    chat sessions. Is it possible to use this cam on Linux 10.2 using a
    chat program like Kopete? If so, how can one get Linux to recognize it?

  2. Re: Logitech USB cam

    On 2007-10-04 03:19, scott wrote:
    > I have a Logitech USB cam I've been using on another platform for chat
    > sessions. Is it possible to use this cam on Linux 10.2 using a chat
    > program like Kopete? If so, how can one get Linux to recognize it?

    This is a gambling.

    I have 3 Logitech USB cams , only one works by itself , just plugin and use.

    For one I needed to build a kernel module, and one was hopeless.

    Logitech can even use different chip inside, but still the same model and USB
    product ID.

    If I don't remember wrong, it was a logitech messanger that was working without
    problems.

    When you buy this things, there is no information on the box about chip model or
    any useful information at all.

    Most low price webcams are in the windows only arena , so we can just hope
    logitech will change it's mind or die.

    I guess a Philips cam has bigger chance to work.

    If you will be sure, buy an Axis network camera. (cost a bit more)

    Or just a capture card with video inputs, or connect a firewire camera.

    The site www.zoneminder.com has a nice software, and links to working hardware.

    /bb

  3. Re: Logitech USB cam

    Hi Scott

    Over the years I have setup a number of "unsupported" webcams into the
    SuSE environment. Generally speaking it has always been a hardware
    support issue, ie no module in the supplied kernel. Once the V4L device
    is working, any app that uses it will be able to be used. This includes
    Kopete, GnomeMeeting or any media recording s/w.

    As much as I hate to suggest you browse around for answers I feel that
    is you best course. I have encountered a few project sites (of which the
    URL or name is not in my near term memory!) that have module code for
    all manner of cameras. You will of course need to compile these modules
    for use in your environment.

    If after this you are still stuck, email me direct and I'll see if I can
    look over it on the weekend.

    Cheers Bob

    scott wrote:

    > I have a Logitech USB cam I've been using on another platform for chat
    > sessions. Is it possible to use this cam on Linux 10.2 using a chat
    > program like Kopete? If so, how can one get Linux to recognize it?

  4. Re: Logitech USB cam

    scott wrote:

    > I have a Logitech USB cam I've been using on another platform for
    > chat sessions. Is it possible to use this cam on Linux 10.2 using a
    > chat program like Kopete? If so, how can one get Linux to recognize it?

    What model? I have a Logitech Messenger (?) webcam. When I was using the
    2.6.18 kernel that came with openSUSE 10.2, I had to compile and install a
    module to get it to work. Then I upgraded to openSUSE's 2.6.22 kernel and
    now the webcam is detected without any additional work on my part.

    I use AMSN to chat via webcam with my family. I haven't tried Kopete, but I
    would assume that it would work as well since video support is a kernel
    issue and not an application issue (most of the time that is).

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread