need help with rc1 please. - Suse

This is a discussion on need help with rc1 please. - Suse ; I dont know what i am doing wrong, it has been four days i have not been able to sleep....... I have an amd 64 bit duo core with 2 gig ram nvidia 7600gt sli vid card. I downloaded the ...

  1. need help with rc1 please.

    I dont know what i am doing wrong, it has been four days i have not been
    able to sleep....... I have an amd 64 bit duo core with 2 gig ram nvidia
    7600gt sli vid card. I downloaded the kde cd and burnt it. it boots up
    and gets to "loading sk98lin and suddenly it says "can not find suse
    repository". I burnt a few copies ofit on different machines, no
    results. I thought bugger it, i downloaded the dvd 64 bit and booted it
    up and still the same result. it can not find the repository on the cd
    or dvd. So i made a small partition on my disk and copied the content of
    the cd in it and booted it up and pointed the installaton to where the
    repo was and bingo, it installed ......

    please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read
    the content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd .
    I would really appreciate your help.

    cheers

  2. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    Al wrote:
    > please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read
    > the content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd .
    > I would really appreciate your help.

    RC1 is not a finished product. File a bugreport.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  3. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    houghi wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >> please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read
    >> the content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd .
    >> I would really appreciate your help.

    > RC1 is not a finished product. File a bugreport.
    >
    > houghi

    I am thinking about it, but it just seems so.... I am wondering if it
    has happened to anyone else. I have done a search for the review on rc1
    64 bit and I have not come across anything yet.

    cheers

  4. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:03:36 +1000, Al wrote:

    > I dont know what i am doing wrong, it has been four days i have not been
    > able to sleep....... I have an amd 64 bit duo core with 2 gig ram nvidia
    > 7600gt sli vid card. I downloaded the kde cd and burnt it. it boots up and
    > gets to "loading sk98lin and suddenly it says "can not find suse
    > repository". I burnt a few copies ofit on different machines, no results.
    > I thought bugger it, i downloaded the dvd 64 bit and booted it up and
    > still the same result. it can not find the repository on the cd or dvd. So
    > i made a small partition on my disk and copied the content of the cd in it
    > and booted it up and pointed the installaton to where the repo was and
    > bingo, it installed ......
    >
    > please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read the
    > content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd . I would really appreciate
    > your help.
    >
    > cheers

    A similar thing happened to me with the i386 dvd. I noted the system
    seemed to have stalled and checked the dvd light. It was not on. No error
    message appeared on screen but on ctl-alt-F1 the message about not finding
    the repositary was shown.
    The solution was to ctl-alt-F2 and type 'mount' to show if the dvd was
    mounted - it was but immediatly the system then started to install the
    rpms.

  5. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    Al wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read
    >>> the content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd .
    >>> I would really appreciate your help.

    >> RC1 is not a finished product. File a bugreport.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I am thinking about it, but it just seems so.... I am wondering if it
    > has happened to anyone else. I have done a search for the review on rc1
    > 64 bit and I have not come across anything yet.
    >
    > cheers

    Hi Al,

    When you see the error can you press Retry button few times. That helped
    here when installation was downloading files. It will try to use online
    resources even if DVD is used. Some people complain on opensuse-factory
    list about this.

    Second, can you select instead of normal installation only base system, and
    see if that helps. You will end in text mode, but than you can run YaST and
    add more.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    graham wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:03:36 +1000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I dont know what i am doing wrong, it has been four days i have not been
    >> able to sleep....... I have an amd 64 bit duo core with 2 gig ram nvidia
    >> 7600gt sli vid card. I downloaded the kde cd and burnt it. it boots up and
    >> gets to "loading sk98lin and suddenly it says "can not find suse
    >> repository". I burnt a few copies ofit on different machines, no results.
    >> I thought bugger it, i downloaded the dvd 64 bit and booted it up and
    >> still the same result. it can not find the repository on the cd or dvd. So
    >> i made a small partition on my disk and copied the content of the cd in it
    >> and booted it up and pointed the installaton to where the repo was and
    >> bingo, it installed ......
    >>
    >> please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read the
    >> content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd . I would really appreciate
    >> your help.
    >>
    >> cheers

    > A similar thing happened to me with the i386 dvd. I noted the system
    > seemed to have stalled and checked the dvd light. It was not on. No error
    > message appeared on screen but on ctl-alt-F1 the message about not finding
    > the repositary was shown.
    > The solution was to ctl-alt-F2 and type 'mount' to show if the dvd was
    > mounted - it was but immediatly the system then started to install the
    > rpms.

    thank you..
    for some reason, the disks get unmounted during the installation. not a
    big deal i suppose. hope they would fix it in the main release. I can
    not wait, very excited about the new one.

