Bloated installation - Suse

This is a discussion on Bloated installation - Suse ; Hello, I've installing as I write this, OpenSUSE 10.2 on my x86 home desktop computer. The thing is that I choose KDE as my default DE, but from what I've seen here, OpenSUSE is installing both GNOME and KDE libraries ...

  1. Bloated installation

    Hello,

    I've installing as I write this, OpenSUSE 10.2 on my x86 home desktop
    computer. The thing is that I choose KDE as my default DE, but from
    what I've seen here, OpenSUSE is installing both GNOME and KDE
    libraries and packages. Isn't that bloated?

    I'm expecting to see the final result but, why it asked me to choose
    between them and other Window Managers if it was about to install
    both?

    I'm doing network installation. O chose network installation in order
    to be more procise and less bloated but apparently I failed.

    Regards,

    P. A.

  2. Re: Bloated installation

    Panagiotis Atmatzidis wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've installing as I write this, OpenSUSE 10.2 on my x86 home desktop
    > computer. The thing is that I choose KDE as my default DE, but from
    > what I've seen here, OpenSUSE is installing both GNOME and KDE
    > libraries and packages. Isn't that bloated?

    No, it is not. Your choice of appliactions contains both KDE and Gnome apps,
    so consequently both base libraries have to be installed.

    > I'm expecting to see the final result but, why it asked me to choose
    > between them and other Window Managers if it was about to install
    > both?

    Because only the chosen Desktop will be fully installed. In your case KDE.
    For Gnome only the libraries needed for the chosen apps will be installed

    > I'm doing network installation. O chose network installation in order
    > to be more procise and less bloated but apparently I failed.

    No. The base libraries for Gnome or KDE are just a few MBytes. And only
    loaded when needed.
    You have chosen KDE as DE. So KDE will be in memory after startup. As long
    as you do not start an app which needs Gnome, the Gnome libs will stay on
    disk
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

+ Reply to Thread