openSUSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 - Suse ; I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. openSUSE 10.3

    I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Bob & Gail wrote:
    > I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    > release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia

    clean install? good luck fer you.

    beware of upgrade installs with suse, as its very instable and
    unreliable. get ready to do some manual fixation if you upgrade. 10.3
    aint no different than previous versions. not everybody's doing clean
    installs.

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Bob & Gail wrote:

    > I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    > release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    > updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    > would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    10.2's Hibernation mode used to work 100% on my computer, but it stopped
    working under 10.3

    Derk

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Ganxta Congstar wrote:
    > beware of upgrade installs with suse, as its very instable and
    > unreliable. get ready to do some manual fixation if you upgrade. 10.3
    > aint no different than previous versions. not everybody's doing clean
    > installs.

    Clean upgrades work great on clean installs. However when you add a lot
    of your own, then it will try to do its best and will fail in some
    places. I ALWAYS do a clean install.

    I even have a seperate partiotion for it and will do a dual boot for
    about a week, so I am able to move from one to the other and also have
    my old config files readily available.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Derk wrote:
    > Bob & Gail wrote:
    >
    >> I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    >> release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    >> updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    >> would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    > 10.2's Hibernation mode used to work 100% on my computer, but it stopped
    > working under 10.3

    Well, you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    Many people will rush to 10.3 because it is newer, even though they have
    no problems with what they are currently running. I am not sure yet
    wether I will go with 10.3 or not.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    houghi schrieb:

    > Clean upgrades work great on clean installs.

    Who has a clean install after a year of work? Only those who didn't touch
    their system just after the first install.

    > However when you add a lot
    > of your own, then it will try to do its best and will fail in some
    > places.

    Would be time for SuSE/Novell to improve it after all the years, the upgrade
    never worked well so far.

    > I ALWAYS do a clean install.

    I know that already from windoze. Always a clean install. Who has the time
    to re-install his whole system after every new release? Thats one of the
    reason why I for sure not upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3, I am tired to
    re-install all again and again every a few months.

    > I even have a seperate partiotion for it and will do a dual boot for
    > about a week, so I am able to move from one to the other and also have
    > my old config files readily available.

    And what kind of advantage I have then? What happen after the week? Just
    additional work, I have to re-install it anyways after day-x of testing.

    Martin.

  7. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Ganxta Congstar schrieb:

    > beware of upgrade installs with suse, as its very instable and
    > unreliable.

    Really? Well, I'm happy my computer doesn't seem to know this, as I upgraded
    form SuSE9.3 to OpenSuSE10.2 without problems some month before.

    Regards

    Jan

  8. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    houghi wrote:

    > Well, you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    That's very true, but I was curious :-)

    > Many people will rush to 10.3 because it is newer, even though they have
    > no problems with what they are currently running. I am not sure yet
    > wether I will go with 10.3 or not.

    I have 10.2 running on my new computer and installed 10.3 on an older
    machine. Before I installed I made a very complete backup of /home.
    Just in case!

    derk

  9. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > · houghi schrieb:
    >
    >> Clean upgrades work great on clean installs.

    > Who has a clean install after a year of work? Only those who didn't touch
    > their system just after the first install.
    >
    >> However when you add a lot
    >> of your own, then it will try to do its best and will fail in some
    >> places.

    > Would be time for SuSE/Novell to improve it after all the years, the
    > upgrade never worked well so far.
    >
    >> I ALWAYS do a clean install.

    > I know that already from windoze. Always a clean install. Who has the
    > time
    > to re-install his whole system after every new release? Thats one of the
    > reason why I for sure not upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3, I am tired to
    > re-install all again and again every a few months.
    >
    >> I even have a seperate partiotion for it and will do a dual boot for
    >> about a week, so I am able to move from one to the other and also have
    >> my old config files readily available.

    > And what kind of advantage I have then? What happen after the week? Just
    > additional work, I have to re-install it anyways after day-x of testing.
    >
    > Martin.

    This was a clean install, I just kept /home and everything else went
    according to plan. It is only a machine for home use, not a production
    system so I can afford to take the gamble. To date, as originally
    mentioned, it has been the best upgrade (for me anyway) I have been using
    Suse since 6.x and although I have tried other distributions always come
    back to this one. I have been fortunate enough to have worked with Unix
    (HP-UX & AIX) for many years so I am sure that helps.

  10. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Bob & Gail wrote:
    > I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    > release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    > updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    > would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    I see RC1 not a GM release yet. I will free up some space on my largest
    partition and do a new install and have a dual boot with 10.2 and 10.3
    until I'm sure 10.3 is fine and I have moved my personal stuff over there.

