10.3 RC1...will it upgrade? - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade? - Suse ; OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week. Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed ...

  1. 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    I'll have to get out my backups?

  2. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    > Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    > 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    > I'll have to get out my backups?

    you can always upgrade to the next version using the download media or
    retail media for example, or also when the online repositories become
    available and are not being hammered any more by the mass of first
    downloaders (october 4th 2007 is the releasedate for 10.3, so maybe
    allow some days for the massive download attacks to decline )

    anyways, your question has been discussed also on the mailinglists:
    and
    the following postings in that thread.

    and continuing at:
    and
    so on......

    check the zypper usage documentation pages:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage

    maybe in the mean time, you might test on some non-production systems or
    virtual machines the upgrade process frm beta3 to rc1 or rc1 to rc2/factory.

    once that works and you are familiar with the commands and tools, you
    can probably safely upgrade to final/goldmaster once the mirrors are in
    place and uncongested again.

    cheers and good luck.

  3. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    > Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    > 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    > I'll have to get out my backups?

    Well, perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. Who knows. It is an
    unfinished product, so anything can happen. I also seriously failt to
    see why you would not be able to wait, unless somebody put a gun to your
    head.

    As for upgrades, the same as always applies.
    1) Take backups
    2) Try the upgrade
    3) If 2 fails, you still have the backups.

    Again, understand that now and in the future any failure with your
    version will be related to the fact that it is an unfinished product.
    Once the final is out, that means no support, no nothing'.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  4. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    >> Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    >> 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    >> I'll have to get out my backups?

    > Well, perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. Who knows. It is an
    > unfinished product, so anything can happen.

    That's soooooo this afternoon.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  5. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    >> Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    >> 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    >> I'll have to get out my backups?

    > Well, perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. Who knows. It is an
    > unfinished product, so anything can happen. I also seriously failt to
    > see why you would not be able to wait, unless somebody put a gun to your
    > head.
    >
    > As for upgrades, the same as always applies.
    > 1) Take backups
    > 2) Try the upgrade
    > 3) If 2 fails, you still have the backups.
    >
    > Again, understand that now and in the future any failure with your
    > version will be related to the fact that it is an unfinished product.
    > Once the final is out, that means no support, no nothing'.
    >
    > houghi

    Why I couldn't wait...........it's new, I gotta have it!

  6. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Why I couldn't wait...........it's new, I gotta have it!

    RC1 is not new. It is already old and fading fast.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  7. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Why I couldn't wait...........it's new, I gotta have it!

    > RC1 is not new. It is already old and fading fast.
    >
    > houghi

    Well you know what I mean..........

  8. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >>> Why I couldn't wait...........it's new, I gotta have it!

    >> RC1 is not new. It is already old and fading fast.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Well you know what I mean..........

    Just take backups.
    If you have mix of PATA and SATA drives it can be interesting with RC1.
    Now all drives are /dev/sdX and depends on you configuration it may produce
    some confusion in Installer.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  9. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> RC1 is not new. It is already old and fading fast.
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Well you know what I mean..........

    > Just take backups.
    > If you have mix of PATA and SATA drives it can be interesting with RC1.
    > Now all drives are /dev/sdX and depends on you configuration it may produce
    > some confusion in Installer.

    Well, got fresh Home dir backups, and only Sata devices. Oh one USB hard
    drive, but I'll disconnect it while installing and let RC1 figure out
    what it is afterward. I hear that possibly RC1 doesn't like the XFS
    format which I use. Any word on that?

  10. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Well, got fresh Home dir backups, and only Sata devices. Oh one USB hard
    > drive, but I'll disconnect it while installing and let RC1 figure out
    > what it is afterward. I hear that possibly RC1 doesn't like the XFS
    > format which I use. Any word on that?

    It is an unfinished product so just try it out and see what happens.
    Also look at the known bugs. I would even say, do not bother with the
    backups. I can not imagine somebody actualy running an unfinished
    product on a machine that has data that you mind loosing. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  11. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:

    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Well, got fresh Home dir backups, and only Sata devices. Oh one USB hard
    >> drive, but I'll disconnect it while installing and let RC1 figure out
    >> what it is afterward. I hear that possibly RC1 doesn't like the XFS
    >> format which I use. Any word on that?

    It is problem that installation leaves filesystem corrupt, where XFS doesn't
    handle that gracefully. Now I'm sure that you going to skip this, and wait
    for GM. It will show up in less than 30 hours.

    Just in time to save you from frustration with RC1 ;-)

    > It is an unfinished product so just try it out and see what happens.
    > Also look at the known bugs. I would even say, do not bother with the
    > backups. I can not imagine somebody actualy running an unfinished
    > product on a machine that has data that you mind loosing. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    +1

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  12. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:

    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Well, got fresh Home dir backups, and only Sata devices. Oh one USB hard
    >> drive, but I'll disconnect it while installing and let RC1 figure out
    >> what it is afterward. I hear that possibly RC1 doesn't like the XFS
    >> format which I use. Any word on that?

    It is problem that installation leaves filesystem corrupt, where XFS doesn't
    handle that gracefully. Now I'm sure that you going to skip this, and wait
    for GM. It will show up in less than 30 hours.

    Just in time to save you from frustration with RC1 ;-)

    > It is an unfinished product so just try it out and see what happens.
    > Also look at the known bugs. I would even say, do not bother with the
    > backups. I can not imagine somebody actualy running an unfinished
    > product on a machine that has data that you mind loosing. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    +1

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  13. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Now I'm sure that you going to skip this,
    > and wait for GM. It will show up in less than 30 hours.

    30 hours? I installed GM 2 days ago already.

    Derk

  14. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    houghi wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Well, got fresh Home dir backups, and only Sata devices. Oh one USB hard
    >> drive, but I'll disconnect it while installing and let RC1 figure out
    >> what it is afterward. I hear that possibly RC1 doesn't like the XFS
    >> format which I use. Any word on that?

    > It is an unfinished product so just try it out and see what happens.
    > Also look at the known bugs. I would even say, do not bother with the
    > backups. I can not imagine somebody actualy running an unfinished
    > product on a machine that has data that you mind loosing. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Good point, just call me reckless. ;-)

  15. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Good point, just call me reckless. ;-)

    Ok, but don't call me Shirly.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  16. Re: 10.3 RC1...will it upgrade?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > OK, I DL'ed the DVD for RC1, I figured I can't wait until next week.
    > Does anyone know if the 10.3 install routine will offer to upgrade my
    > 10.2, or should I figure that my present install will be trashed and
    > I'll have to get out my backups?

    I did upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3 without problems.My system files were
    located om a seperat disk

+ Reply to Thread