Partioner shows !# On Disk - Suse

This is a discussion on Partioner shows !# On Disk - Suse ; What does it mean when I look in yast's Expert Partitioner and I see a !# next to the hdd description? So it looks like: Device Size F Type /dev/sda 8.4GB IBM-PSG-DMVS09D !# I also see this if I look ...

  1. Partioner shows !# On Disk

    What does it mean when I look in yast's Expert Partitioner and I see
    a !# next to the hdd description? So it looks like:

    Device Size F Type
    /dev/sda 8.4GB IBM-PSG-DMVS09D !#

    I also see this if I look under Yast/Hardware/Hardware_Information and
    look at the "disk" catagory. That particular disk shows that symbol.
    Is this an indicator of something being wrong with the hdd perhaps?

    I have software RAID on this system provided by SuSE's OS. Is there
    is simple way to determine if one of my disks is having trouble, or
    will something simply get written to one of the logs in /var/log?

    Thanks,
    Rob

  2. Re: Partioner shows !# On Disk

    rob_mazur schrieb:

    > Device Size F Type
    > /dev/sda 8.4GB IBM-PSG-DMVS09D !#
    >
    > I also see this if I look under Yast/Hardware/Hardware_Information and
    > look at the "disk" catagory. That particular disk shows that symbol.
    > Is this an indicator of something being wrong with the hdd perhaps?

    My guess is that !# is part of the "Type" string.

    > I have software RAID on this system provided by SuSE's OS. Is there
    > is simple way to determine if one of my disks is having trouble,

    $ cat /proc/mdstat

    Should show something like this if all is O.K.:

    Personalities : [raid1] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear]
    md1 : active raid1 hda6[0] hdc6[1]
    10490304 blocks [2/2] [UU] <-- UU means both are up and running

    md0 : active raid1 hda5[0] hdc5[1]
    10490304 blocks [2/2] [UU]

    unused devices:

    > or
    > will something simply get written to one of the logs in /var/log?

    The kernel writes a warning level message to syslog if a member of a multi
    device fails. This is written to /var/log/warn and /var/log/messages
    usually (but may be changed by tweaking /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf).

    Kind regards

    Jan

+ Reply to Thread