Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically - Suse

This is a discussion on Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically - Suse ; Hi all, this would be a big help in some situations. I remember a distro sometime earlier (I can't remember whether it was a SUSE or another distro) which would retain boot options for several older kernels in GRUB whenever ...

  1. Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    Hi all, this would be a big help in some situations. I remember a distro
    sometime earlier (I can't remember whether it was a SUSE or another distro)
    which would retain boot options for several older kernels in GRUB whenever
    you updated the kernel. It/they would merely append the new kernel as a boot
    option and make it the new default kernel. Can I make SUSE do this when
    installing a new kernel? It seems that each time I get a new kernel, my old
    kernel's entry in GRUB gets overwritten. So never have the option of
    selecting an older kernel if I had problems with a new one.

    Somewhere I have a page bookmarked that showed me how to configure GRUB
    manually for this, and I did it successfully once, but I'd rather this be
    automatic.

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    kmh wrote:

    > Hi all, this would be a big help in some situations. I remember a distro
    > sometime earlier (I can't remember whether it was a SUSE or another
    > distro) which would retain boot options for several older kernels in GRUB
    > whenever you updated the kernel. It/they would merely append the new
    > kernel as a boot
    > option and make it the new default kernel. Can I make SUSE do this when
    > installing a new kernel? It seems that each time I get a new kernel, my
    > old
    > kernel's entry in GRUB gets overwritten. So never have the option of
    > selecting an older kernel if I had problems with a new one.
    >
    > Somewhere I have a page bookmarked that showed me how to configure GRUB
    > manually for this, and I did it successfully once, but I'd rather this be
    > automatic.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Woops, sorry, I am using openSUSE 10.2.

  3. Re: Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    kmh schrieb:
    > kmh wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all, this would be a big help in some situations.

    SuSE's YaST doesn't touch other items than /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.
    "make install" from the Linux kernel compile doesn't touch anything other,
    either.

    If you copy your old kernel to something like vmlinuz-2.6.18-default and add
    some grub lines for it, this would be a permanent boot option. If this
    kernel uses initrd, copy the initrd, too.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  4. Re: Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    kmh wrote:

    > Somewhere I have a page bookmarked that showed me how to configure GRUB
    > manually for this, and I did it successfully once, but I'd rather this be
    > automatic.

    If you've kept your old kernel, and initrd in /boot, (copied and renamed
    them), all you need is another entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

    --
    Virg Wall

  5. Re: Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    VWWall wrote:

    > kmh wrote:
    >>
    >> Somewhere I have a page bookmarked that showed me how to configure GRUB
    >> manually for this, and I did it successfully once, but I'd rather this be
    >> automatic.
    >>

    > If you've kept your old kernel, and initrd in /boot, (copied and renamed
    > them), all you need is another entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

    Yea, I have done that before. Just a while ago, I used YAST to clone the
    current kernel. Am I going to have to do this every time I install an
    updated kernel, though? I'd rather the system only append entries to
    menu.lst, and not delete any of them. Previous systems I have used, worked
    this way, and it was more convenient.

    Thanks,
    kmh

  6. Re: Keeping a few older kernel entries in GRUB--automatically

    kmh wrote:
    > VWWall wrote:
    >
    >> kmh wrote:
    >>> Somewhere I have a page bookmarked that showed me how to configure GRUB
    >>> manually for this, and I did it successfully once, but I'd rather this be
    >>> automatic.
    >>>

    >> If you've kept your old kernel, and initrd in /boot, (copied and renamed
    >> them), all you need is another entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    >>

    > Yea, I have done that before. Just a while ago, I used YAST to clone the
    > current kernel. Am I going to have to do this every time I install an
    > updated kernel, though? I'd rather the system only append entries to
    > menu.lst, and not delete any of them. Previous systems I have used, worked
    > this way, and it was more convenient.

    I've seen distros, (PCLOS), that used a generic vmlinuz as a link to the
    just installed kernel, leaving the old kernel's file intact. YAST
    doesn't work that way...

    --
    Virg Wall

+ Reply to Thread