kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2 - Suse ; i copied the kernel and initrd from installation DVD of open suse 10.2 to my boot folder #cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/linux /boot/ #cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/initrd /boot/ and copied the ISO image of Suse DVD on a partition on hard disk that was completely ...

  1. kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2

    i copied the kernel and initrd from installation DVD of open suse 10.2
    to my boot folder
    #cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/linux /boot/
    #cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/initrd /boot/

    and copied the ISO image of Suse DVD on a partition on hard disk that
    was completely free

    now I booted from kernel image that was copied by the above commands
    then I got the graphical installer screen asking me to start
    installation
    by this method I have been able to install Suse in a friends comp
    without using CDROM or DVD ROM

    what I want to know is if instead of the kernel image and initrd image
    that are on the installation DVD if I put up the kernel image and
    initrd that already are existing on a system
    i.e.
    vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default
    and initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

    the system does not begin installation

    infact it boots into the new kernel on the system.

    My question is what is the difference between the kernel images that
    are on the installation media inside openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/
    boot/i386/loader/
    (name linux and initrd )

    and the kernel images that are on the system after a fresh
    installation has taken place inside /boot/ folder
    which was able to boot the system instead of starting installation

  2. Re: kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2

    Velocity schrieb:

    > My question is what is the difference between the kernel images that
    > are on the installation media inside openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/
    > boot/i386/loader/
    > (name linux and initrd )
    >
    > and the kernel images that are on the system after a fresh
    > installation has taken place inside /boot/ folder
    > which was able to boot the system instead of starting installation

    The initrd on hard disk is made up from scratch by the "mkinitrd" skript
    during the installation. This way, only the drivers neccessary for booting
    up the installed system are included in the installed initrd. The initrd
    from the insatllation medium contains far more drivers.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  3. Re: kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2

    > The initrd on hard disk is made up from scratch by the "mkinitrd" skript
    > during the installation. This way, only the drivers neccessary for booting
    > up the installed system are included in the installed initrd. The initrd
    > from the insatllation medium contains far more drivers.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread