Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp - Suse

This is a discussion on Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp - Suse ; For the benefit of those who did not read my previous post but may be caught by this trap for the unwary, I'll retell what happened to me. I'm running SuSE 10.1 32-bit and updated to kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp because Smart ...

  1. Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    For the benefit of those who did not read my previous post but may be
    caught by this trap for the unwary, I'll retell what happened to me.

    I'm running SuSE 10.1 32-bit and updated to kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    because Smart offered it among a set of other updates. I don't know how
    to update selectively without having to do it manually (which is not
    easy when the number of updates is large).

    As usual, once the kernel had been updated, I tried to recompile the
    Nvidia driver but it bombed without giving a reason. I then tried to
    reconfigure WMware WorkStation for the new kernel but the configuration
    program warned that the kernel had been compiled with gcc 4.1.2 while
    gcc 4.1.0 was on my system: this could cause VMware to crash. I told
    VMware to continue and it has worked ok so far. However, I had to use
    SAX2 to revert to the 'nv' driver provided with SuSE10.1, which works
    but is not that good.

    Googling gave me the information that the problem had been reported (Sep
    28) on Bugzilla as Bug 329203 - kernel was built with "gcc" version
    "4.1.2" / yast provides "gcc" only version "4.1.0". This had elicited
    one response:
    ---- Comment #1 From Miquel A. Noguera 2007-09-28 02:13:03 MST -------
    You can workaround this problem installing kernel-source for your kernel
    version and compiling it with your available 4.1.0 gcc.

    I've never compiled a kernel before and don't think that I have the
    necessary level of skill to do so successfully. I shall not be able to
    compile my Nvidia driver unless the openSUSE folks provide gcc 4.1.2 or
    I move to another version of Linux. I had intended to install 10.3 early
    next year but am a little unsettled by the glitches that now seem part
    of (open?)SUSE, whereas SuSE used to be free of such things. I came to
    Linux to avoid such things, which are quite normal in the Windows world.
    Would I be any better off if I purchased SLED, for example?

  2. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    Hi Jethro

    Compiling a kernel is not a big problem to learn. Basically you install
    the source package and have a look at the README's that end up in the
    /usr/src/linux directory. Then configure the kernel options;

    make menuconfig

    then build it;

    make install modules modules_install

    and then build the initial ramdisk and install it as a grub option;

    mkinitrd

    When you next boot you will get a "new" vs "old" kernel choice.

    The biggest hurdle is to kernel configuration itself. You want to copy
    the snp kernel setup (.config) you currently have.

    I doubt if SLED would be any better but I'll admit I have never checked.
    Many older Unix's even had hardware compatibility lists to contend with.
    (ie there was NO driver code available)

    Keep in mind that as drivers for hardware evolve they sometimes need
    fixes to fit newer kernel sources and libraries. Often the driver code
    gets left behind as nobody is maintaining it. This is especially bad for
    hardware that is deemed obsolete for example.

    It wont hurt to experiment!

    Good luck!

    Bob

    Jethro wrote:

    > I've never compiled a kernel before and don't think that I have the
    > necessary level of skill to do so successfully.

