openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub! - Suse

This is a discussion on openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub! - Suse ; Hello group, I just have installed openSuSE 10.2 on a box. Everythig went fine. I let the installer install all availiable updates. It restarted several times during the setup, since the installer had some kernel patches installed. KDE started properly, ...

  1. openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Hello group,
    I just have installed openSuSE 10.2 on a box. Everythig went fine. I let the
    installer install all availiable updates. It restarted several times during
    the setup, since the installer had some kernel patches installed. KDE
    started properly, everything fine!

    Then I shut down, closed the box with some screws and pushed it 30cm back to
    it's final place.
    Then I fired it up, and..... right after the boot menu of grub the screen
    stays black.. Only the cursor blinks in the top left corner.

    I checked the hardware if some connector loosened during the small move.
    Everything ok.

    The funny thing is, that I now have the same effect, when booting with the
    installation DVD, right afert hitting "install". Previous that was never a
    problem!

    I started some hardware tests, e.g. booting without HDD, without DVD,
    changing RAM, etc. Nothing. Always the blank screen & blinking cursor
    effekt.

    Then I booted the machine with Ubuntu 6.02 and it started properly.

    Now what is that?
    Can anybody give me an advice on what to do?

    Greetings
    Tom

  2. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Tom wrote:

    > Now what is that?
    > Can anybody give me an advice on what to do?

    you can start up with the installation cd/dvd of openSUSE 10.2
    choose --> install - repair - boot installed system
    your installed openSUSE will boot.
    then can you go into yast - system - bootloader
    check there if the bootloader is correct installed.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    > you can start up with the installation cd/dvd of openSUSE 10.2
    > choose --> install - repair - boot installed system
    > your installed openSUSE will boot.
    > then can you go into yast - system - bootloader
    > check there if the bootloader is correct installed.

    errrr... this thing starts to become quite weird!

    All at a sudden I could not start the DVD anymore correctly. When I tried to
    select something in the menu, nothing happened. After some keystrokes the
    computer makes some noise with each further keystroke...

    So what I did:

    I took another PC with a similar mainboard (ASUS P2B-F). I also took a
    different keyboard. I took a differnt VGA-card, different RAM, different
    CPU, different power supply, etc. EVERYTHING is different now, only the
    monitor remains the same ;-)

    Result: When I connect the harddisk, after Grub I have the same blank
    screen.
    When I disconnect the harddisk and boot from the DVD (with a different
    DVD-player!) I have again that effect with the frozen menu and the keystroke
    sounds.

    Voilą! I thought "ok, here we are. We have 2 different errors: The harddisk
    won't boot because of some reason I don't know (e.g. kernel problem) AND the
    DVD seems to be broken".

    So I made a cross check and booted a third PC with the DVD. And: The menu
    works just fine! AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

    I have NO idea what could be the reason for this?! Welcome to the world of
    computers..

    Has anyone got an idea on what could i check/ what could be the reason for
    that??

  4. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Tom wrote:

    >> you can start up with the installation cd/dvd of openSUSE 10.2
    >> choose --> install - repair - boot installed system
    >> your installed openSUSE will boot.
    >> then can you go into yast - system - bootloader
    >> check there if the bootloader is correct installed.

    > errrr... this thing starts to become quite weird!
    >
    > All at a sudden I could not start the DVD anymore correctly. When I tried
    > to select something in the menu, nothing happened. After some keystrokes
    > the computer makes some noise with each further keystroke...
    >
    > So what I did:
    >
    > I took another PC with a similar mainboard (ASUS P2B-F). I also took a
    > different keyboard. I took a differnt VGA-card, different RAM, different
    > CPU, different power supply, etc. EVERYTHING is different now, only the
    > monitor remains the same ;-)
    >
    > Result: When I connect the harddisk, after Grub I have the same blank
    > screen.
    > When I disconnect the harddisk and boot from the DVD (with a different
    > DVD-player!) I have again that effect with the frozen menu and the
    > keystroke sounds.
    >
    > VoilĆ*! I thought "ok, here we are. We have 2 different errors: The
    > harddisk won't boot because of some reason I don't know (e.g. kernel
    > problem) AND the DVD seems to be broken".
    >
    > So I made a cross check and booted a third PC with the DVD. And: The menu
    > works just fine! AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
    >
    > I have NO idea what could be the reason for this?! Welcome to the world of
    > computers..
    >
    > Has anyone got an idea on what could i check/ what could be the reason for
    > that??

    Tom were you grounded when working in the pc's? If not static electricity
    can wipe things out easily. I'd also make sure all internal connectors are
    tight. Sometimes reseating a board will help, but make sure you are
    grounded by using a wrist strap. It only takes a couple of tenths of a volt
    to blow boards.

    I'm using SUSE 10.2 on an ASUS P4 board with no problems. just installed it
    a couple of weeks ago.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  5. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    On Sep 29, 6:29 am, "Tom" wrote:
    > Hello group,
    > I just have installed openSuSE 10.2 on a box. Everythig went fine. I let the
    > installer install all availiable updates. It restarted several times during
    > the setup, since the installer had some kernel patches installed. KDE
    > started properly, everything fine!
    >
    > Then I shut down, closed the box with some screws and pushed it 30cm back to
    > it's final place.
    > Then I fired it up, and..... right after the boot menu of grub the screen
    > stays black.. Only the cursor blinks in the top left corner.
    >
    > I checked the hardware if some connector loosened during the small move.
    > Everything ok.
    >
    > The funny thing is, that I now have the same effect, when booting with the
    > installation DVD, right afert hitting "install". Previous that was never a
    > problem!
    >
    > I started some hardware tests, e.g. booting without HDD, without DVD,
    > changing RAM, etc. Nothing. Always the blank screen & blinking cursor
    > effekt.
    >
    > Then I booted the machine with Ubuntu 6.02 and it started properly.
    >
    > Now what is that?
    > Can anybody give me an advice on what to do?
    >
    > Greetings
    > Tom

    fwiw, i had a lot of trouble w/no video after install (3 times) w/9-
    something when i changed the video res during install. Left it at
    whatever it detected and it was happy.

  6. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    I can't say for sure what the problem is, but I have had the same issue
    using openSUSE 10.2.--several times. I went so far as to reinstall the
    system when attempts to repair grub still led to the same blinking cursor.
    I don't do this anymore, because:

    I think it's *possible* that it has to do with the motherboard. I'm not
    certain, but I discovered that when I get this error, if I "restore
    defaults" in the BIOS, suddenly I can see grub, and boot!

    I also wonder whether it has to do with booting while there is a USB storage
    stick inserted. (It could also be a digital camera, in USB Storage mode.)
    This seems to cause a problem, even though my BIOS is not set to look for a
    USB stick as a boot device. Sometimes removing a USB storage device fixes
    the issue, and sometimes I have to restore BIOS defaults. Then I can boot.

    Can you make sure no USB storage devices are plugged in at boot time? And
    see what happens if you reset the BIOS defaults?

  7. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    thank you russbucket and kmh for your help & advice.

    No, I was not grounded (but I often touch metals in the cage), and yes, I
    had set bios defaults.
    But it can't really be the hardware, since I switched hardware 100%.

    I actually did't find any solution, so I reinstalled completely, but with
    Ubuntu, since the openSuSE DVD won't even work in the installation menu.

    Now everything works fine.

    Thanx a lot for your time!

    tomakos

  8. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Tom wrote:
    > thank you russbucket and kmh for your help & advice.
    >
    > No, I was not grounded (but I often touch metals in the cage), and yes,
    > I had set bios defaults.
    > But it can't really be the hardware, since I switched hardware 100%.
    >
    > I actually did't find any solution, so I reinstalled completely, but
    > with Ubuntu, since the openSuSE DVD won't even work in the installation
    > menu.
    >
    > Now everything works fine.

    Good. Given the total lack of detailed information, nobody could
    actually help you with openSUSE since you didn't really want
    help. My guess (and it's a guess since you didn't give us anything
    to work from) is that Ubuntu did a better job of choosing
    a lowest common denominator platform whereas openSUSE was
    attempting to give you a better experience and the driver
    wasn't quite up to snuff, or the hardware was a bit out
    of spec. But hey.. you're happy and that's
    what counts.

    > Thanx a lot for your time!

    Whatever. You never really gave anyone here a chance to
    help you, AND it wasn't that important to you. Time = 0.

    If you do want to try openSUSE again, feel free to come back
    and at least provide an opportunity for folks to help you out...
    or ... if Ubuntu is working fine, then feel free to stick
    with that. One of the nice things about Linux.

  9. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Hi Chris,

    > Good. Given the total lack of detailed information, nobody could
    > actually help you with openSUSE since you didn't really want
    > help.

    Actually I feel that I have given quite a lot of info. And nobody asked for
    further details.

    > My guess (and it's a guess since you didn't give us anything
    > to work from) is that Ubuntu did a better job of choosing
    > a lowest common denominator platform whereas openSUSE was
    > attempting to give you a better experience and the driver
    > wasn't quite up to snuff, or the hardware was a bit out
    > of spec.

    Well, as I said: On exactly this hardware openSuSE was running after the
    installation for a few restarts. And it is running on 2 other PCs of mine
    that have a quite similar hardware, too.

    > Whatever. You never really gave anyone here a chance to
    > help you, AND it wasn't that important to you. Time = 0.

    Well again I feel differently. 3 days of time are quite enough, by my
    opinion.

    > If you do want to try openSUSE again, feel free to come back
    > and at least provide an opportunity for folks to help you out...
    > or ... if Ubuntu is working fine, then feel free to stick
    > with that. One of the nice things about Linux.

    Don't worry, I have a quite mixed linux environment installed on my boxes
    over here: 1x Endian Firewall, 2x openSuSE and now 1x Kubuntu.
    So as you see there will be for sure some occasions in future to return to
    this group ;-)

    Cu
    tom

  10. Re: openS. 10.2: New installation: Blank Screen after Grub!

    Tom wrote:
    > Hi Chris,
    >
    >> Good. Given the total lack of detailed information, nobody could
    >> actually help you with openSUSE since you didn't really want
    >> help.

    > Actually I feel that I have given quite a lot of info. And nobody asked
    > for further details.

    Sorry.. certainly our fault. So... what graphics cards? Can you get
    to a virtual console (vc)? Can you boot ok into runlevel 3? Do boot
    messages show if you escape out of the splash screen mode?

    I know it's too late to answer, but come on! 3 days (and I think it
    was actually less than that) to try to help someone out. I mean you
    bailed pretty quickly. Did you try to seek out assistance from your
    local LUG?

+ Reply to Thread