10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3? - Suse ; David Bolt wrote: > On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Hendric Stattmann wrote:- > >> David Bolt wrote: >> >>> [0] Not much sharing going on there. Right now, the 32bit version has >>> only 19 seeds and 3 peers. >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: 10.3?

  1. Re: 10.3?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Hendric Stattmann wrote:-
    >
    >> David Bolt wrote:
    >>
    >>> [0] Not much sharing going on there. Right now, the 32bit version has
    >>> only 19 seeds and 3 peers.

    >> Hi David,
    >>
    >> I am seeding with 500kB/sec...
    >> Thats all my connection can do.

    >
    > That's one heck of a lot more than I could manage. I'm stuck with a
    > maximum of 30KB up, and that's shared with the 32bit DVD.


    Ha ha, over here we all have 18kB/s upstream by our national ISP, we're
    just bound to slow you all down ;P

  2. Re: 10.3?

    Vahis wrote:
    > I wonder why Guru is not on the list of community repos?


    I thought Guru was moving over to the build server. The main reason
    Packman can't is the different codecs. I would be great if everything
    was going to the build server, exept those packages that are not allowed
    to do so.

    That way people can help with building as well and build for not only
    openSUSE, but other things as well.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  3. Re: 10.3?

    EOS wrote:
    > i'm running 10.3, it's stable for me.
    > two weeks i was running RC1, it was also stable.
    > they did a great job there @ openSUSE :-)


    openSUSE is a group effort. Just so you know. It is great because also
    of bugreports and IRC meetings and everything else. Just to say thanks
    to the many people who did.

    I am still in the downloading process (That I ust started) and will be a
    regular user for a while, I think. :-/ Just not enough time.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  4. Re: 10.3?

    Vahis wrote:

    > I wonder why Guru is not on the list of community repos?


    Good question. It was on the list with RC1 - but I couldn't even get into
    the repository with ftp - just the repo root and all subdirectories were
    locked??

    I concur with the opinions on the ease of use. I still want to know how to
    figure out the RANDR system, tho - I keep getting messages that X is not
    configured from certain apps although X11.conf is certainly there. I'm not
    too surprised on the Nvidia box, but the old intel boxen are telling me
    the same story.

    --
    Will Honea

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: 10.3?

    houghi wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I was just kidding, especially since 10.1 seems to be regarded as the
    >> most buggy one at its initial release. Btw, I don't know what the
    >> poster meant with "it's full of bugs" [sic], I still have to download it
    >> and see

    >
    > Probably the bugs are fireflies and other people would see them as
    > stars. "Oh my god, it is full of stars ...."
    >
    > Yep that's it. Makes much more sense that way.
    >
    > houghi


    I've had a few crashes on individual applications.

    Firefox has crashed a few times and Thunderbird has crashed when attempting
    to get a listing of newsgroups to select. These were installed from the
    DVD. I'm using Knode right now.
    --

    arnold

  6. Re: 10.3?

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I anxiously got up at 0500 to start a torrent client to download 10.3.
    > Can't find a torrent or a mirror that is showing it yet. Isn't today the
    > release date? Any ideas when it will be available? Damn, I'm like a kid
    > on Christmas morning!
    > Tom


    Why did gwdg.de have it before download.suse.com or
    software.suse.org/download?

  7. Re: 10.3?

    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >> I anxiously got up at 0500 to start a torrent client to download 10.3.
    >> Can't find a torrent or a mirror that is showing it yet. Isn't today the
    >> release date? Any ideas when it will be available? Damn, I'm like a kid
    >> on Christmas morning!
    >> Tom

    >
    > Why did gwdg.de have it before download.suse.com or
    > software.suse.org/download?


    First of all, it may well be that all mirrors did or did not have them
    at the same time. They need to sync first to carry them

    Secondly, not all mirrors had their rights set to open to everybody.
    Some were set wrongly, so they could be downloaded in advance.

    I was among the lucky ones who happened to try downloads while the
    window was unintentionally (or intentionally) open.

    There were mirrors giving 403 errors, there were also mirrors asking for
    usernames and passwords.

    I think thet were set correctly.

    Thirdly, gwdg.de is their "own" server farm, which may or may not have
    set the right correctly before the official launch.

    Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)

    There may be other reasons

    --
    Vahis

  8. Re: 10.3?

    Vahis wrote:
    > First of all, it may well be that all mirrors did or did not have them
    > at the same time. They need to sync first to carry them


    The reason this is, is so that all mirrors are ready when the official
    release is done. In the past what happend was that they would go 'live'
    and everybody was looking for a working mirror. As only one mirror had
    it, that one was getting all the crap.

    People psoting what mirror they were using only worsend things and I
    belive even some mirrors pulled back for that reason.

    So what they do is server mirrors first and have the directories
    chmodded to unreadable. Then when the time is ready, all they have to do
    is chmod the directories and the mirrors will be ready very fast.

    > Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)


    and on a thursday, so that they can still do recovery and relaunch on
    friday if need be. Also that way they can ghave a great party on
    thursday and get realy, realy, realy drunk. :-D

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  9. Re: 10.3? + OT (allowed in this group)

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:


    >
    >> Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)

    >
    > and on a thursday, so that they can still do recovery and relaunch on
    > friday if need be. Also that way they can ghave a great party on
    > thursday and get realy, realy, realy drunk. :-D
    >
    > houghi


    Beer?
    --
    Vahis

  10. Re: 10.3? + OT (allowed in this group)

    Vahis wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:

    >
    >>
    >>> Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)

    >>
    >> and on a thursday, so that they can still do recovery and relaunch on
    >> friday if need be. Also that way they can ghave a great party on
    >> thursday and get realy, realy, realy drunk. :-D
    >>

    >
    > Beer?


    Yes and then listen to Zappa.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  11. Re: 10.3? + OT (allowed in this group)

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Vahis wrote:
    >>>> Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)
    >>> and on a thursday, so that they can still do recovery and relaunch on
    >>> friday if need be. Also that way they can ghave a great party on
    >>> thursday and get realy, realy, realy drunk. :-D
    >>>

    >> Beer?

    >
    > Yes and then listen to Zappa.
    >
    > houghi


    Anything Anytime Anywhere For No Reason At All

    And they do have a good reason for Titties And Beer!

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  12. Re: 10.3?

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:-

    >Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >> I anxiously got up at 0500 to start a torrent client to download 10.3.
    >> Can't find a torrent or a mirror that is showing it yet. Isn't today the
    >> release date? Any ideas when it will be available? Damn, I'm like a kid
    >> on Christmas morning!
    >> Tom

    >
    >Why did gwdg.de have it before download.suse.com or
    >software.suse.org/download?


    From looking at the previous releases, it appears that gwdg.de is the
    main mirror and the others sync from them. And the reason for me
    thinking this? Well, when I first started alpha and beta-testing[0], a
    couple of days before each new release was due out I would search around
    a selection of the mirrors and almost always found that they had the
    images before any of the others.

    This time it appears that some of the mirrors got the permissions wrong
    and things leaked before they should have.


    [0] 10.0b3. I still have virtually all of the generated DVD images[1]
    from each release since then.

    [1] Initially using my own routines to create the DVD image, and later
    using the much more capable makeSUSEdvd (thanks again houghi ).

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3RC1 32bit

  13. Re: 10.3?

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >Vahis wrote:


    >> Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)

    >
    >and on a thursday, so that they can still do recovery and relaunch on
    >friday if need be. Also that way they can ghave a great party on
    >thursday and get realy, realy, realy drunk. :-D


    It's more likely release on a Thursday in case they need to re-launch on
    the Friday. Then, if they don't need to, they have the party of the
    Friday night and can get as drunk as desired since they won't need to be
    sober again until Monday morning :-)


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3RC1 32bit

  14. Re: 10.3?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:-
    >
    >> Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >>> Greetings,
    >>> I anxiously got up at 0500 to start a torrent client to download 10.3.
    >>> Can't find a torrent or a mirror that is showing it yet. Isn't today the
    >>> release date? Any ideas when it will be available? Damn, I'm like a kid
    >>> on Christmas morning!
    >>> Tom

    >> Why did gwdg.de have it before download.suse.com or
    >> software.suse.org/download?

    >
    > From looking at the previous releases, it appears that gwdg.de is the
    > main mirror and the others sync from them.


    I think I recall AJ confirming this some time ago, in what context, I
    don't remember.


    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  15. Re: 10.3? + OT (allowed in this group)

    Vahis wrote:
    >> Yes and then listen to Zappa.
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > Anything Anytime Anywhere For No Reason At All


    :-D

    > And they do have a good reason for Titties And Beer!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YRZV14zD-k

    And as an extra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEmQnExY0c

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  16. Re: 10.3? + OT (allowed in this group)

    Vahis wrote:

    > Beer?


    Exactly one 5l drum of Maisels Weisse for a successful installation of
    10.3. :-)

    While I am writing this from a 10.3 installation, my ktorrent is seeding at
    500k.

    Good night...

    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mödling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  17. Re: 10.3?

    Vahis wrote:

    >
    > Also a big hand to Packman and Videolan and others for bringing their
    > repositories available at an early stage
    >
    > I wonder why Guru is not on the list of community repos?


    Guru has moved to Packman. I saw that on a Swedish site:

    http://www.linuxportalen.se/node/7567

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  18. Re: 10.3?

    Vahis wrote:
    > Guru has moved to Packman. I saw that on a Swedish site:
    >
    > http://www.linuxportalen.se/node/7567


    From what I heard, they were planning to do so, yet it has not yet
    happend.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  19. Re: 10.3?

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> Guru has moved to Packman. I saw that on a Swedish site:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxportalen.se/node/7567

    >
    > From what I heard, they were planning to do so, yet it has not yet
    > happend.
    >
    > houghi


    It says what you say also on that Swedish site. But from what I see when
    trying this, something has happened:

    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.3/

    It was there a couple of days ago. 10.0 10.2 and 10.2 are still there.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2