  3. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    Jethro wrote:
    > For the benefit of those who did not read my previous post but may be
    > caught by this trap for the unwary, I'll retell what happened to me.
    >
    > I'm running SuSE 10.1 32-bit and updated to kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    > because Smart offered it among a set of other updates. I don't know how
    > to update selectively without having to do it manually (which is not
    > easy when the number of updates is large).
    >
    > As usual, once the kernel had been updated, I tried to recompile the
    > Nvidia driver but it bombed without giving a reason. I then tried to
    > reconfigure WMware WorkStation for the new kernel but the configuration
    > program warned that the kernel had been compiled with gcc 4.1.2 while
    > gcc 4.1.0 was on my system: this could cause VMware to crash. I told
    > VMware to continue and it has worked ok so far. However, I had to use
    > SAX2 to revert to the 'nv' driver provided with SuSE10.1, which works
    > but is not that good.
    >
    > Googling gave me the information that the problem had been reported (Sep
    > 28) on Bugzilla as Bug 329203 - kernel was built with "gcc" version
    > "4.1.2" / yast provides "gcc" only version "4.1.0". This had elicited
    > one response:
    > ---- Comment #1 From Miquel A. Noguera 2007-09-28 02:13:03 MST -------
    > You can workaround this problem installing kernel-source for your kernel
    > version and compiling it with your available 4.1.0 gcc.
    >
    > I've never compiled a kernel before and don't think that I have the
    > necessary level of skill to do so successfully. I shall not be able to
    > compile my Nvidia driver unless the openSUSE folks provide gcc 4.1.2 or
    > I move to another version of Linux. I had intended to install 10.3 early
    > next year but am a little unsettled by the glitches that now seem part
    > of (open?)SUSE, whereas SuSE used to be free of such things. I came to
    > Linux to avoid such things, which are quite normal in the Windows world.
    > Would I be any better off if I purchased SLED, for example?

    If you had installed the Nvidia module with yast you would not have to
    recompile the kernel with a kernel update.

  4. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    compiling kernel made easy

    zcat /proc/config.gz > .config this is to copy config file to new kernel dir

    make menuconfig is so you can make changes to the kernel if you want
    at this stage you can mess the kernel up

    make bzImage
    make modules
    make install_modules
    make install

    can be written like this

    make bzImage && make modules && make install_modules && make install

    once done you will have your old and new boot loaders in the start menu

    if you compile the nvidia driver you should uninstall it before you start
    the above

  5. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    I'm sure I'm being very dense about this but compiling the kernel still
    seems well beyond my capacity. I don't know enough to attempt it.

    All this could be solved, of course, if the developers released gcc
    4.1.2 for SuSE 10.1. I don't think they are very professional in their
    attitude if they think that there's nothing wrong with issuing a kernel
    that was compiled with a version of gcc that they have not given the
    end-user. The mess that was package management in 10.1 should have
    taught them a lesson - I still can't update with YaST (that's why I use
    Smart).

    Then, in 10.2, they changed the way they handled USB, which 'broke'
    VMware Workstation - hardly a trivial application (or, perhaps, it was
    intended to give Xen a leg up). Now, this mess with the new kernel in 10.1.

    I can't help wondering whether the developers are not becoming a touch
    arrogant and rather careless of their customers' needs. If so, that's a
    real shame. I had come to rely on SuSE and will be sorry if I have to
    say 'goodbye'.

  6. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    Jethro wrote:
    [...]
    > All this could be solved, of course, if the developers released gcc
    > 4.1.2 for SuSE 10.1.

    [...]

    There are ways to find if an openSUSE repository has a particular package.

    (1) Launch Firefox and go to Mr Benjamin Weber's "webpin":
    http://benjiweber.co.uk:8080/webpin/
    Enter "gcc" in the search box, click on "SUSE Linux 10.1",
    and away you go.

    (2) There's also the 'Get It' page on opensuse.org (I'm not familiar
    with this):
    http://software.opensuse.org/search

    (3) There is a command-line version (by Pascal Bleser?):
    $ webpin gcc

    Download a package you are looking for and install it:
    # rpm -Uvvv xxx.xxx.xxx.rpm

    The repository where you find a particular version or even package may
    not be an official one, but it is handy in a situation like yours.
    Sometimes a package sits in one of the unofficial repos before deposited
    in an official one, it seems.

  7. Re: Update Problem - Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp

    Taki wrote:
    > [...]

    Thank you. That was most helpful. Apparently, gcc 4.1.2 has been
    released for openSUSE 10.2 but not for 10.1. I'm not sure whether the
    10.2 version would be ok on 10.1.

+ Reply to Thread