    cheers

  7. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    graham wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:03:36 +1000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I dont know what i am doing wrong, it has been four days i have not been
    >> able to sleep....... I have an amd 64 bit duo core with 2 gig ram nvidia
    >> 7600gt sli vid card. I downloaded the kde cd and burnt it. it boots up
    >> and gets to "loading sk98lin and suddenly it says "can not find suse
    >> repository". I burnt a few copies ofit on different machines, no results.
    >> I thought bugger it, i downloaded the dvd 64 bit and booted it up and
    >> still the same result. it can not find the repository on the cd or dvd.
    >> So i made a small partition on my disk and copied the content of the cd
    >> in it and booted it up and pointed the installaton to where the repo was
    >> and bingo, it installed ......
    >>
    >> please tell me what am i doing wrong? why none of my machines can read
    >> the content of the dvd or cd rc1 off the cd or dvd . I would really
    >> appreciate your help.
    >>
    >> cheers

    > A similar thing happened to me with the i386 dvd. I noted the system
    > seemed to have stalled and checked the dvd light. It was not on. No error
    > message appeared on screen but on ctl-alt-F1 the message about not finding
    > the repositary was shown.
    > The solution was to ctl-alt-F2 and type 'mount' to show if the dvd was
    > mounted - it was but immediatly the system then started to install the
    > rpms.

    Both the i386 and x86_64 DVD installations give me grief unless I uncheck
    the online repositories when asked for installation sources - for some
    reason, the default repositories are either missing a file or the d/l is
    corrupt. Install with NO sources other than the RC1 DVD and see if that
    helps.

    Amusing glitches with the x86_64 version here (Athlon 64 x2) is that when
    using Yast to add repositories using the Community Repositories button, all
    but a couple are listed in Chinese - not real helpful (but it is a nice new
    feature - works like a champ for the i386 version). The other nuisance is
    that the Install Software function insists that I am not only out of disk
    space, but I have more used than is available already! Fortunately,
    the "ignore it" button works as designed . Hey, it's still beta, after
    all.
    --
    Will Honea

  8. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    graham wrote:
    > A similar thing happened to me with the i386 dvd. I noted the system
    > seemed to have stalled and checked the dvd light. It was not on. No error
    > message appeared on screen but on ctl-alt-F1 the message about not finding
    > the repositary was shown.
    > The solution was to ctl-alt-F2 and type 'mount' to show if the dvd was
    > mounted - it was but immediatly the system then started to install the
    > rpms.

    I hape you have files a bugreport. Otherwise it might end up in the
    final version.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  9. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    Al wrote:
    > I am thinking about it, but it just seems so.... I am wondering if it
    > has happened to anyone else. I have done a search for the review on rc1
    > 64 bit and I have not come across anything yet.

    Even if nobody else has it, it is an unfinished product and not many
    people use it, so the onl option you have is to file a bug report or at
    least discuss it in the Factory mailinglist.

    This is NOT a good place to discuss unfinished products. Imagine
    everybody would have the same issue, it would be mentioned, yet because
    it was not mentioned in bgzilla, it will not be resolved, loosing
    probably valuable days before somebody puts it in bugzilla.

    Anyway, all water under the bridege as RC2 is out.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  10. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >Anyway, all water under the bridege as RC2 is out.

    Only as Live CDs or on the FTP server. There are no CD/DVD images of RC2
    available and given the MD5SUMS file only contains entries for the KDE
    and Gnome Live CDs, there doesn't appear to be plans to release
    installable sources.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  11. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >

    >>Anyway, all water under the bridege as RC2 is out.

    > Only as Live CDs or on the FTP server. There are no CD/DVD images of RC2
    > available and given the MD5SUMS file only contains entries for the KDE
    > and Gnome Live CDs, there doesn't appear to be plans to release
    > installable sources.

    Well, RC3 will soon be out anyway.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  12. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    Hi,

    houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >>

    >>>Anyway, all water under the bridege as RC2 is out.

    >> Only as Live CDs or on the FTP server. There are no CD/DVD images of RC2
    >> available and given the MD5SUMS file only contains entries for the KDE
    >> and Gnome Live CDs, there doesn't appear to be plans to release
    >> installable sources.

    > Well, RC3 will soon be out anyway.

    Actually the GM is to be build today.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  13. Re: need help with rc1 please.

    Andreas wrote:
    > Actually the GM is to be build today.

    So to all the people who saw a problem in the Alpha, Beta or RC; who
    have not reported it to Bugzilla and now notice it is not resolved:
    THIS IS YOUR FAULT!

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

+ Reply to Thread