Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2 - Suse ; When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for "application/x-mplayer2" Of ...

  1. Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

  2. Re: Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:30:48 -0400, Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    > windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    > old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    > "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    > Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    > Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    > beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    > to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    > where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    > plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

    I thing you might want mozplugger (which can use xine, which is used also
    by totem).

    There's also mplayerplugin, but I've never used it.

    Otherwise there's always the Media Player Connectivity Firefox extension
    (my current fave)

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003

  3. Re: Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    David Haggett wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:30:48 -0400, Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >
    >> When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    >> windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    >> old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    >> "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    >> Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    >> Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    >> beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    >> to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    >> where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    >> plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

    > I thing you might want mozplugger (which can use xine, which is used also
    > by totem).
    >
    > There's also mplayerplugin, but I've never used it.
    >
    > Otherwise there's always the Media Player Connectivity Firefox extension
    > (my current fave)

    OK going to try MPC, sounds like it might handle quite a number of
    quirks! Thanx.

  4. Re: Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > David Haggett wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:30:48 -0400, Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    >>> windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    >>> old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    >>> "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    >>> Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    >>> Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    >>> beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    >>> to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    >>> where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    >>> plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

    >> I thing you might want mozplugger (which can use xine, which is used also
    >> by totem).
    >>
    >> There's also mplayerplugin, but I've never used it.
    >>
    >> Otherwise there's always the Media Player Connectivity Firefox extension
    >> (my current fave)
    >>

    > OK going to try MPC, sounds like it might handle quite a number of
    > quirks! Thanx.

    Ooops....turns out firefox was wrong....it wants shockwave, at least MPC
    was smart enough to ferret that fact out.

  5. Re: Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    On Sep 25, 5:30 pm, Barnacle Bill the Sailor
    wrote:
    > When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    > windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    > old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    > "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    > Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    > Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    > beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    > to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    > where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    > plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

    Try using mplayer (and mplayer plugin). Also see aboutlugins (a URL
    in your browser) to see the plugins the browser is aware of, as well
    as about:config to work with browser configuration parameters.

    What is the browser you are using?

    Boris.

  6. Re: Firefox needs plugin....application/x-mplayer2

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 5:30 pm, Barnacle Bill the Sailor
    > wrote:
    >> When I happen upon a site that has a multimedia piece in wmv, wma or
    >> windoze anything, and the plugins are called via javascript I get the
    >> old "plugin needed" complaint screen, saying a plugin is needed for
    >> "application/x-mplayer2" Of course what it wants is Windoze Media
    >> Player. But Totem plays all those pieces fine.So what I want is a
    >> Firefox Totem plugin that will answer a call for WMP. Is there such a
    >> beast? If so what is the name of the SO file, and will putting a symlink
    >> to it in the plugins directory make it answer for WMP calls? If not
    >> where would I find a config file to tell Firefox to look to the totem
    >> plugin to satisfy calls for application/x-mplayer2?

    > Try using mplayer (and mplayer plugin). Also see aboutlugins (a URL
    > in your browser) to see the plugins the browser is aware of, as well
    > as about:config to work with browser configuration parameters.
    >
    > What is the browser you are using?
    >
    > Boris.

    Firefox I am using ver 2+

+ Reply to Thread