Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario - Suse

This is a discussion on Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario - Suse ; Problem synopsis: I can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in a Compaq Presario desktop. After "Installation" selected, it does nothing but goes back to boot up again. Problem description: The OpenSuse 10.2 (disk-1) boots up from the CD ROM, the installation selection ...

  1. Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    Problem synopsis:
    I can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in a Compaq Presario desktop. After
    "Installation" selected, it does nothing but goes back to boot up
    again.

    Problem description:
    The OpenSuse 10.2 (disk-1) boots up from the CD ROM, the installation
    selection menu also appeared and after selecting the "Installation",
    the screen gets dark and it goes back to bootup again and the
    installation menu reappears.

    System information:
    PC Type: Compaq Presario x86 desktop PC
    CPU: Celeron CPU 2.66 GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Original OS installed: Windows XP
    HDD: 80 GB

    Configuration information:
    1) The original HDD had two partitions, C and D
    2) Partition C was 75 GB in size in NTFS format and XP was installed
    3) Partition D is 5 GB in size in FAT format and Compaq's recovery
    disk is installed
    4) I did C re-partitioned by "Magic Partition", 35 GB for XP in NTFS
    and 35 GB for SuSE 10.2 in EXT3 format

    Observation:
    1) After removing the disk-1 from the CD-ROM, the XP starts without
    any problem
    2) Is there any problem for the display ? I am using a monitor with
    resolution set at 1024 x 768

  2. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

    > Problem synopsis:
    > I can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in a Compaq Presario desktop. After
    > "Installation" selected, it does nothing but goes back to boot up
    > again.
    >
    > Problem description:
    > The OpenSuse 10.2 (disk-1) boots up from the CD ROM, the installation
    > selection menu also appeared and after selecting the "Installation",
    > the screen gets dark and it goes back to bootup again and the
    > installation menu reappears.
    >
    > System information:
    > PC Type: Compaq Presario x86 desktop PC
    > CPU: Celeron CPU 2.66 GHz
    > RAM: 512 MB
    > Original OS installed: Windows XP
    > HDD: 80 GB
    >
    > Configuration information:
    > 1) The original HDD had two partitions, C and D
    > 2) Partition C was 75 GB in size in NTFS format and XP was installed
    > 3) Partition D is 5 GB in size in FAT format and Compaq's recovery
    > disk is installed
    > *******4) I did C re-partitioned by "Magic Partition", ***** 35 GB for XP

    in NTFS
    > and 35 GB for SuSE 10.2 in EXT3 format

    Partition Magic is your problem. It doesn't play nice with Linux. Toss it.
    OpenSuse already has a far superior partitioning tool built in.

    The first thing you must do before installing OpenSuse is to launch ScanDisk
    and then Defrag your hard drive. Then let Suse do all the partitioning
    work. Although now I think you are screwed.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  3. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    > Partition Magic is your problem. It doesn't play nice with Linux. Toss it.
    > OpenSuse already has a far superior partitioning tool built in.
    >
    > The first thing you must do before installing OpenSuse is to launch ScanDisk
    > and then Defrag your hard drive. Then let Suse do all the partitioning
    > work. Although now I think you are screwed.

    After a suggestion from to Darrell, I did the the followings, but no
    luck yet:
    1) Merged the previously created partitions (by using magic partition)
    2) Ran scan disk for whole system (by Norton Security utility)
    3) Did defrag (by XP's system tools)
    4) Disabled all firewall, anti virus application
    5) Booted up using disk-1, selected "Installation" from the OpenSuse
    install menu to start installation

    Opservations:
    1) After it loaded the Kernel, the dark screen appears with a blinking
    cursor at the upper left corner for moments
    2) Few seconds later, it boots up again and installation menu
    reappears

    Please help........

  4. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Partition Magic is your problem. It doesn't play nice with Linux. Toss
    >> it. OpenSuse already has a far superior partitioning tool built in.
    >>
    >> The first thing you must do before installing OpenSuse is to launch
    >> ScanDisk
    >> and then Defrag your hard drive. Then let Suse do all the partitioning
    >> work. Although now I think you are screwed.
    >>

    > After a suggestion from to Darrell, I did the the followings, but no
    > luck yet:
    > 1) Merged the previously created partitions (by using magic partition)
    > 2) Ran scan disk for whole system (by Norton Security utility)
    > 3) Did defrag (by XP's system tools)
    > 4) Disabled all firewall, anti virus application
    > 5) Booted up using disk-1, selected "Installation" from the OpenSuse
    > install menu to start installation
    >
    > Opservations:
    > 1) After it loaded the Kernel, the dark screen appears with a blinking
    > cursor at the upper left corner for moments
    > 2) Few seconds later, it boots up again and installation menu
    > reappears
    >
    > Please help........

    You still used Partition Magic. You can't do that in any way, shape or form
    and expect to get good results with any Linux.

    What you need to do is back up both your C: Drive and D: Drive. Then create
    a restoration disk with a restore program and particularly Windows fdisk.
    Now get a program like Nuke-em and totally wipe out your hard drive
    including the boot sectors. Use fdisk to recreate C drive and C drive.
    Restore both drives.

