OpenOffice 2.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 2.3 - Suse ; Can anyone give me a url for a good SuSe 10.2 respository for OpenOffice 2.3. I tried using the one at: download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/ but after in stalling the only option kmenu is for the quick starter and when I use it ...

  1. OpenOffice 2.3

    Can anyone give me a url for a good SuSe 10.2 respository for OpenOffice
    2.3. I tried using the one at:

    download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    but after in stalling the only option kmenu is for the quick starter and
    when I use it the only option that comes up is formula. It appears the icon
    part is not in the respository. I'm using SUSE 10.2 (2.6.18.8-0.5-bigsmp),
    had OOo 2.2.1 installed.

    I reinstalled 2.2.1 but it intermittanly will not open documents when open
    or recent documents are clicked. Trying to start write or calc from kmenu
    does nothing until i reboot.

    ps -A
    4796 ? 00:00:00 soffice
    4810 ? 00:11:22 soffice.bin
    4828 ? 00:00:00 soffice.bin

    even after killing these it takes apowerdown reboot to get the writer to
    open adocument.

    F figure I might as well uninstall all OOo and try 2.3 if there is agood
    SUSE RPM.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  2. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    russbucket wrote:

    > download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    Try changing to the stable branch as the newer version is available today !

    I am using the factory download but I think the stable branch should do it.
    At least I hope it's better than the unstable one was..

    You may want to turn off the unstable branch installation source first.
    Then do a software management update.

  3. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > russbucket wrote:

    download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    > Try changing to the stable branch as the newer version is available today
    > !
    >
    > I am using the factory download but I think the stable branch should do
    > it. At least I hope it's better than the unstable one was..
    >
    > You may want to turn off the unstable branch installation source first.
    > Then do a software management update.

    Thanks, I do that. I actually have the UNSTABLE turned off already. I will
    post how it does.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  4. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    russbucket wrote:

    > Can anyone give me a url for a good SuSe 10.2 respository for OpenOffice
    > 2.3. I tried using the one at:

    download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    > but after in stalling the only option kmenu is for the quick starter and
    > when I use it the only option that comes up is formula. It appears the
    > icon part is not in the respository. I'm using SUSE 10.2
    > (2.6.18.8-0.5-bigsmp), had OOo 2.2.1 installed.

    You must install OO owriter , Calc etc by hand from that repository and then
    all works fine!

    Derk

  5. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Derk wrote:
    > russbucket wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone give me a url for a good SuSe 10.2 respository for OpenOffice
    >> 2.3. I tried using the one at:
    >>

    > download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/
    >> but after in stalling the only option kmenu is for the quick starter and
    >> when I use it the only option that comes up is formula. It appears the
    >> icon part is not in the respository. I'm using SUSE 10.2
    >> (2.6.18.8-0.5-bigsmp), had OOo 2.2.1 installed.

    > You must install OO owriter , Calc etc by hand from that repository and then
    > all works fine!
    >
    > Derk

    Hmmm, happened to me too...and did put them in manually. Actually I
    thought I had broke something so went to Yast, and uninstalled every OO
    bit I had. Then went piece by piece checking everything I thought I
    might ever need....making sure I got the 64 bit ver. 2.3 etc etc. Would
    think that a proper basic install would give you at least two or three
    of the most used modules.

  6. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Derk wrote:
    >> russbucket wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone give me a url for a good SuSe 10.2 respository for OpenOffice
    >>> 2.3. I tried using the one at:
    >>>

    >> download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/
    >>> but after in stalling the only option kmenu is for the quick starter and
    >>> when I use it the only option that comes up is formula. It appears the
    >>> icon part is not in the respository. I'm using SUSE 10.2
    >>> (2.6.18.8-0.5-bigsmp), had OOo 2.2.1 installed.

    >> You must install OO owriter , Calc etc by hand from that repository and then
    >> all works fine!
    >>
    >> Derk

    > Hmmm, happened to me too...and did put them in manually. Actually I
    > thought I had broke something so went to Yast, and uninstalled every OO
    > bit I had. Then went piece by piece checking everything I thought I
    > might ever need....making sure I got the 64 bit ver. 2.3 etc etc. Would
    > think that a proper basic install would give you at least two or three
    > of the most used modules.

    I just updated my system this afternoon. When I went to use the new
    OpenOffice 2.3, nothing happened. I thought I had really made yet
    another bungle. I went back into YaST, looked, checked off all of the
    individual applications, and installed them. Thus far, everything works
    just fine. This was much different than the last time I updated
    OpenOffice. Does anyone know the reason it was done this way this time?

  7. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    gaianathos wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Derk wrote:

    >>> download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/
    >>> You must install OO owriter , Calc etc by hand from that repository and then
    >>> all works fine!
    >>>
    >>> Derk

    >> Hmmm, happened to me too...and did put them in manually. Actually I
    >> thought I had broke something so went to Yast, and uninstalled every OO
    >> bit I had. Then went piece by piece checking everything I thought I
    >> might ever need....making sure I got the 64 bit ver. 2.3 etc etc. Would
    >> think that a proper basic install would give you at least two or three
    >> of the most used modules.

    > I just updated my system this afternoon. When I went to use the new
    > OpenOffice 2.3, nothing happened. I thought I had really made yet
    > another bungle. I went back into YaST, looked, checked off all of the
    > individual applications, and installed them. Thus far, everything works
    > just fine. This was much different than the last time I updated
    > OpenOffice. Does anyone know the reason it was done this way this time?

    I can only think that they want it to be totally customizable....yeah I
    still got the custom Novell splash that trumpets version 2.1 but 2.3
    loads afterward thankfully. The broken install belied a spiffy green
    splash screen that I am going to try to get back.

  8. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > russbucket wrote:

    download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    > Try changing to the stable branch as the newer version is available today
    > !
    >
    > I am using the factory download but I think the stable branch should do
    > it. At least I hope it's better than the unstable one was..
    >
    > You may want to turn off the unstable branch installation source first.
    > Then do a software management update.

    Michael your suggestion worked but I was unable to uninstall first since it
    wanted me to delete KDE. I did the upgrade then had to go back and do it
    again since I did not look at the general description that said you had to
    install each module you want. All is working now.

    Thanks for your help and also all the others who responded. Next time I read
    the general description. Anyone know why it want to delete KDe when I tried
    to remove the quickstater and the kde extensions?

    Thanks again
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  9. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    russbucket wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> russbucket wrote:
    >>

    > download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/
    >> Try changing to the stable branch as the newer version is available today
    >> !
    >>
    >> I am using the factory download but I think the stable branch should do
    >> it. At least I hope it's better than the unstable one was..
    >>
    >> You may want to turn off the unstable branch installation source first.
    >> Then do a software management update.

    > Michael your suggestion worked but I was unable to uninstall first since it
    > wanted me to delete KDE. I did the upgrade then had to go back and do it
    > again since I did not look at the general description that said you had to
    > install each module you want. All is working now.
    >
    > Thanks for your help and also all the others who responded. Next time I read
    > the general description. Anyone know why it want to delete KDe when I tried
    > to remove the quickstater and the kde extensions?
    >
    > Thanks again

    When it prompts that you should remove KDE, click one of the ignore
    options. That's what I did, and KDE (and Gnome) were unmolested. And
    when I went to reinstall I choose the KDE and Gnome plugins for
    reinstallation. Yast is funny about dependencies, it thinks if you
    remove one that the whole world will stop spinning.

  10. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > Hmmm, happened to me too...and did put them in manually. Actually I
    > thought I had broke something so went to Yast, and uninstalled every OO
    > bit I had. Then went piece by piece checking everything I thought I
    > might ever need....making sure I got the 64 bit ver. 2.3 etc etc. Would
    > think that a proper basic install would give you at least two or three
    > of the most used modules.

    It's written in the description:

    A Free Office Suite (Framework)

    Openoffice.org is a comprehensive office package featuring a word
    processor, a spreadsheet, a presentation program, and much more. This
    package provides only the basic framework. You have to install the
    additional modules to get the required functionality, see packages:

    - OpenOffice_org-base

    - OpenOffice_org-calc

    - OpenOffice_org-draw

    - OpenOffice_org-impress

    - OpenOffice_org-math

    - OpenOffice_org-writer

    Some optional features are provided by extra packages, for example:

    - OpenOffice_org-mailmerge

    - OpenOffice_org-filters

    - OpenOffice_org-kde

    - OpenOffice_org-gnome

    Non-English localizations are provided by extra packges as well, for
    example:

    - OpenOffice_org-de

    - OpenOffice_org-fr

    - OpenOffice_org-it

    Derk

  11. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > russbucket wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >>> russbucket wrote:

    download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/
    >>> Try changing to the stable branch as the newer version is available
    >>> today !
    >>>
    >>> I am using the factory download but I think the stable branch should do
    >>> it. At least I hope it's better than the unstable one was..
    >>>
    >>> You may want to turn off the unstable branch installation source first.
    >>> Then do a software management update.

    >> Michael your suggestion worked but I was unable to uninstall first since
    >> it wanted me to delete KDE. I did the upgrade then had to go back and do
    >> it again since I did not look at the general description that said you
    >> had to install each module you want. All is working now.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help and also all the others who responded. Next time I
    >> read the general description. Anyone know why it want to delete KDe when
    >> I tried to remove the quickstater and the kde extensions?
    >>
    >> Thanks again

    > When it prompts that you should remove KDE, click one of the ignore
    > options. That's what I did, and KDE (and Gnome) were unmolested. And
    > when I went to reinstall I choose the KDE and Gnome plugins for
    > reinstallation. Yast is funny about dependencies, it thinks if you
    > remove one that the whole world will stop spinning.

    Thats what I did, everything seems to be working now. when I went into the
    suseupdater this morning it showed an update for OOo and when I clicked it
    to installed it checked every option under openoffice. I don't want to
    install all the other versions so I did not update.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  12. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

    russbucket wrote:
    >Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    >> russbucket wrote:

    >download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/UNSTABLE/openSUSE_10.2/

    >>> Michael your suggestion worked but I was unable to uninstall first since
    >>> it wanted me to delete KDE. I did the upgrade then had to go back and do
    >>> it again since I did not look at the general description that said you
    >>> had to install each module you want. All is working now.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help and also all the others who responded. Next time I
    >>> read the general description. Anyone know why it want to delete KDe when
    >>> I tried to remove the quickstater and the kde extensions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again

    >> When it prompts that you should remove KDE, click one of the ignore
    >> options. That's what I did, and KDE (and Gnome) were unmolested. And
    >> when I went to reinstall I choose the KDE and Gnome plugins for
    >> reinstallation. Yast is funny about dependencies, it thinks if you
    >> remove one that the whole world will stop spinning.

    >Thats what I did, everything seems to be working now. when I went into the
    >suseupdater this morning it showed an update for OOo and when I clicked it
    >to installed it checked every option under openoffice. I don't want to
    >install all the other versions so I did not update.
    >--
    >Russ
    >Registered Linux user #441463

    I repeat, as I've said before, there is no point to installing
    OpenOffice from the OpenSuse sources. Just download the darn
    thing from openoffice.org (or whatever it is) and install what
    you want. That way you can update (from openoffice.org) when
    you want and delete modules you don't want without OpenSUSE
    complaining all the time.

    I see no advantage from installing OO from OS and a number of
    disadvantages, many of which have been discussed in this thread.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  13. Re: OpenOffice 2.3

+ Reply to Thread