Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP - Suse

This is a discussion on Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP - Suse ; Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in. The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP One person in a customer review on ...

  1. Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new
    system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in.

    The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    One person in a customer review on this board said that "SUSE didn't
    like the graphics chip".

    Is there a way to confirm for sure if openSUSE would work on this
    board, with the integrated graphics chip -- or not?

    Thanks,
    Randy

  2. Re: Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new
    > system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in.
    >
    > The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP
    >
    > One person in a customer review on this board said that "SUSE didn't
    > like the graphics chip".
    >
    > Is there a way to confirm for sure if openSUSE would work on this
    > board, with the integrated graphics chip -- or not?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Randy

    I also have Unichrome IGP on a laptop...Suse should be able use it in
    VESA mode only. VIA has a Linux driver to make it work in 3d but I've
    never got it to work. Not that I've tried much but you will have to
    tinker with xorg.conf after you install the driver.

  3. Re: Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    Randy Brick MacKenna skrev:
    > Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new
    > system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in.
    >
    > The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP
    >
    > One person in a customer review on this board said that "SUSE didn't
    > like the graphics chip".
    >
    > Is there a way to confirm for sure if openSUSE would work on this
    > board, with the integrated graphics chip -- or not?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Randy

    I have been using the unichrome-project for some time. It is embedded in
    the default "xorg-x11-driver-video" package. And you can find further
    information using the command 'man via'. And also at the development site:
    http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Favourite quotes: "Observation statements and statements of experimental

  4. Re: Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    On Sep 20, 5:38 am, Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    > Randy Brick MacKenna skrev:
    >
    > > Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new
    > > system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in.

    > > The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    > > One person in a customer review on this board said that "SUSE didn't
    > > like the graphics chip".

    > > Is there a way to confirm for sure if openSUSE would work on this
    > > board, with the integrated graphics chip -- or not?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Randy

    > I have been using the unichrome-project for some time. It is embedded in
    > the default "xorg-x11-driver-video" package. And you can find further
    > information using the command 'man via'. And also at the development site:http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > --
    > Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    > Favourite quotes: "Observation statements and statements of experimental
    > results are always interpretations of the facts observed." [Karl R. Popper]
    > "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    > [Albert Einstein]

    Thanks for the replies...I also found this, which seems to show the
    chipsets that are "known good". I understand the VESA default idea,
    yes...I may go that route anyway since this box is intended to be a
    household file/web server -- eventually it'll be headless. I just
    wanted to be sure I could install the OS and get it stable.

    Thanks,
    Randy

  5. Re: Is this GPU okay? S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    On Sep 20, 5:13 pm, Randy Brick MacKenna
    wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 5:38 am, Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    >

    > > Randy Brick MacKenna skrev:

    > > > Newbie here again (please have mercy on me)...I'm building a new
    > > > system, which I hoped to use a Biostar KDM800 motherboard in.

    > > > The motherboard has this graphics chip: S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

    > > > One person in a customer review on this board said that "SUSE didn't
    > > > like the graphics chip".

    > > > Is there a way to confirm for sure if openSUSE would work on this
    > > > board, with the integrated graphics chip -- or not?

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Randy

    > > I have been using the unichrome-project for some time. It is embedded in
    > > the default "xorg-x11-driver-video" package. And you can find further
    > > information using the command 'man via'. And also at the development site:http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

    > > --
    > > Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    > > Favourite quotes: "Observation statements and statements of experimental
    > > results are always interpretations of the facts observed." [Karl R. Popper]
    > > "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    > > [Albert Einstein]

    > Thanks for the replies...I also found this, which seems to show the
    > chipsets that are "known good". I understand the VESA default idea,
    > yes...I may go that route anyway since this box is intended to be a
    > household file/web server -- eventually it'll be headless. I just
    > wanted to be sure I could install the OS and get it stable.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Randy

    Would have helped if I pasted the link:

    http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/Drive...t=VideoDrivers