DVD+R appears to be blank? - Suse

This is a discussion on DVD+R appears to be blank? - Suse ; Hello, I have a couple of DVD+R disks that openSUSE 10.2 says are blank. You can see the burn line, which is near the edge of the disk. So, I assume the disk is pretty much full. I'm not entirely ...

  1. DVD+R appears to be blank?

    Hello,

    I have a couple of DVD+R disks that openSUSE 10.2 says are blank. You can
    see the burn line, which is near the edge of the disk. So, I assume the
    disk is pretty much full.

    I'm not entirely sure how the disks were burnt. But the disks do have soccer
    (football) matches on them. I'm assuming the they are in mpeg2 format. But
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are DVD recordings.

    I have tried several computers (all with openSUSE 10.2) and each time, they
    show up as blank. The computers either have a DVD drive, CD+RW/DVD drive,
    and a DVD+-RW drive.

    I don't have any experience burning DVDs as I haven't had a need for it
    myself. Anyone know why these DVD+R disks would show up as blank?

    Thanks.
    --
    Chris

  2. Re: DVD+R appears to be blank?

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a couple of DVD+R disks that openSUSE 10.2 says are blank. You can
    > see the burn line, which is near the edge of the disk. So, I assume the
    > disk is pretty much full.
    >
    > I'm not entirely sure how the disks were burnt. But the disks do have
    > soccer (football) matches on them. I'm assuming the they are in mpeg2
    > format. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are DVD recordings.
    >
    > I have tried several computers (all with openSUSE 10.2) and each time,
    > they show up as blank. The computers either have a DVD drive, CD+RW/DVD
    > drive, and a DVD+-RW drive.
    >
    > I don't have any experience burning DVDs as I haven't had a need for it
    > myself. Anyone know why these DVD+R disks would show up as blank?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Wild guess:
    No support for media format that is on disks?

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: DVD+R appears to be blank?

    Rajko M. schreef:

    >> I don't have any experience burning DVDs as I haven't had a need for it
    >> myself. Anyone know why these DVD+R disks would show up as blank?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Wild guess:
    > No support for media format that is on disks?

    I have this happening to me too with some dvd's, even data dvd's.
    Even if there is no support to play some media format, you should still be
    able to see the data.
    Like with a encrypted video dvd.
    Without libdvdcss you can't play the dvd, but you can see the vob files on
    the dvd.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. Re: DVD+R appears to be blank?

    On 2007-09-19 21:05, Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Rajko M. schreef:
    >
    >>> I don't have any experience burning DVDs as I haven't had a need for it
    >>> myself. Anyone know why these DVD+R disks would show up as blank?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Wild guess:
    >> No support for media format that is on disks?

    > I have this happening to me too with some dvd's, even data dvd's.
    > Even if there is no support to play some media format, you should still be
    > able to see the data.
    > Like with a encrypted video dvd.
    > Without libdvdcss you can't play the dvd, but you can see the vob files on
    > the dvd.

    Yes, there exist some DVD-recorders that are using their own format if not
    configured to use DVD format ( I have one ),
    but whatever it is, it should not be blank.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread