Backup program - Suse

This is a discussion on Backup program - Suse ; Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it into some obscure file format ;-) Many thanks...

  1. Backup program

    Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    into some obscure file format ;-)

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Backup program

    Farley wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    > into some obscure file format ;-)
    >
    > Many thanks

    cp? rsync?

  3. Re: Backup program

    Farley wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    > into some obscure file format ;-)
    >
    > Many thanks

    OH and if you can persuade yourself to have an obscure format, you can
    ball everything up with tar and then zip it. Or Kdar is a KDE tool that
    has a slick frontend and can be automated. Personally I use that one.

  4. Re: Backup program

    Farley wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    > into some obscure file format ;-)
    >
    > Many thanks

    Most backups work fine. It's restores that almost never work right.

  5. Re: Backup program

    In article <46ed57a8$0$17107$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
    >Farley wrote:
    >> Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    >> contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    >> into some obscure file format ;-)
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    >Most backups work fine. It's restores that almost never work right.

    The corollary here is that write-only storage is very cheap
    and one can achieve amazing throughput.

  6. Re: Backup program

    In article <5l2shrF64l11U1@mid.individual.net>, Farley wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    > into some obscure file format ;-)
    >
    > Many thanks

    Try rdiff-backup.

    W.

  7. Re: Backup program

    Farley wrote:

    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming
    > it into some obscure file format ;-)

    Why not simply "FISH" in Konqueror?

    Derk

  8. Re: Backup program

    Farley wrote:

    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming
    > it into some obscure file format ;-)

    I have been using this btw. It's great:

    http://wiki.linux-club.de/Make_snapshotLC_sh

    Derk

  9. Re: Backup program

    On 2007-09-15 22:17, Farley wrote:
    > Anyone recommend a basic backup program - just want one that will copy the
    > contents of one drive/folder to another drive on a network with cramming it
    > into some obscure file format ;-)
    >
    > Many thanks

    If the networked filesystem also is linux, then just do
    rsync -avH source dest

    If you have some fat things, you will mess up all permissions if you do that,
    and time problems will make incremental updates difficult.

    Your problem is more that you have so many options, so it can take time to know
    which to use.

    I'm running bacula (bacula.org) and are using external 500G disks , and
    a DLT 7 slots tape exchanger for long time archive,
    but that is maybe overkill for most users.

    Do not underestimate the tools that is included in suse, for example YaST backup
    and many other archivers in kde or gnome.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread