able to change boot order. I know how it works in Windows, so I
    was surprised with SUSE behavior, took that as imperfection that doesn't
    mean much to me, used workaround to prevent error, and forgot everything,
    until today. I'll see is that work now.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.