  11. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:25:47 -0400, Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:

    > Bob & Gail wrote:
    >> I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    >> release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    >> updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    >> would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    > I see RC1 not a GM release yet.

    http://ftp.uni-ulm.de/pub/mirrors/opensuse/

  12. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Mark South wrote:
    > http://ftp.uni-ulm.de/pub/mirrors/opensuse/

    the servers are going up and down and are quite hammered. but the
    official opensuse trackers have started up and also helping the torrents.

    you can find the 10.3 goldmaster torrents on linuxtracker org

  13. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Bob & Gail wrote:
    > This was a clean install, I just kept /home and everything else went
    > according to plan. It is only a machine for home use, not a production
    > system so I can afford to take the gamble. To date, as originally
    > mentioned, it has been the best upgrade (for me anyway) I have been using
    > Suse since 6.x and although I have tried other distributions always come
    > back to this one. I have been fortunate enough to have worked with Unix
    > (HP-UX & AIX) for many years so I am sure that helps.

    As always, YMMV and thanks for replying. I now know my killfile still
    works. I love it when people keep blaming what openSUSE should do by
    moaning instead of actualy taking steps and do something about it.

    That does not mean that they should resolve everything. Participating in
    the discussion in the aproprate place should be enough (and this is not
    it).

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  14. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Derk wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    > That's very true, but I was curious :-)

    Hey, that is a good reason. It means it fixed your curiousity.
    Yet too many people are upgrading without any knowledge.

    e.g. people talk about how 10.0 was lousy, because it was an X.0 and
    thus think that 10.1 should be better.

    The number 9, 10 and soon 11 (Hey, this one goes to 11) is just
    marketing and nothing else. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  15. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    houghi wrote:
    > Derk wrote:
    >> Bob & Gail wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    >>> release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    >>> updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    >>> would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    >> 10.2's Hibernation mode used to work 100% on my computer, but it stopped
    >> working under 10.3

    > Well, you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)
    >
    > Many people will rush to 10.3 because it is newer, even though they have
    > no problems with what they are currently running. I am not sure yet
    > wether I will go with 10.3 or not.
    >
    > houghi

    I haven't fixed my 10.0 server yet because it's not broken.

    10.1 or 10.2 gave no reason to do so.

    I even came back to 10.0 from 10.1 on my desktops. Then moved them to
    10.2 but not on the server.

    Now, as patching of 10.0 comes to an end, I'll need to do something.

    Luckily 10.3 came out in time and it seems trouble-free.

    It's good to have this 8 months version cycle, installing needed only
    every third time and the lifetime of two years is covered.

    Vahis
    --
    Linux is like a wigwam: No Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

  16. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Ganxta Congstar wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:
    >> http://ftp.uni-ulm.de/pub/mirrors/opensuse/

    > the servers are going up and down and are quite hammered. but the
    > official opensuse trackers have started up and also helping the torrents.
    >
    > you can find the 10.3 goldmaster torrents on linuxtracker org

    I've been seeding with Azureus now for two days without the official
    tracker.

    Now I've noticed that the official tracker has joined the game and the
    number of peers has gone up a lot

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  17. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    speaking of suction with opensuse 10.3, seems as if serious
    pata/sata/bootmgr/partitioning trouble is upcoming ;D

    check the thread at:

    seems as if its a real suxe after all.

  18. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Bob & Gail wrote:
    > I installed the latest GM release 24 hours ago and it is by far the best
    > release to date. The 1-Click install is brilliant and makes multimedia
    > updates so much easier. My laptop was fully operational within 2 hours. I
    > would like to thank all the people involved in a first class product.

    I downloaded the dvd. It said completed later on but I only had 1.4 gig
    instead of 4.1 gig. I can see why some may have problems.

  19. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    houghi schrieb:

    > I now know my killfile still
    > works.

    Thats why they done just for you a full quoting of my posting.

    > I love it when people keep blaming what openSUSE should do by
    > moaning instead of actualy taking steps and do something about it.

    At least I don't move other group members into a killfile if I don't agree
    with their opinion.

    Martin.

  20. Re: openSUSE 10.3

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    > Would be time for SuSE/Novell to improve it after all the years, the upgrade
    > never worked well so far.

    ???

    Hmmm.. I've done upgrades of SUSE and SLES many times.
    With that said... as for what might cause instability....

    The new openSUSE approach is considerably different from the older
    SUSE Professional approach. SUSE Prof. was more or less a managed
    release similar to SLES. Packages came from SUSE and anything else
    you might do was at your own risk. However, with openSUSE, we
    see the opening up to a plethora of repositories from everywhere.
    Some repository packages allow you to do major version level
    upgrades of key pieces of software which in turn probably means
    upgrades to a plethora of subordinate or interrelated packages.

    So what do you have? Well... if you have openSUSE 10.2, you
    have openSUSE 10.2. But since it's a fairly open platform,
    there's a good chance you have Martn's Custom openSUSE 10.2.2995.
    You'll probably have get a copy of Martin's Custom openSUSE 10.3.2996
    in order to perform a successful upgrade (sorry about the tongue
    in cheek there... just trying to make a point).

    As a release manager for over 8 years with some of the largest
    software providers, I can definitely tell you that the idea
    of an upgrade that works in all cases is VERY unlikely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast