Flight gear on Open SuSE? - Suse

This is a discussion on Flight gear on Open SuSE? - Suse ; Has anyone gotten flight gear working on Open SuSE?...

  1. Flight gear on Open SuSE?

    Has anyone gotten flight gear working on Open SuSE?

  2. Re: Flight gear on Open SuSE?

    Hi there,

    scott wrote:
    > Has anyone gotten flight gear working on Open SuSE?

    Yes. Its not on the DVD, but available from the online repos
    I believe. The latest version I installed from RPM, but earlier
    versions I'd built from source - I'd try adding an online openSUSE
    respository to your yast install sources, then try installing from
    yast. Failing that you can try from source - the ./configure script
    will likely fail at various stages, but attend to each failure one
    by one and eventually you will get it working.

    It has been a very long time since a point release, but its still
    worth getting working.

    I've done some custom scenery work, so check out the screenshot at
    the following link...its of Christchurch in New Zealand, my old home
    town...

    http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/fgfs.jpg

    The airport terminal, jet paintjob, and modifications to the 737
    are stuff I've worked on, but I would like to see better scenery
    tools as creating such scenery was quite difficult for me. Still
    its fun flying in the sim even though I have not developed any
    more eye-candy for nearly a year now.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

  3. Re: Flight gear on Open SuSE?

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > scott wrote:
    >> Has anyone gotten flight gear working on Open SuSE?

    > Yes. Its not on the DVD, but available from the online repos
    > I believe. The latest version I installed from RPM, but earlier
    > versions I'd built from source - I'd try adding an online openSUSE
    > respository to your yast install sources, then try installing from
    > yast. Failing that you can try from source - the ./configure script
    > will likely fail at various stages, but attend to each failure one
    > by one and eventually you will get it working.
    >
    > It has been a very long time since a point release, but its still
    > worth getting working.
    >
    > I've done some custom scenery work, so check out the screenshot at
    > the following link...its of Christchurch in New Zealand, my old home
    > town...
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/fgfs.jpg
    >
    > The airport terminal, jet paintjob, and modifications to the 737
    > are stuff I've worked on, but I would like to see better scenery
    > tools as creating such scenery was quite difficult for me. Still
    > its fun flying in the sim even though I have not developed any
    > more eye-candy for nearly a year now.

    Thanks! I tried installing from source and found a whole bunch of
    dependencies and it just wasn't worth going through the whole list. But
    if I can install it through Yast there is less risk of screwing up my
    system. Wish it was distributed on the DVD.
    I'll take a look at what you created here soon.

  4. Re: Flight gear on Open SuSE?

    scott wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten flight gear working on Open SuSE?

    I have. Sort of. What version of openSuse? (sluggish) What kind of
    hardware are you using, particularly video card and drivers?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery