Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3] - Suse

This is a discussion on Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3] - Suse ; NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing documents, spreadsheets and presentations. ...

  1. Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next
    wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM
    Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing
    documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
    http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l...hony/home.jspa

    Note that when you click on download, "A new window will open for
    you to register and sign in before downloading Lotus Symphony."

    ---------

    Supported Linux platforms: SLED 10, RHEL 5, Redhat5

    But installed and and runs fine on OpenSuSE 10.3 (64 bit dual core
    Athlon/4GB RAM).

    Heavily reliant on Java (a jre run time is bundled) and the Eclipse
    framework.

    FAQ at
    http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/
    product_faqs_normandy.jspa

    gives info on
    "How is Lotus Symphony different?
    Can Lotus Symphony handle my existing files?
    Which file formats do the IBM® Lotus Symphony support?
    What are the client system requirements?
    Why is IBM releasing stand alone Lotus Symphony?
    What are the benefits of ODF?
    Will all Microsoft® Office documents convert exactly?
    Do I need any other licenses to use these with my Office documents or to
    create a PDF?
    Can I use macros?
    Can I open a document encrypted by Microsoft Office in Lotus Symphony?
    How do I manage templates?
    Are the IBM Lotus Symphony tools different from the embedded productivity
    tools delivered in IBM Lotus Notes v. 8?"

    Which file formats do Lotus Symphony support?

    Lotus Symphony can save documents, spreadsheets and presentations in a
    variety of file formats. In addition, Lotus Symphony can also convert
    documents, spreadsheets, and presentations types into Adobe® Portable
    Document Format (PDF) files.

    Note: The following file formats are supported by the three IBM Lotus
    Symphony applications. OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of
    Structured Information Standards) specifies the ODF (Open Document
    Format) file standards:

    Lotus Symphony Documents supports .doc (Microsoft), .dot (Microsoft
    template), .odt (ODF), .ott (ODF template), .sxw (IBM Lotus Symphony
    native format), .stw (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .lwp
    (IBM Lotus SmartSuite®), .mwp (IBM Lotus SmartSuite template), .rtf,
    and .txt formats

    Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets supports .xls (Microsoft), .xlt (Microsoft
    template), .ods (ODF), .ots (ODF template), .sxc (IBM Lotus Symphony
    native format), .stc (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .123
    (IBM Lotus Smartsuite), .12m (IBM Lotus Smartsuite template), .xml,
    and .csv formats

    Lotus Symphony Presentations supports .ppt (Microsoft), .pot (Microsoft
    template), .odp (ODF), .otp (ODF template), .prz (IBM Lotus
    Smartsuite), .mas (IBM Lotus Smartsuite look template), .smc (IBM Lotus
    Smartsuite content template), .sxi (IBM Lotus Symphony native format),
    and .sti (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template)

    Regards
    Gordon

  2. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Gordon Darling wrote:
    > NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next
    > wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM
    > Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing
    > documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

    Lotus Symphony? Isn't that the name of the product that Lotus tried to
    introduce >20 years ago straight after Lotus 1-2-3, but it didn't do
    very well?[1]

    I think I would have chosen a different name!!

    [1] Accidental Empires by Robert X. Cringely, page 157.

  3. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    class_a wrote:

    > Gordon Darling wrote:
    >> NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next
    >> wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM
    >> Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing
    >> documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

    > Lotus Symphony? Isn't that the name of the product that Lotus tried to
    > introduce >20 years ago straight after Lotus 1-2-3, but it didn't do
    > very well?[1]
    >
    > I think I would have chosen a different name!!
    >

    > [1] Accidental Empires by Robert X. Cringely, page 157.

    Well you may want to wait as the site is presently swamped. Downloading
    stalls. Some 'FREE' software can cost a lot of time !

  4. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Gordon Darling wrote:

> [...]
    > native format), .stw (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .lwp
    > (IBM Lotus SmartSuite®), .mwp (IBM Lotus SmartSuite template), .rtf,
    > and .txt formats
    >
    > Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets supports .xls (Microsoft), .xlt (Microsoft
    > template), .ods (ODF), .ots (ODF template), .sxc (IBM Lotus Symphony
    > native format), .stc (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .123
    > (IBM Lotus Smartsuite), .12m (IBM Lotus Smartsuite template), .xml,
    > and .csv formats
    >
    > Lotus Symphony Presentations supports .ppt (Microsoft), .pot (Microsoft
    > template), .odp (ODF), .otp (ODF template), .prz (IBM Lotus
    > Smartsuite), .mas (IBM Lotus Smartsuite look template), .smc (IBM Lotus
    > Smartsuite content template), .sxi (IBM Lotus Symphony native format),
    > and .sti (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template)

    and this is different from OpenOffice how? \
    --
    Suse 10.1 x64, Kde 3.5.5, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  5. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    In message , Bill P writes
    >Gordon Darling wrote:
    >
    >> NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next
    >> wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM
    >> Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing
    >> documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
    >> http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l...hony/home.jspa
    >>

    >and this is different from OpenOffice how? \

    Perhaps it will have a better interpretation of MS Word docs than Open
    Office? Open Office is good - and having used Lotus SmartSuite from day
    1 (and the older version for longer) as well as Open Office under
    Windows, neither gives a perfect layout interpretation of Word documents
    so an alternative is worth while.

