I just loaded some new software and when I log in to my SuSE desktop I get
an xim error that states:
/etc/X11/xim: Checking wether an input method should be started.
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.

That is the last thing in the .xsession-error file. If I log in as root I
get:
/etc/X11/xim: Checking wether an input method should be started.
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.
No profile for user 'root' found
SESSION_MANAGER=local/PILWSLNX1315:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4778

(:4851): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion
`dest_width > 0' failed

(:4851): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion
`dest_width > 0' failed

(:4851): Wnck-CRITICAL **: wnck_screen_get_windows: assertion
`WNCK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(:4851): Wnck-CRITICAL **: wnck_screen_get_active_window: assertion
`WNCK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Initializing nautilus-share extension

(process:4865): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_get_name: assertion
`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
You can not run beagle as root. Beagle is designed to run from your own
user account. If you want to create multiuser or system-wide indexes, use
the beagle-build-index tool.

Plus a whole lot more.

What could be whacking the regular user?