update wipes out wireless - Suse

This is a discussion on update wipes out wireless - Suse ; Last week I ran Yast Update on my Dell E1505 laptop, SuSE 10.1. The update included kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp. The previous kernel was 2.6.16.13-4-smp. On reboot, the new kernel loaded and my Intel 3945 wireless was gone: ERROR: opening /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945: ERROR: ...

  1. update wipes out wireless

    Last week I ran Yast Update on my Dell E1505 laptop, SuSE 10.1.

    The update included kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp.

    The previous kernel was 2.6.16.13-4-smp.

    On reboot, the new kernel loaded and my Intel 3945 wireless was gone:

    ERROR: opening /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945:
    ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    I figured I'd just reboot into the old kernel but to my surprise, the
    /lib/modules files for the odl kernel were gone.

    I didn't think Update took away the old kernel stuff.

    I've Googled for how to install the files needed for the 3945, looked at
    various posts and the Intel site.

    But it's not clear just what I need to do. I can download the Intel
    files and do the make and install, but do I have to recompile the kernel?

    Or is it simply a matter of finding the right files and downloading them
    into the necessary directories?

    Odd thing is that if I recall, the wireless stuff for the 3945 was
    automatically installed when I installed SuSE on the then-new laptop in
    April, 2006.

    John Sandell

  2. Re: update wipes out wireless

    John Sandell wrote:
    >Last week I ran Yast Update on my Dell E1505 laptop, SuSE 10.1.

    >The update included kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp.

    >The previous kernel was 2.6.16.13-4-smp.

    >On reboot, the new kernel loaded and my Intel 3945 wireless was gone:

    >ERROR: opening /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945:
    >ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    >I figured I'd just reboot into the old kernel but to my surprise, the
    >/lib/modules files for the odl kernel were gone.

    >I didn't think Update took away the old kernel stuff.

    >I've Googled for how to install the files needed for the 3945, looked at
    >various posts and the Intel site.

    >But it's not clear just what I need to do. I can download the Intel
    >files and do the make and install, but do I have to recompile the kernel?

    >Or is it simply a matter of finding the right files and downloading them
    >into the necessary directories?

    >Odd thing is that if I recall, the wireless stuff for the 3945 was
    >automatically installed when I installed SuSE on the then-new laptop in
    >April, 2006.

    I'm interested in this too. OpenSUSE 10.2 does NOT install for
    the 3945. Since this is a common chip on laptops (Mine is a
    Lenovo T61) I'm a tad annoyed by it.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: update wipes out wireless

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:31:58 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > John Sandell wrote:
    >>Last week I ran Yast Update on my Dell E1505 laptop, SuSE 10.1.

    >>The update included kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp.

    >>The previous kernel was 2.6.16.13-4-smp.

    >>On reboot, the new kernel loaded and my Intel 3945 wireless was gone:

    >>ERROR: opening /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945:
    >>ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    >>I figured I'd just reboot into the old kernel but to my surprise, the
    >>/lib/modules files for the odl kernel were gone.

    >>I didn't think Update took away the old kernel stuff.

    >>I've Googled for how to install the files needed for the 3945, looked at
    >>various posts and the Intel site.

    >>But it's not clear just what I need to do. I can download the Intel
    >>files and do the make and install, but do I have to recompile the kernel?

    >>Or is it simply a matter of finding the right files and downloading them
    >>into the necessary directories?

    >>Odd thing is that if I recall, the wireless stuff for the 3945 was
    >>automatically installed when I installed SuSE on the then-new laptop in
    >>April, 2006.

    > I'm interested in this too. OpenSUSE 10.2 does NOT install for
    > the 3945. Since this is a common chip on laptops (Mine is a
    > Lenovo T61) I'm a tad annoyed by it.

    I've had a similar problem after updating to kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp.
    This on my evesham laptop running 10.1. A re-install of an earlier kernel
    gets the wireless connection back, but that is hardly ideal.

    Anyone know if this will be fixed soon ?

    Cheers

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread