Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K - Suse

This is a discussion on Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K - Suse ; I had run Win 2K and rebooted into RC1 and it popped up a warning saying that your disk is failing with 633 errors in smart. This is a 2 disk system, openSUSE 10.3 RC1 on a 250G under a ...

  1. Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K

    I had run Win 2K and rebooted into RC1 and it popped up a warning saying
    that your disk is failing with 633 errors in smart.

    This is a 2 disk system, openSUSE 10.3 RC1 on a 250G under a year old and
    Win 2K on a 20G drive that is old, so I am assuming that is the failing
    disk.

    Does anyone know where there is a log file or message file that might tell
    me more? The feature of checking smart appears to be something new with
    10.3, but it doesn't give enough details to let you correct the problem.

    Which disk is actually failing?

    I am backing up the win data, and I'm going to check with the UBCD to see if
    any of the disk utilities can tell me what is wrong with the smart flags.

    Thanks, John

  2. Re: Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K

    John Bowling wrote:

    > I had run Win 2K and rebooted into RC1 and it popped up a warning saying
    > that your disk is failing with 633 errors in smart.
    >
    > This is a 2 disk system, openSUSE 10.3 RC1 on a 250G under a year old and
    > Win 2K on a 20G drive that is old, so I am assuming that is the failing
    > disk.
    >
    > Does anyone know where there is a log file or message file that might tell
    > me more? The feature of checking smart appears to be something new with
    > 10.3, but it doesn't give enough details to let you correct the problem.
    >
    > Which disk is actually failing?
    >
    > I am backing up the win data, and I'm going to check with the UBCD to see
    > if any of the disk utilities can tell me what is wrong with the smart
    > flags.
    >
    > Thanks, John

    I just ran the quick test diagnostics for both drives and they passed. When
    I rebooted the error did not show up.

    Could be a drive starting to go bad.
    John

  3. Re: Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K

    John Bowling wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >
    >> I had run Win 2K and rebooted into RC1 and it popped up a warning saying
    >> that your disk is failing with 633 errors in smart.
    >>
    >> This is a 2 disk system, openSUSE 10.3 RC1 on a 250G under a year old and
    >> Win 2K on a 20G drive that is old, so I am assuming that is the failing
    >> disk.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where there is a log file or message file that might
    >> tell
    >> me more? The feature of checking smart appears to be something new with
    >> 10.3, but it doesn't give enough details to let you correct the problem.
    >>
    >> Which disk is actually failing?
    >>
    >> I am backing up the win data, and I'm going to check with the UBCD to see
    >> if any of the disk utilities can tell me what is wrong with the smart
    >> flags.
    >>
    >> Thanks, John

    > I just ran the quick test diagnostics for both drives and they passed.
    > When I rebooted the error did not show up.
    >
    > Could be a drive starting to go bad.
    > John

    Further update:
    in /var/log/warn, which has several lines like the following:

    Sep 24 01:18:48 linux-jlbw smartd[9033]: Device: /dev/sdb, 652 Currently
    unreadable (pending) sectors

    That is the 250G newer drive

    John

  4. Re: Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K

    John Bowling wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >
    >> John Bowling wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had run Win 2K and rebooted into RC1 and it popped up a warning saying
    >>> that your disk is failing with 633 errors in smart.
    >>>
    >>> This is a 2 disk system, openSUSE 10.3 RC1 on a 250G under a year old
    >>> and Win 2K on a 20G drive that is old, so I am assuming that is the
    >>> failing disk.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know where there is a log file or message file that might
    >>> tell
    >>> me more? The feature of checking smart appears to be something new with
    >>> 10.3, but it doesn't give enough details to let you correct the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Which disk is actually failing?
    >>>
    >>> I am backing up the win data, and I'm going to check with the UBCD to
    >>> see if any of the disk utilities can tell me what is wrong with the
    >>> smart flags.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, John

    >> I just ran the quick test diagnostics for both drives and they passed.
    >> When I rebooted the error did not show up.
    >>
    >> Could be a drive starting to go bad.
    >> John

    > Further update:
    > in /var/log/warn, which has several lines like the following:
    >
    > Sep 24 01:18:48 linux-jlbw smartd[9033]: Device: /dev/sdb, 652 Currently
    > unreadable (pending) sectors
    >
    > That is the 250G newer drive
    >
    > John

    Could the summer high demand for electricity be lowering your house power to
    where it causes fluctuations in your computer? I find that at high power
    demand times, all sorts of quirky things happen in the computer. Also with
    a 20GB hard drive in your system I believe it is an older computer.
    Perhaps your newer, beefier hard drive is barely within the trigger levels
    of your system.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Disk smart problem. Dual boot with 10.3 RC1 and Win 2K

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Which disk is actually failing?

    the same here
    also second disk that "fails"
    I think that's a bug, my disks are also tested & good.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

+ Reply to Thread