RC1 and xorg 7.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on RC1 and xorg 7.3 - Suse ; Hi, I looked for some info about xorg in the opensuse's site, but I didn't find anywhere that xorg 7.3 are included in RC1 or will be included in the final release. As 7.3 was released 15 days ago, I ...

  1. RC1 and xorg 7.3

    Hi,

    I looked for some info about xorg in the opensuse's site, but I didn't
    find anywhere that xorg 7.3 are included in RC1 or will be included in
    the final release.

    As 7.3 was released 15 days ago, I thought it would be included in
    most distros from now ahead.

    I'm very interested in the feature that allows hot-plugging for
    external displays, as I have big problems in this aspect with my
    actual config.

    So my questions are :
    Is there a pb with xorg 7.3 ? Is there some stability issues ?
    When will it be include in openSuse ?
    Is it easy to upgrade xorg 7.2 to 7.3 ? Is it a good or a bad step ?

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  2. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    sebas22 wrote:

    > Is it easy to upgrade xorg 7.2 to 7.3 ? Is it a good or a bad step ?

    i don't know?
    try it ;-)
    http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/software.opensuse.org/xorg73/
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:49:43 GMT, EOS wrote:

    >> Is it easy to upgrade xorg 7.2 to 7.3 ? Is it a good or a bad step ?

    >i don't know?
    >try it ;-)
    >http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/software.opensuse.org/xorg73/

    Ok, I'll do it, on a partiton for tests.
    Still : why isn't it included in actual release ? Is it bcoz it's not
    mature enough ?

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  4. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    sebas22 wrote:

    > Ok, I'll do it, on a partiton for tests.
    > Still : why isn't it included in actual release ? Is it bcoz it's not
    > mature enough ?

    i realy don't know.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.2

  5. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    On Sep 20, 5:22 pm, sebas22 wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:49:43 GMT, EOS wrote:
    > >> Is it easy to upgrade xorg 7.2 to 7.3 ? Is it a good or a bad step ?

    > >i don't know?
    > >try it ;-)
    > >http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/software.opensuse.org/xorg73/

    > Ok, I'll do it, on a partiton for tests.
    > Still : why isn't it included in actual release ? Is it bcoz it's not
    > mature enough ?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Sebas

    At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

  6. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    > At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    > New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

    10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  7. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    houghi wrote:

    > Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >> At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    >> New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

    > 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?

    Now, if I could manage to get the torrent downloaded... the opensuse site
    must be choked - been timing out on it all day.

    --
    Will Honea

  8. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    Will Honea wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >>> At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    >>> New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

    >> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?

    > Now, if I could manage to get the torrent downloaded... the opensuse site
    > must be choked - been timing out on it all day.

    Be sure to read the openSUSE-announce mailinglist, where it is also said
    what the expected bugs are and the fact that soon 10.0 will be out of
    suport.

    10.3 is still not out. RC is a candidate, it is NOT a finished product.
    Don't forget that.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  9. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    houghi wrote:

    > Will Honea wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:

    >>> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?

    >> Now, if I could manage to get the torrent downloaded... the opensuse
    >> site must be choked - been timing out on it all day.

    > Be sure to read the openSUSE-announce mailinglist, where it is also said
    > what the expected bugs are and the fact that soon 10.0 will be out of
    > suport.
    >
    > 10.3 is still not out. RC is a candidate, it is NOT a finished product.
    > Don't forget that.

    Gotcha. In this case, all but this one new Athlon 64x2 box is still on 10.2
    and each new beta has solved one or more real show stoppers on the new
    hardware so it's worth the exercise of d/l each step to see where it's
    going. Also a learning experience as I'm pretty new to Linux and foibles
    like Nvidia video are new challenges .

    Question 1: are bug reports that simply expand or extend the information of
    the ones already on bugzilla useful?

    Question 2: what is the RandR configuration for X all about? Is it a total
    change from what 10.2 uses?

    --
    Will Honea

  10. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    houghi wrote:
    > Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >> At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    >> New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

    > 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?
    >
    > houghi

    June

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  11. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    Will Honea wrote:
    > Gotcha. In this case, all but this one new Athlon 64x2 box is still on 10.2
    > and each new beta has solved one or more real show stoppers on the new
    > hardware so it's worth the exercise of d/l each step to see where it's
    > going. Also a learning experience as I'm pretty new to Linux and foibles
    > like Nvidia video are new challenges .

    testers must come from every knowledge background. Ideal from the best
    guru till some grandparent who never saw a PC in his life. So the
    feedback on NVideo chalanges is welcome.

    > Question 1: are bug reports that simply expand or extend the information of
    > the ones already on bugzilla useful?

    Yes. Bugzilla is also for expandaing things. This can go from wanting a
    colour for root in CLI. If it isn't in bugzalla, nobody will be apointed
    to doing anything about it and nothing will be done.

    However if it is a more generic idea, then a discussion in one of the
    many mailinglists will be better. That way you can discuss it first with
    many more people. e.g. would it not be better to have /home as a
    seperate partition. The discions was obviously yes, but how large must
    it be

    > Question 2: what is the RandR configuration for X all about? Is it a total
    > change from what 10.2 uses?

    RandR? What's that? I do not have any time left these days to install
    any Beta, Alpha or RC. :-(

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  12. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    Vahis wrote:
    >> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?
    >>
    >> houghi

    > June

    :-D I have not kept count. However if SLES and SLED 11 comes out before,
    it will be 11.0, not 10.4. The release numbers for SUSE and thus
    openSUSE who follows it, are pure marketing related.

    So my guess is that 10.4 will necver come out. Since 6.4, we haven't had
    a .4 release and I believe that was the only one.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  13. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    On Sep 21, 9:04 pm, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    > >> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?

    > >> houghi

    > > June

    > :-D I have not kept count. However if SLES and SLED 11 comes out before,
    > it will be 11.0, not 10.4. The release numbers for SUSE and thus
    > openSUSE who follows it, are pure marketing related.
    >
    > So my guess is that 10.4 will necver come out. Since 6.4, we haven't had
    > a .4 release and I believe that was the only one.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    > America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    > have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

    There was a 4.4 - http://www.operating-system.org/betr...sh/bs-suse.htm
    although it was before my time. I think I started with 5.2.

  14. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Vahis wrote:-

    >houghi wrote:
    >> Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >>> At a guess, 10.3 has reached a stage where only bugs are being fixed.
    >>> New software levels (Open Office, whatever) have missed the boat.

    >> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?
    >>
    >> houghi

    >June

    That'll be the release date for 11.0. There won't be a 10.4 as shown by
    this thread on the packaging mailing list:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  15. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >Vahis wrote:
    >>> 10.3 has enterd RC1. When is 10.4 coming out?
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> June

    >:-D I have not kept count. However if SLES and SLED 11 comes out before,
    >it will be 11.0, not 10.4. The release numbers for SUSE and thus
    >openSUSE who follows it, are pure marketing related.
    >
    >So my guess is that 10.4 will necver come out. Since 6.4, we haven't had
    >a .4 release and I believe that was the only one.

    Nope. There was a 4.4, and even a 4.4.1

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3b2 32bit

  16. Re: RC1 and xorg 7.3

    David Bolt wrote:
    > That'll be the release date for 11.0. There won't be a 10.4 as shown by
    > this thread on the packaging mailing list:

    Hey, my gut feeling was correct. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

+ Reply to Thread