(I've posted this in comp.os.linux.networking, but I hope one of you are
familiar with the subject.)

I'm trying to set up a SOCKS proxy on a Gentoo server (edit: can be SUSE
too, there's no difference I guess). I know of a few that get the job
done, like srelay, 3proxy and Dante. My question is, which one is the
fastest? The only use for the relay is for gaming PCs to connect to it
in order to benefit from the server's good routing which results in
lower ping in online games. srelay was easy to set-up and works, but
which is the solution with the lowest possible latency and most suitable
for UDP-based, real-time online games? (Quake 3 Arena
anyone? )