Struggling with 10.0 and Intel 3645abg - Suse

This is a discussion on Struggling with 10.0 and Intel 3645abg - Suse ; Last night I decided to update my SuSE 10.0 installation on my HP dv8000t (Centrino Duo) using yum (which I find faster/more reliable that YaST) (I know, I should have waited for 10.3 in a couple of weeks) on my ...

  1. Struggling with 10.0 and Intel 3645abg

    Last night I decided to update my SuSE 10.0 installation on my HP
    dv8000t (Centrino Duo) using yum (which I find faster/more reliable
    that YaST) (I know, I should have waited for 10.3 in a couple of
    weeks) on my laptop that has been running fairly well for the past
    year on 10.0.

    I got a new kernel, alsa and a few other things. My sound card SPDIF
    output works now (nice), although the volume settings etc were lost
    during the upgrade. Not a big deal to reset with the ALAS GUI which
    finally actually works.

    BUT I seem to have lost my Intel 3945abg as a result of this upgrade.
    Not starting up at all. I figured well maybe I need to refresh the
    configuration - went into YaST and deleted the old config. Figuring I
    would just recreate the config. Losing wireless is a MAJOR functional
    loss on this machine for me.

    Uh-Oh. When I deleted the old config the card disappeared from the
    list permanently. SuSE is not finding the card at ALL. Nothing in the
    YaST list except for the Intel ethernet card. That still works fine.
    Boot under Windows. Everything is fine, so I don't have a hardware
    problem.

    I start looking at the packages. ipw3945d is there. The firmware is
    there. I try running the daemon but it fails to find the driver from
    sys.../drivers/ipw3945.

    As far as I can tell I have the packages I have supposed to have.
    Wireless has been working fine for me up until yesterday. I start
    Googling and find all sorts of people who are having issues with the
    3945abg under 10.1 and 10.2. Given that I am very concerned that the
    wireless in my laptop is going to be a pain under SuSE going forward
    and that I should try another distribution.

    Can anyone suggest a reasonable course of action/troubleshooting here?
    I am not looking forward to a new distro but I absolutely feel
    betrayed by SuSE at this point in time.

  2. Re: Struggling with 10.0 and Intel 3645abg

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:07:24 -0700, warthog0 wrote:

    > BUT I seem to have lost my Intel 3945abg as a result of this upgrade.

    If you have new kernel, check that the corresponding modules got upgraded
    as well.

    If you can boot from the previous working kernel and the wireless works
    again, then it's probably a case of missing modules.

  3. Re: Struggling with 10.0 and Intel 3645abg

    On Sep 29, 4:13 am, Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:07:24 -0700, warthog0 wrote:
    > > BUT I seem to have lost my Intel 3945abg as a result of this upgrade.

    > If you have new kernel, check that the corresponding modules got upgraded
    > as well.
    >
    > If you can boot from the previous working kernel and the wireless works
    > again, then it's probably a case of missing modules.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but my wireless card is not detected with
    the old kernel now either.

    Now downloading Ubuntu.

+ Reply to Thread