Adding a modprobe to the boot configuration - Suse

This is a discussion on Adding a modprobe to the boot configuration - Suse ; Each time I boot and then want to use my gamepad I have to execute the command: sudo /sbin/modprobe joydev I would like to add that command to the booting configuration but I have no idea where to write what. ...

  1. Adding a modprobe to the boot configuration

    Each time I boot and then want to use my gamepad I have to execute the
    command: sudo /sbin/modprobe joydev

    I would like to add that command to the booting configuration but I
    have no idea where to write what. What is the "standard" place to put
    such things in suse?

    (Btw, using Suse 10.2.)

  2. Re: Adding a modprobe to the boot configuration

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > Each time I boot and then want to use my gamepad I have to execute the
    > command: sudo /sbin/modprobe joydev
    >
    > I would like to add that command to the booting configuration but I
    > have no idea where to write what. What is the "standard" place to put
    > such things in suse?
    >
    > (Btw, using Suse 10.2.)

    Yast->System->/etc/sysconfig

    Search for "boot" and find MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT

    Then put "joydev" in the list (without quotes). If you want to add more,
    separate the modules with spaces.

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: Adding a modprobe to the boot configuration

    Chris wrote:

    > Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >
    >> Each time I boot and then want to use my gamepad I have to execute the
    >> command: sudo /sbin/modprobe joydev
    >>
    >> I would like to add that command to the booting configuration but I
    >> have no idea where to write what. What is the "standard" place to put
    >> such things in suse?
    >>
    >> (Btw, using Suse 10.2.)

    > Yast->System->/etc/sysconfig
    >
    > Search for "boot" and find MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
    >
    > Then put "joydev" in the list (without quotes). If you want to add more,
    > separate the modules with spaces.

    That is good place, but it can be safer to try first:
    /etc/init.d/boot.local
    and add
    /sbin/modprobe joydev&
    it will not slowdown boot process.

    The third place is directory
    /etc/modprobe.d
    create file 'joydev' if it is the only name that system knows your joystick.
    It can be empty if you don't have any options to pass.

    And this should be the first to try:
    YaST Control Center -- Hardware -- Joystick
    as it will take care of all perks, where to load, what options to pass, etc.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

+ Reply to Thread