Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness? - Suse

This is a discussion on Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness? - Suse ; I'm trying to pin down why I don't seem to have flakiness if I let the router assign my wireless card an address, but I do have flakiness if I set up the card in Yast2 to request the address ...

  1. Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness?

    I'm trying to pin down why I don't seem to have flakiness if I let the
    router assign my wireless card an address, but I do have flakiness if I set
    up the card in Yast2 to request the address 192.168.0.101. The wirless
    card (ath0) will suddenly just lose its connection to everything including
    the router--it just dies.

    I would nudge it back into action by running Yast2 again. "ifup ath0" often
    doesn't help--I have to click through its settings in Yast2 to spring it
    back into action.

    It's also only with the wireless card (ath0). When using a lan cable with
    eth0, I don't notice flakiness when I request the static IP 192.168.0.101.

    I tried updating to the latest madwifi and madwifi drivers for SuSE 10.2, as
    well as the kernel, but I still have the problem. In fact, last time I
    tried using a static address with these new packages, the card could no
    longer ping outside the network. It could ping the router fine,
    and /etc/resolv.conf had the correct nameserver (my gateway, 192.168.0.1)
    in there. There's no DNS problem. It knew yahoo's IP when I had it try to
    ping yahoo.com, even. But I got "Destination Unreachable".

    All is fine if I let the router choose ath0's IP address for me, by setting
    the card up to request an IP through DHCP. But I'm not guaranteed to
    always get 192.168.0.101 this way.

    Any ideas as to the culprit?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness?

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, kmh wrote:-

    >It could ping the router fine,
    >and /etc/resolv.conf had the correct nameserver (my gateway, 192.168.0.1)
    >in there. There's no DNS problem. It knew yahoo's IP when I had it try to
    >ping yahoo.com, even. But I got "Destination Unreachable".
    >
    >All is fine if I let the router choose ath0's IP address for me, by setting
    >the card up to request an IP through DHCP. But I'm not guaranteed to
    >always get 192.168.0.101 this way.
    >
    >Any ideas as to the culprit?

    If you allow the IP address to be assigned by DHCP, a few other things
    are configured at the same time. These are things like DNS servers,
    default gateways, etc. If you configure the network card with a static
    address, you have to specify these things yourself[0].

    To do this you'll need to start YaST. I'll assume you'll be using the
    GUI version of YaST, although the console version is virtually
    identical.

    First, select Network Devices -> Network Card.

    Then, after choosing how the cards are managed, and I use the
    traditional ifup method, select the correct interface and click edit.

    Then, under the Address tab, click the "Static Address Setup" radio
    button. You'll then be able to enter the IP address (192.168.0.101) and
    net mask (255.255.255.0).

    Next click on "Hostname and Name Server" button and enter the relevant
    details and click OK.

    Then click on the "Routeing" button and enter the default gateway
    address and click OK.

    Once you've done that, go back and verify the details are correct. If
    they are, click Next.

    The last thing to do is then to click Finish, and you should be done.

    [0] It might be possible to have the router (or another system[1])
    provide a fixed IP address for a specific MAC address. If so, configure
    the router to do so, and leave the machine to get the network addresses
    via DHCP.

    [1] My method is to have another system run a DHCP server. I have
    several systems that, despite being configured for DHCP, will always get
    the same IP address, as long as the network cards aren't changed. My
    router just forwards the requests for the wireless clients and passes
    back the results.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  3. Re: Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness?

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, kmh wrote:-
    >

    >>It could ping the router fine,
    >>and /etc/resolv.conf had the correct nameserver (my gateway, 192.168.0.1)
    >>in there. There's no DNS problem. It knew yahoo's IP when I had it try
    >>ping yahoo.com, even. But I got "Destination Unreachable".
    >>
    >>All is fine if I let the router choose ath0's IP address for me, by
    >>setting
    >>the card up to request an IP through DHCP. But I'm not guaranteed to
    >>always get 192.168.0.101 this way.
    >>
    >>Any ideas as to the culprit?

    > If you allow the IP address to be assigned by DHCP, a few other things
    > are configured at the same time. These are things like DNS servers,
    > default gateways, etc. If you configure the network card with a static
    > address, you have to specify these things yourself[0].
    >
    > To do this you'll need to start YaST. I'll assume you'll be using the
    > GUI version of YaST, although the console version is virtually
    > identical.
    >
    > First, select Network Devices -> Network Card.
    >
    > Then, after choosing how the cards are managed, and I use the
    > traditional ifup method, select the correct interface and click edit.
    >
    > Then, under the Address tab, click the "Static Address Setup" radio
    > button. You'll then be able to enter the IP address (192.168.0.101) and
    > net mask (255.255.255.0).
    >
    > Next click on "Hostname and Name Server" button and enter the relevant
    > details and click OK.
    >
    > Then click on the "Routeing" button and enter the default gateway
    > address and click OK.
    >
    > Once you've done that, go back and verify the details are correct. If
    > they are, click Next.
    >
    > The last thing to do is then to click Finish, and you should be done.

    Thank you, but I do set these things up when they're needed for the static
    IP address choice; I'm pretty familiar with what's in there and can set it
    up quickly. It's just that the ath0 configured with a static IP will work
    for a while, connect to the router and let me browse, but then after a
    while the connection silently dies and I can't ping within or outside of
    the network, let alone browse. I'm wondering if it's madwifi drivers.
    That's because eth0, when set up to request a static IP, does not have this
    problem.

    > [0] It might be possible to have the router (or another system[1])
    > provide a fixed IP address for a specific MAC address. If so, configure
    > the router to do so, and leave the machine to get the network addresses
    > via DHCP.
    >
    > [1] My method is to have another system run a DHCP server. I have
    > several systems that, despite being configured for DHCP, will always get
    > the same IP address, as long as the network cards aren't changed. My
    > router just forwards the requests for the wireless clients and passes
    > back the results.

    Hmm, your first solution is interesting. My router isn't capable of this,
    but I can see about any firmware updates for it. In any case, we'll be
    getting a new router when we move and I'll keep my eye out for that
    feature. Thank you :-)

  4. Re: Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness?

    kmh wrote:

> [...]

    > this problem.
    >
    >> [0] It might be possible to have the router (or another system[1])
    >> provide a fixed IP address for a specific MAC address. If so, configure
    >> the router to do so, and leave the machine to get the network addresses
    >> via DHCP.
    >>
    >> [1] My method is to have another system run a DHCP server. I have
    >> several systems that, despite being configured for DHCP, will always get
    >> the same IP address, as long as the network cards aren't changed. My
    >> router just forwards the requests for the wireless clients and passes
    >> back the results.

    > Hmm, your first solution is interesting. My router isn't capable of this,
    > but I can see about any firmware updates for it. In any case, we'll be
    > getting a new router when we move and I'll keep my eye out for that

    I have a Linksys BFSR41 router that allocates 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199
    as the dynamic range by default. To have a fixed address in that range, I
    have to change that range in the router to not include the ones I want as
    fixed.

    Your router may have a similar setup.

    John

+ Reply to Thread