Looking for lspci in/for 10.3 RC1 - Suse

This is a discussion on Looking for lspci in/for 10.3 RC1 - Suse ; pciutils is installed, and that package, according to a google search, contains lspci. It doesn't or isn't active. Are there any ways of activating it or any substitues available? It looks like 10.2 also had this missing. Not often used, ...

  1. Looking for lspci in/for 10.3 RC1

    pciutils is installed, and that package, according to a google search,
    contains lspci. It doesn't or isn't active.

    Are there any ways of activating it or any substitues available?

    It looks like 10.2 also had this missing.
    Not often used, but when you need it.......

    And it is on my laptop with Dam Small Linux, without any PCI sockets.

    Did it disappear along with the now missing install option since 10.2 where
    you could select a group of command line utilities for long time users of
    Unix/Linux? GUI is not a viable answer to a lot of needs, especially the
    bloat and slowness. And with these things, using a light weight GUI
    doesn't solve the choices someone made to delete usefull command line
    utilities that are still in other distros (or go back to 9.x - useability
    is better than constant updates to things I don't use).

    And Kinfocenter is about useless for anything. It displays the results
    but - I can't search the data, I can't print it, I can't write it out to a
    file, and I can't select a portion to copy to a file. Like I said -
    useless!

    John

  2. Re: Looking for lspci in/for 10.3 RC1

    John Bowling wrote:

    > pciutils is installed, and that package, according to a google search,
    > contains lspci. It doesn't or isn't active.
    >
    > Are there any ways of activating it or any substitues available?
    >
    > It looks like 10.2 also had this missing.
    > Not often used, but when you need it.......
    >
    > And it is on my laptop with Dam Small Linux, without any PCI sockets.
    >
    > Did it disappear along with the now missing install option since 10.2
    > where you could select a group of command line utilities for long time
    > users of
    > Unix/Linux? GUI is not a viable answer to a lot of needs, especially the
    > bloat and slowness. And with these things, using a light weight GUI
    > doesn't solve the choices someone made to delete usefull command line
    > utilities that are still in other distros (or go back to 9.x - useability
    > is better than constant updates to things I don't use).
    >
    > And Kinfocenter is about useless for anything. It displays the results
    > but - I can't search the data, I can't print it, I can't write it out to a
    > file, and I can't select a portion to copy to a file. Like I said -
    > useless!
    >
    > John

    here:> cat /etc/SuSE-release
    openSUSE 10.3 (i586)
    VERSION = 10.3

    here:> whereis lspci
    lspci: /sbin/lspci /usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.gz

    here:> rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/lspci
    pciutils-2.2.6-17

    As normal user try:
    /sbin/lspci
    but functionality is limited if you are not root.
    As root it works without /sbin/.

    You can try also:
    echo $PATH
    as normal user and root, to see the difference.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: Looking for lspci in/for 10.3 RC1

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, John Bowling wrote:-

    >pciutils is installed, and that package, according to a google search,
    >contains lspci. It doesn't or isn't active.

    You trying to use it as a normal user or root? If as a normal user,
    you'll need to use the full path:

    /sbin/lspci

    >It looks like 10.2 also had this missing.

    It does? Not on my system it doesn't:

    davjam@donnas:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release ; rpm -ql pciutils
    openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64)
    VERSION = 10.2
    /sbin/lspci
    /sbin/setpci
    /sbin/update-pciids
    /usr/share/doc/packages/pciutils
    /usr/share/doc/packages/pciutils/README
    /usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/setpci.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/update-pciids.8.gz

    >Not often used, but when you need it.......

    .... it's there if you're root, and a normal user can easily find it if
    they know how to do a search to see what's been installed, and where.

    >And it is on my laptop with Dam Small Linux, without any PCI sockets.

    Doesn't matter. My 10.3 test system is a laptop with no PCI sockets. Not
    having PCI sockets doesn't mean there isn't a PCI bus.

    >Did it disappear along with the now missing install option since 10.2 where
    >you could select a group of command line utilities for long time users of
    >Unix/Linux?

    Which ones would those be?

    > GUI is not a viable answer to a lot of needs, especially the
    >bloat and slowness.

    Now that I'll almost agree with. There are some times where using the
    GUI is almost as fast as the CLI. And using a console gives you the
    benefits of both

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

+ Reply to Thread