    I look forward to giving it a try alongside OO with SUSE

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  6. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:

    > In message , Bill P writes
    >>Gordon Darling wrote:
    >>
    >>> NEW YORK, September 18, 2007 - As part of its investment in the next
    >>> wave of collaboration technology, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released IBM
    >>> Lotus Symphony, a suite of free software tools for creating and sharing
    >>> documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
    >>> http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l...hony/home.jspa
    >>>

    >>and this is different from OpenOffice how? \

    > Perhaps it will have a better interpretation of MS Word docs than Open
    > Office? Open Office is good - and having used Lotus SmartSuite from day
    > 1 (and the older version for longer) as well as Open Office under
    > Windows, neither gives a perfect layout interpretation of Word documents
    > so an alternative is worth while.
    >
    > I look forward to giving it a try alongside OO with SUSE

    I'm going to give it a try. I do think it's worth noting that IBM recently
    announced that they will be providing several full time employees to
    enhancing the OpenOffice suite through membership/contribution to
    OpenOffice.org. So, depending on your needs you can use either OpenOffice
    and/or Symphony. I can only assume that this will benefit both application
    suites. Time will tell.

  7. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Bill P wrote:

> [...]
    >> (IBM Lotus SmartSuite®), .mwp (IBM Lotus SmartSuite template), .rtf,
    >> and .txt formats
    >>
    >> Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets supports .xls (Microsoft), .xlt (Microsoft
    >> template), .ods (ODF), .ots (ODF template), .sxc (IBM Lotus Symphony
    >> native format), .stc (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .123
    >> (IBM Lotus Smartsuite), .12m (IBM Lotus Smartsuite template), .xml,
    >> and .csv formats
    >>
    >> Lotus Symphony Presentations supports .ppt (Microsoft), .pot (Microsoft
    >> template), .odp (ODF), .otp (ODF template), .prz (IBM Lotus
    >> Smartsuite), .mas (IBM Lotus Smartsuite look template), .smc (IBM Lotus
    >> Smartsuite content template), .sxi (IBM Lotus Symphony native format),
    >> and .sti (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template)
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Gordon

    > and this is different from OpenOffice how? \

    the screenshots show tabs! in OO the tabs extension doesn't work for me
    --
    Suse 10.1 x64, Kde 3.5.5, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  8. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Gordon Darling wrote:

> [...]
    > native format), .stw (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .lwp
    > (IBM Lotus SmartSuite®), .mwp (IBM Lotus SmartSuite template), .rtf,
    > and .txt formats
    >
    > Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets supports .xls (Microsoft), .xlt (Microsoft
    > template), .ods (ODF), .ots (ODF template), .sxc (IBM Lotus Symphony
    > native format), .stc (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template), .123
    > (IBM Lotus Smartsuite), .12m (IBM Lotus Smartsuite template), .xml,
    > and .csv formats
    >
    > Lotus Symphony Presentations supports .ppt (Microsoft), .pot (Microsoft
    > template), .odp (ODF), .otp (ODF template), .prz (IBM Lotus
    > Smartsuite), .mas (IBM Lotus Smartsuite look template), .smc (IBM Lotus
    > Smartsuite content template), .sxi (IBM Lotus Symphony native format),
    > and .sti (IBM Lotus Symphony native format template)

    Downloaded it, installed it, started it....

    Exceptions up the yin/yang !! java this, java that. As this program comes
    with a bundled java this seems to be....unacceptable. Removed manually as
    there seems to be no script to remove it.

    Maybe I'll wait until someone else gets it to work on 10.2.

  9. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Bill P skrev:
    > and this is different from OpenOffice how? \

    Well... Take a look at the requirements

    It requires 1GM RAM whereas OpenOffice only requires 128 MB

    I hope they will optimize their product a bit more before releasing a
    final edition...

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Favourite quotes: "Observation statements and statements of experimental

  10. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    Jacob Tranholm skrev:
    > It requires 1GM RAM whereas OpenOffice only requires 128 MB

    Sorry, I meant of course 1GB...

  11. Re: Lotus Symphony Beta [Runs OK on OpenSuSE 10.3]

    ---------------------------------snip-------------------------------
    >> and this is different from OpenOffice how? \

    > the screenshots show tabs! in OO the tabs extension doesn't work for me

    How did you install this extension ? I just updated to OO-2.3 from the web
    site (openoffice.org). Dowloaded the extension and installed it with the
    Extension Manager. It worked o.k...

    P.S. The 2.3 version from the repository (unstable branch) is not
    complete !! But the download version is. Also, I tried to use the ./setup
    script in the top level directory of the uncompressed download and it
    stalled. So I just used the rpm command to install all the rpm's including
    the suse-menus rpm from the desktop-integration sub-folder.