Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3 - Suse ; I run open SUSE 10.2 on Acer Notebook/Laptop and on the KPowersave applet I select the "Powersave" as the Active Scheme (for both Battery and AC power modes) and same for CPU Frequency Policy. In the Yast Power Management Setup, ...

  1. Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3

    I run open SUSE 10.2 on Acer Notebook/Laptop and on the KPowersave
    applet I select the "Powersave" as the Active Scheme (for both Battery
    and AC power modes) and same for CPU Frequency Policy. In the Yast Power
    Management Setup, I select the "Passive" cooling policy, i.e. the system
    first reduces frequency then, if that does not help, turns the cooling
    fan on. The system runs cool and quite, better than with any other
    distro I tested, and I have tried about a dozen of them!

    How can I achieve the same "Passive" cooling policy effect in openSUSE
    10.3 as I can with 10.2? The normal KPowersave options are not able to
    keep the CPU cool when Firefox is running with six plus tabs open.

    Cheers

  2. Re: Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3

    Peter wrote:

    > How can I achieve the same "Passive" cooling policy effect in openSUSE
    > 10.3 as I can with 10.2? The normal KPowersave options are not able to
    > keep the CPU cool when Firefox is running with six plus tabs open.

    sorry to say....
    openSUSE 10.3 IS NOT FINAL
    http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/10.3

    but is is very good @ RC1 ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3

    EOS wrote:
    > sorry to say....
    > openSUSE 10.3 IS NOT FINAL
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/10.3
    >
    > but is is very good @ RC1 ;-)

    RC1 is sooooo last week. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  4. Re: Yast Power Management now in 10.2 not supported in 10.3

    EOS wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> How can I achieve the same "Passive" cooling policy effect in openSUSE
    >> 10.3 as I can with 10.2? The normal KPowersave options are not able to
    >> keep the CPU cool when Firefox is running with six plus tabs open.

    > sorry to say....
    > openSUSE 10.3 IS NOT FINAL
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/10.3
    >
    > but is is very good @ RC1 ;-)

    In RC1,I had to deal with a major bug related to new "intel" xorg
    driver. That is fixed now in RC2, after a few bug reports were acted
    upon, but they have a regression (for my hardware) with sound card
    setup.

    MMedia is a 1-click setup now, way to go!

    Even though 10.3 is not final (10.3 RC2 virtually is), I saw the
    comments below posted on "openSUSE News" and thus asked for advice here.
    Don't worry, I will ask again when "final" comes out in a few days! :-)

    openSUSE News:

    Comment by mark 2007-09-20

    "...I canīt find the Powermanagement inside of YAST?..."

    Comment by Beineri 2007-09-20
    "...The yast2-power-management module has been dropped...."

    http://news.opensuse.org/?p=305

+ Reply to Thread