parted error -3008 10.3 rc1 x64 - Suse

This is a discussion on parted error -3008 10.3 rc1 x64 - Suse ; Getting this error when attempting to install 10.3 rc1 x64 on sda, it has a primary ntfs partition, a primary ext3 partition, and a extended partition with reiserfs installed as a logical partition. The message says something is beyond the ...

  1. parted error -3008 10.3 rc1 x64

    Getting this error when attempting to install 10.3 rc1 x64 on sda, it
    has a primary ntfs partition, a primary ext3 partition, and a extended
    partition with reiserfs installed as a logical partition. The message
    says something is beyond the physical disk size.The disk works with no
    problems at all, xp(hda3, 46.68 gb, Yoper(hda1 23.0 gb) and home(hda5
    23.68 gb) respectively. The parted boot cd shows no problems at all. Had
    10.2 on hda1 with no problems, tried to put 10.3 on hda1(sda1)and these
    errors showed up, Installed Yoper 3.01 on it with no problem at all.
    Any advice, really don't want to blow away the xp partition, microsoft
    can really be a pita about updating and registeration even though it's a
    legal version.
    Thanks,
    Jack

  2. Re: parted error -3008 10.3 rc1 x64

    jrchilds wrote:

    > Getting this error when attempting to install 10.3 rc1 x64 on sda, it
    > has a primary ntfs partition, a primary ext3 partition, and a extended
    > partition with reiserfs installed as a logical partition. The message
    > says something is beyond the physical disk size.The disk works with no
    > problems at all, xp(hda3, 46.68 gb, Yoper(hda1 23.0 gb) and home(hda5
    > 23.68 gb) respectively. The parted boot cd shows no problems at all. Had
    > 10.2 on hda1 with no problems, tried to put 10.3 on hda1(sda1)and these
    > errors showed up, Installed Yoper 3.01 on it with no problem at all.
    > Any advice, really don't want to blow away the xp partition, microsoft
    > can really be a pita about updating and registeration even though it's a
    > legal version.

    I have the same problem with this new Lenovo AMD Athlon 64x2 and a 220GiB
    SATA drive. Best answer the the obvious WTF? question was from the author
    of DFSEE (multi-platform disk maintenance program). According to Jan, Win
    has begun to partition the drives to the nearest sector rather than setting
    the partitions to start/end on cylinder boundaries. On mine, the mapping
    defined for the drive actually indicates that the end of the drive is
    beyond the physical end of the disk using the Linux algorithm for
    partitions. Even the disk utility I use sees a number of sectors beyond
    the last partition it will allocate using cylinder boundary rules. In this
    case, it appears that Linux will round Win-created partitions up to the
    next cylinder bound and truncate the disk to the last full cylinder. The
    net result is that you may lose some sectors at the end of the disk, there
    may be some unused sectors between the Win partions and the partitions
    created by Linux but the disk will still work just fine.

    I didn't try the Linux partitoning - some OS's don't like the way Linux
    computes the partiton table and EBR links, especially OS/2, so I use DFSEE
    for disk setup work. From the tests I've run, Linux may bitch about the
    partition boundaries but 10.2 and 10.3 definitely handle the result just
    fine. No lost data or wrap-around write as far as I've been able to test.

    --
    Will Honea