    Do another ScanDisk and Defrag. Now throw away your Partition Magic Disk.
    Insert the OpenSuse DVD and install. Use the defaults. Perhaps you are
    having trouble with some hardware like the video card though most of the
    Compaq Presarios I have worked with use the NVidia cards. There is a
    special driver in OpenSuse for NVidia.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    > You still used Partition Magic. You can't do that in any way, shape or form
    > and expect to get good results with any Linux.

    Sadly, it was proved (with another similar system) that "Partition
    Magic" is not the root cause of installation problem !

    To continue with my investigation, I just completed a successful
    installation to one of my friend's PC (who wanted to install OpenSuse
    10.2) with the following system configuration, which is very similar
    to my Compaq Presario except for the video card, which is an ATI card
    (in my case, it is built in Intel card, detail is below):

    Original system description of friend's PC:
    PC Type: x86 desktop PC (ASUS mother board)
    CPU: Celeron CPU 2.66 GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Original OS installed: Windows XP
    HDD: 80 GB (Single partition, C drive with NTFS format)

    What I did before installation:
    1) Ran scandisk on the whole system by using Norton security utility
    2) Ran defrag on the whole drive from XP's system tool
    3) Using "Magic Partition", made the HDD partitioned (40 GB NTFS for
    XP and 40 GB EXT3 for OpenSuse 10.2)
    4) Started installation (booted using disk-1) and completed
    successfully

    My friend's PC is now capable of running two OSes. He is very very
    happy...

    ....but I am not, because, a flat comment about blaming the "Partition
    Magic" was proved "not always true". I am now very much convinced
    about it.

    My suspect is now around the video card on Compaq Presario, which is
    built in Intel card with following specs:
    Name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    PNP Device ID: PCI
    \VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_57781462&REV_03\3&13C0B0C5&0&10
    Adapter Type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller, Intel Corporation
    compatible
    Adapter Description: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Adapter RAM: 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
    Installed Drivers: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.3889

    Does OpenSuse 10.2 has any known problem with Intel built in video
    card ? What is the work around ?

  6. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    On Sep 29, 5:13 am, akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Problem synopsis:
    > I can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in a Compaq Presario desktop. After
    > "Installation" selected, it does nothing but goes back to boot up
    > again.
    >
    > Problem description:
    > The OpenSuse 10.2 (disk-1) boots up from the CD ROM, the installation
    > selection menu also appeared and after selecting the "Installation",
    > the screen gets dark and it goes back to bootup again and the
    > installation menu reappears.
    >
    > System information:
    > PC Type: Compaq Presario x86 desktop PC
    > CPU: Celeron CPU 2.66 GHz
    > RAM: 512 MB
    > Original OS installed: Windows XP
    > HDD: 80 GB
    >
    > Configuration information:
    > 1) The original HDD had two partitions, C and D
    > 2) Partition C was 75 GB in size in NTFS format and XP was installed
    > 3) Partition D is 5 GB in size in FAT format and Compaq's recovery
    > disk is installed
    > 4) I did C re-partitioned by "Magic Partition", 35 GB for XP in NTFS
    > and 35 GB for SuSE 10.2 in EXT3 format
    >
    > Observation:
    > 1) After removing the disk-1 from the CD-ROM, the XP starts without
    > any problem
    > 2) Is there any problem for the display ? I am using a monitor with
    > resolution set at 1024 x 768

    Compaq Presario is a very generic term. It applies to desktops,
    laptops, intel processors, amd processors . . .
    My hardware is totally different but I have to run 10.1 because I see
    the same things as you.
    My suggestion is that you wait for 10.3, it should be out in a few
    days.
    It would be interesting to see if 10.1 works for you but that is
    probably more trouble to set up than it is worth.

  7. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    > My suggestion is that you wait for 10.3, it should be out in a few
    > days.
    > It would be interesting to see if 10.1 works for you but that is
    > probably more trouble to set up than it is worth.

    Thanks for this suggestion. I know 10.3 will be released on October 4.
    I'll give a try with that new version. Hopefully, I could install 10.3
    on my Compaq desktop.

  8. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    > Thanks for this suggestion. I know 10.3 will be released on October 4.
    > I'll give a try with that new version. Hopefully, I could install 10.3
    > on myCompaqdesktop.

    CONGRATULATIONS !
    My waiting is over. I just successfully installed 10.3 on the same
    Compaq Presario desktop where I had problem installing previous
    versions, especially, 10.2.

    I am very very happy. I now have option of using either OpenSuse or
    Windows XP at the boot. I wish the later will have hard time due to
    10.3.

    Keep all the good works going and make the "Windows" be an artifact of
    the museum very soon..........

  9. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Keep all the good works going and make the "Windows" be an artifact of
    > the museum very soon..........

    Understand that Linux is not there to beat Windows. As Linus says, it
    might be a nice thing if it happend, but it is not the reason for its
    existence.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  10. Re: Can't install OpenSuse 10.2 in Compaq Presario

    > Understand that Linux is not there to beat Windows. As Linus says, it
    > might be a nice thing if it happend, but it is not the reason for its
    > existence.
    >
    > houghi
    > --

    Thanks Hougi for your positive comment and liked your reference quote
    from Linus.
    Regretfully, I now understand how I took destructive attitude to
    support Linux.
    Your message would help me to become more receptive and believe in
    "plurality".

    /at.

+ Reply to Thread