Hauppauge WinTV PVR250 - Suse

This is a discussion on Hauppauge WinTV PVR250 - Suse ; Took me forever to get my WinTV card going under 10.0 - what can I expect with 10.3? Will it finally "work out of the box" or will I again have to jump through a bunch of hoops? Thanks... ....Kevin ...

  1. Hauppauge WinTV PVR250

    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

  2. Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR250

    Kevin Miller wrote:

    > Took me forever to get my WinTV card going under 10.0 - what can I
    > expect with 10.3? Will it finally "work out of the box" or will I again
    > have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > ...Kevin

    I just installed mine with Suse 10.3 RC1

    The ivtv modules are included in the kernel. However, the firmware is
    located in /lib/firmware and need to be put in

    /lib/modules/ - your kernel # here - /kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug

    then things are better. Still trying to install Freevo and haven't gotten
    that running yet so there may be more to do.

    Ken D.

  3. Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR250

    Ken Dere wrote:
    > Kevin Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Took me forever to get my WinTV card going under 10.0 - what can I
    >> expect with 10.3? Will it finally "work out of the box" or will I again
    >> have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> ...Kevin

    > I just installed mine with Suse 10.3 RC1
    >
    > The ivtv modules are included in the kernel. However, the firmware is
    > located in /lib/firmware and need to be put in
    >
    > /lib/modules/ - your kernel # here - /kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug
    >
    > then things are better. Still trying to install Freevo and haven't gotten
    > that running yet so there may be more to do.
    >
    > Ken D.

    Thanks Ken. I just checked - the firmware wasn't installed by default,
    so I grabbed it via yast, then copied the firmware file over to hotplug
    firmware directory. I'll have to reboot to see that it loads properly
    at boot time. Sure a lot easier than it was previously!

    In yast there was both ivtv and ivtv firmware. I installed both the
    firmware and whatever the other is. The description didn't really
    provide much help as to what is actually needed/provided.

    But I'll play a bit and report back. Hopefully it'll all be there and
    just work...

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
    Juneau, Alaska
    Registered Linux User No: 307357

  4. Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR250

    Ken Dere wrote:
    > Kevin Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Took me forever to get my WinTV card going under 10.0 - what can I
    >> expect with 10.3? Will it finally "work out of the box" or will I again
    >> have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> ...Kevin

    > I just installed mine with Suse 10.3 RC1
    >
    > The ivtv modules are included in the kernel. However, the firmware is
    > located in /lib/firmware and need to be put in
    >
    > /lib/modules/ - your kernel # here - /kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug
    >
    > then things are better. Still trying to install Freevo and haven't gotten
    > that running yet so there may be more to do.
    >
    > Ken D.

    Thanks Ken. I just checked - the firmware wasn't installed by default,
    so I grabbed it via yast, then copied the firmware file over to hotplug
    firmware directory. I'll have to reboot to see that it loads properly
    at boot time. Sure a lot easier than it was previously!

    In yast there was both ivtv and ivtv firmware. I installed both the
    firmware and whatever the other is. The description didn't really
    provide much help as to what is actually needed/provided.

    But I'll play a bit and report back. Hopefully it'll all be there and
    just work...

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller