Unable to insmod k8temp - help... - Suse

This is a discussion on Unable to insmod k8temp - help... - Suse ; Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent) k8temp module ...

  1. Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.

    I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    command successfully.

    Great -- I have a module now!!

    Then, I got to the part where I was supposed to insmod k8temp.ko --
    and it said something about "unknown symbol". So I issued the dmesg
    command and it shows:

    k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_register
    k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_unregister

    These symbols are referenced in the k8temp.mod.c file that came with
    the source code, which I'm assuming is used when I run make (?)

    So, why is insmod complaining about these two symbols?

    Anyone who can help...I am pulling my hair out here after 5 hours of
    time trying to get this to work.

    -Randy

    static const struct modversion_info ____versions[]
    __attribute_used__
    __attribute__((section("__versions"))) = {
    { 0x4d80e3fe, "struct_module" },
    { 0xe9dc150d, "device_create_file" },
    { 0xe0bbd551, "hwmon_device_register" },
    { 0x86cb9d9f, "__mutex_init" },
    { 0x1b7d4074, "printk" },
    { 0x7afadb2b, "dev_driver_string" },
    { 0xb85ab97a, "kmem_cache_zalloc" },
    { 0xab978df6, "malloc_sizes" },
    { 0xbc2b8a99, "__pci_register_driver" },
    { 0x1d26aa98, "sprintf" },
    { 0xdf2126f8, "mutex_unlock" },
    { 0xa5679ee7, "pci_bus_write_config_byte" },
    { 0xdd4125c0, "pci_bus_read_config_byte" },
    { 0x7d11c268, "jiffies" },
    { 0xd9f7b1a3, "mutex_lock" },
    { 0x37a0cba, "kfree" },
    { 0x4e04a582, "device_remove_file" },
    { 0x8b608aa8, "hwmon_device_unregister" },
    { 0x9c47dbe1, "pci_unregister_driver" },
    };

  2. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    > utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    > openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    > k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.
    >
    > I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    > I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    > I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    > command successfully.
    >
    > Great -- I have a module now!!

    Hi Randy,

    there is a rpm of that module. Have a look here:
    http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-...System/k8temp/

    Volker

    --
    Iron Law of Distribution:
    Them that has, gets.

  3. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    On Sep 27, 3:51 am, Volker Hartmann wrote:
    > Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > > Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    > > utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    > > openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    > > k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.

    > > I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    > > I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    > > I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    > > command successfully.

    > > Great -- I have a module now!!

    > Hi Randy,
    >
    > there is a rpm of that module. Have a look here:http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-...System/k8temp/
    >
    > Volker
    >
    > --
    > Iron Law of Distribution:
    > Them that has, gets.
    > .:: virtuatron::weblog - http:\\www.virtuatron.de::.

    Thanks...but like a dope when I first installed openSUSE I downloaded
    the 32 bit version. Most everything I find out there for my AMD
    Athlon processor is compiled as 64 bit, of course.

    I think I'm going to just wipe the disks and re-install with the 64
    bit download.

    -Randy

  4. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > On Sep 27, 3:51 am, Volker Hartmann wrote:
    >> Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    >> > Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    >> > utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    >> > openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    >> > k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.

    >> > I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    >> > I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    >> > I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    >> > command successfully.

    >> > Great -- I have a module now!!

    >> Hi Randy,
    >>
    >> there is a rpm of that module. Have a look

    here:http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-...System/k8temp/

    >> Volker
    >>
    >> --
    >> Iron Law of Distribution:
    >> Them that has, gets.
    >> .:: virtuatron::weblog - http:\\www.virtuatron.de::.

    > Thanks...but like a dope when I first installed openSUSE I downloaded
    > the 32 bit version. Most everything I find out there for my AMD
    > Athlon processor is compiled as 64 bit, of course.
    >
    > I think I'm going to just wipe the disks and re-install with the 64
    > bit download.
    >
    > -Randy

    you would be better off with the 32 bit version. I have both 32 bit and 64
    bit opensuse 120.2on my pc i run into a lot of Dependance problems on the
    64 bit version

  5. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    you would be better off with the 32 bit version. I have both 32 bit and 64
    bit opensuse 10.2 on my amd pc i run into a lot of Dependance problems on
    the 64 bit version i just installed the k8temp packages

    k8temp-kmp-default-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm
    k8temp-kmp-bigsmp-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm

    works a treat no need any more to run a shell script to get k8temp to work

    glad some one brought that one up thanks

  6. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    On Sep 28, 6:17 am, darklight wrote:
    > you would be better off with the 32 bit version. I have both 32 bit and 64
    > bit opensuse 10.2 on my amd pc i run into a lot of Dependance problems on
    > the 64 bit version i just installed the k8temp packages
    >
    > k8temp-kmp-default-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm
    > k8temp-kmp-bigsmp-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm
    >
    > works a treat no need any more to run a shell script to get k8temp to work
    >
    > glad some one brought that one up thanks

    So, anyplace I see "i586" as the spec, it would install and run okay
    on my 32-bit install, with an AMD processor? That's good to
    know...thanks...

    -Randy

  7. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    > utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    > openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    > k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.
    >
    > I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    > I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    > I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    > command successfully.
    >
    > Great -- I have a module now!!
    >
    > Then, I got to the part where I was supposed to insmod k8temp.ko --
    > and it said something about "unknown symbol". So I issued the dmesg
    > command and it shows:
    >
    > k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_register
    > k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_unregister
    >
    > These symbols are referenced in the k8temp.mod.c file that came with
    > the source code, which I'm assuming is used when I run make (?)
    >
    > So, why is insmod complaining about these two symbols?
    >
    > Anyone who can help...I am pulling my hair out here after 5 hours of
    > time trying to get this to work.
    >
    > -Randy
    >
    > static const struct modversion_info ____versions[]
    > __attribute_used__
    > __attribute__((section("__versions"))) = {
    > { 0x4d80e3fe, "struct_module" },
    > { 0xe9dc150d, "device_create_file" },
    > { 0xe0bbd551, "hwmon_device_register" },
    > { 0x86cb9d9f, "__mutex_init" },
    > { 0x1b7d4074, "printk" },
    > { 0x7afadb2b, "dev_driver_string" },
    > { 0xb85ab97a, "kmem_cache_zalloc" },
    > { 0xab978df6, "malloc_sizes" },
    > { 0xbc2b8a99, "__pci_register_driver" },
    > { 0x1d26aa98, "sprintf" },
    > { 0xdf2126f8, "mutex_unlock" },
    > { 0xa5679ee7, "pci_bus_write_config_byte" },
    > { 0xdd4125c0, "pci_bus_read_config_byte" },
    > { 0x7d11c268, "jiffies" },
    > { 0xd9f7b1a3, "mutex_lock" },
    > { 0x37a0cba, "kfree" },
    > { 0x4e04a582, "device_remove_file" },
    > { 0x8b608aa8, "hwmon_device_unregister" },
    > { 0x9c47dbe1, "pci_unregister_driver" },
    > };

    I have an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ running openSUSE 10.2. To get k8temp, I
    simply upgraded my kernel to the latest openSUSE kernel. I have this repo
    in smart:

    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...nSUSE_Factory/

    Right now I'm using kernel 2.6.22.9-36 and it's awesome. It's much faster
    than the 2.6.18 kernel that came with openSUSE 10.2.

    --
    Chris

  8. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    On Sep 28, 5:03 pm, Chris wrote:
    > Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > > Okay, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the lm_sensors
    > > utility working on my AMD system. I installed the 32-bit version of
    > > openSUSE, so the only way I could see how to get the (dependent)
    > > k8temp module installed was to compile it myself.

    > > I figured out how to install the kernel source.
    > > I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers.
    > > I got the source code for the k8temp package, and I issued the 'make'
    > > command successfully.

    > > Great -- I have a module now!!

    > > Then, I got to the part where I was supposed to insmod k8temp.ko --
    > > and it said something about "unknown symbol". So I issued the dmesg
    > > command and it shows:

    > > k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_register
    > > k8temp: Unknown symbol hwmon_device_unregister

    > > These symbols are referenced in the k8temp.mod.c file that came with
    > > the source code, which I'm assuming is used when I run make (?)

    > > So, why is insmod complaining about these two symbols?

    > > Anyone who can help...I am pulling my hair out here after 5 hours of
    > > time trying to get this to work.

    > > -Randy

    > > static const struct modversion_info ____versions[]
    > > __attribute_used__
    > > __attribute__((section("__versions"))) = {
    > > { 0x4d80e3fe, "struct_module" },
    > > { 0xe9dc150d, "device_create_file" },
    > > { 0xe0bbd551, "hwmon_device_register" },
    > > { 0x86cb9d9f, "__mutex_init" },
    > > { 0x1b7d4074, "printk" },
    > > { 0x7afadb2b, "dev_driver_string" },
    > > { 0xb85ab97a, "kmem_cache_zalloc" },
    > > { 0xab978df6, "malloc_sizes" },
    > > { 0xbc2b8a99, "__pci_register_driver" },
    > > { 0x1d26aa98, "sprintf" },
    > > { 0xdf2126f8, "mutex_unlock" },
    > > { 0xa5679ee7, "pci_bus_write_config_byte" },
    > > { 0xdd4125c0, "pci_bus_read_config_byte" },
    > > { 0x7d11c268, "jiffies" },
    > > { 0xd9f7b1a3, "mutex_lock" },
    > > { 0x37a0cba, "kfree" },
    > > { 0x4e04a582, "device_remove_file" },
    > > { 0x8b608aa8, "hwmon_device_unregister" },
    > > { 0x9c47dbe1, "pci_unregister_driver" },
    > > };

    > I have an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ running openSUSE 10.2. To get k8temp, I
    > simply upgraded my kernel to the latest openSUSE kernel. I have this repo
    > in smart:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...nSUSE_Factory/
    >
    > Right now I'm using kernel 2.6.22.9-36 and it's awesome. It's much faster
    > than the 2.6.18 kernel that came with openSUSE 10.2.
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    Pardon my ignorance, but is this a pretty easy/straightforward thing
    to do (kernel upgrade) ?

    I see the RPM for the 2.6.22.9-36 kernel...and I'm tempted to click on
    it...but is there a chance of screwing up anything else on my system
    (e.g. video drivers, etc.) if I do this?

    Thanks,
    Randy

  9. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    I've never had any problems with kernel updates.

    Why don't you make backup of your old kernel ( located in /boot ) and try
    the new one?

  10. Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > Pardon my ignorance, but is this a pretty easy/straightforward thing
    > to do (kernel upgrade) ?
    >
    > I see the RPM for the 2.6.22.9-36 kernel...and I'm tempted to click on
    > it...but is there a chance of screwing up anything else on my system
    > (e.g. video drivers, etc.) if I do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Randy

    I felt the same way before I did too. What happens is that your old kernel
    does not get removed. If you use The Smart Package Manager, it will say
    that it is upgrading the kernel, however, it does not actually remove the
    previous kernel.

    After it is installed, you will see the new kernel and your previous kernel
    listed in Grub. If the new kernel doesn't work, you can always reboot and
    selected the previous one.

    Once you know the new kernel works, you can even experiment with compiling
    your own kernel. Again, since you are using openSUSE kernel packages, the
    compilation is very straightforward and integrates well.

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread