Disappearing X - Suse

This is a discussion on Disappearing X - Suse ; I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional with a ...

  1. Disappearing X

    I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using
    either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I
    could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional
    with a console login. I shrank the disk space allotted to SuSE and
    installed Ubuntu on the end of the drive, and SuSE is still bootable.
    If I ever figure out what the problem is, I might start using SuSE
    again.

  2. Re: Disappearing X

    On 10 3 , 8 13 , tim1948 wrote:
    > I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using
    > either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I
    > could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional
    > with a console login. I shrank the disk space allotted to SuSE and
    > installed Ubuntu on the end of the drive, and SuSE is still bootable.
    > If I ever figure out what the problem is, I might start using SuSE
    > again.

    any boot error message

    drivers

    try this way

    after you boot system,press ctrl + Alt + F1 ,login as root

    # init 3
    # sax2

    configuer & save

    # init 5

    have you get the X ?

  3. Re: Disappearing X

    tim1948 wrote:

    > I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using
    > either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I
    > could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional
    > with a console login. I shrank the disk space allotted to SuSE and
    > installed Ubuntu on the end of the drive, and SuSE is still bootable.
    > If I ever figure out what the problem is, I might start using SuSE
    > again.

    Is it possible that you used Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com*, then upgraded
    your kernel, rebooted, and now need to re-install Nvidia drivers to create
    a module for the new kernel? I'm just throwing that out there because it's
    easy for me to do a kernel upgrade and reboot to no X and say "Oh yea,
    gotta do the Nvidia thing again." If this is it, make sure you also have
    the kernel *source* package installed.

    * Don't know whether reinstallation is necessary if you use nvidia driver
    RPMs for SUSE, but maybe. I get my scripts straight from nvidia.com

  4. Re: Disappearing X

    On Oct 2, 6:07 pm, muskycn wrote:
    > On 10 3 , 8 13 , tim1948 wrote:
    >
    > > I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using
    > > either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I
    > > could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional
    > > with a console login. I shrank the disk space allotted to SuSE and
    > > installed Ubuntu on the end of the drive, and SuSE is still bootable.
    > > If I ever figure out what the problem is, I might start using SuSE
    > > again.

    > any boot error message
    >
    > drivers
    >
    > try this way
    >
    > after you boot system,press ctrl + Alt + F1 ,login as root
    >
    > # init 3
    > # sax2
    >
    > configuer & save
    >
    > # init 5
    >
    > have you get the X ?

    Unfortunately, no. I saw something strange in Xorg.0.log, however.
    (Remember, I can do anything that doesn't require X.) A lot of font
    directories do not exist (/usr/share/fonts/local, /usr/share/fonts/
    latin2/misc, and about a dozen others). These directories are
    referenced in xorg.conf.

    Apart from my puzzlement over how they got eliminated, how can I
    restore them? I have a backup of the installation made with TrueImage,
    so if I can restore individual files that way, it might work. But I
    don't know.

  5. Re: Disappearing X

    tim1948 wrote:

    > On Oct 2, 6:07 pm, muskycn wrote:
    >> On 10 3 , 8 13 , tim1948 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have used both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.2 (i386), though I am not using
    >> > either right now. In both cases I suddenly reached a point where I
    >> > could not boot into X, though the installation remained functional
    >> > with a console login. I shrank the disk space allotted to SuSE and
    >> > installed Ubuntu on the end of the drive, and SuSE is still bootable.
    >> > If I ever figure out what the problem is, I might start using SuSE
    >> > again.

    >> any boot error message
    >>
    >> drivers
    >>
    >> try this way
    >>
    >> after you boot system,press ctrl + Alt + F1 ,login as root
    >>
    >> # init 3
    >> # sax2
    >>
    >> configuer & save
    >>
    >> # init 5
    >>
    >> have you get the X ?

    > Unfortunately, no. I saw something strange in Xorg.0.log, however.
    > (Remember, I can do anything that doesn't require X.) A lot of font
    > directories do not exist (/usr/share/fonts/local, /usr/share/fonts/
    > latin2/misc, and about a dozen others). These directories are
    > referenced in xorg.conf.

    Those seem normal for many of the systems on which I installed openSuse.
    Apparently not all video cards need or use all the fonts.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery