Where to request new function ? - Suse

This is a discussion on Where to request new function ? - Suse ; Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ? I think there should be a way to halt Yast 'Software Management' during the initial loading of online sources. For instance, right now the openSuSE build server ...

  1. Where to request new function ?

    Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ?

    I think there should be a way to halt Yast 'Software Management' during the
    initial loading of online sources. For instance, right now the openSuSE
    build server seems to be temporarily unaccessible. So I think there should
    be a button in the dialog box 'Downloading files' that says 'Quit Now' or
    something similar to abort the process. If, like me, you have many
    installation sources and for some reason you want to halt the
    process 'cleanly' than having to issue the kill command 'may' leave the
    system in an unstable state. Or you may need to stop it for other reasons.
    Clicking the 'Abort' button for failed sources just seems to abort that
    source being loaded and one still must wait for the entire list of sources
    to be scanned..

    Just my 2¢ worth.

  2. Re: Where to request new function ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ?

    The best way is to either just dump it in bugzilla or discuss it in the
    factory mailinglist. http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate and

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  3. Re: Where to request new function ?

    houghi wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ?

    > The best way is to either just dump it in bugzilla or discuss it in the
    > factory mailinglist. http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate and
    >

    > houghi

    Thank you. I thought to ask you directly as I knew you would know this but
    usenet etiquette kept me from doing so. Haven't seen you much lately here.
    Good to know you're still around. You're like a teacher I had once. At
    first I thought she was rather tough (read as 'like an army drill
    instructor!) on everybody but then I realized she was just the best damned
    instructor I'd ever have ! And that was 35 years ago.. She sure had a
    lasting impression !

    Thanks again. Oh, and I'll add this in for posterity.....

    ------snip------------
    ------------double snip--------------

    LOL :-)

    First they curse you
    Then they question you
    Then they respect you
    Then they admire you

  4. Re: Where to request new function ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Thank you. I thought to ask you directly as I knew you would know this but
    > usenet etiquette kept me from doing so. Haven't seen you much lately here.

    Smart move not asking directly. I hate it when people do that. As of not
    being here much, just very busy with all kinds of stuff.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  5. Re: Where to request new function ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ?
    >
    > I think there should be a way to halt Yast 'Software Management' during the
    > initial loading of online sources. For instance, right now the openSuSE
    > build server seems to be temporarily unaccessible. So I think there should
    > be a button in the dialog box 'Downloading files' that says 'Quit Now' or
    > something similar to abort the process. If, like me, you have many
    > installation sources and for some reason you want to halt the
    > process 'cleanly' than having to issue the kill command 'may' leave the
    > system in an unstable state. Or you may need to stop it for other reasons.
    > Clicking the 'Abort' button for failed sources just seems to abort that
    > source being loaded and one still must wait for the entire list of sources
    > to be scanned..
    >
    > Just my 2¢ worth.

    On my box, if Yast finds a repo unresponsive or missing something it
    will wait a bit, then timeout, asking if I wish to skip that repo. That
    should happen on yours as well. There is a detail button on the popup
    that tells exactly what Yast takes exception too.

  6. Re: Where to request new function ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >Where is the proper place to request a new function in Yast ?

    >I think there should be a way to halt Yast 'Software Management' during the
    >initial loading of online sources. For instance, right now the openSuSE
    >build server seems to be temporarily unaccessible. So I think there should
    >be a button in the dialog box 'Downloading files' that says 'Quit Now' or
    >something similar to abort the process. If, like me, you have many
    >installation sources and for some reason you want to halt the
    >process 'cleanly' than having to issue the kill command 'may' leave the
    >system in an unstable state. Or you may need to stop it for other reasons.
    >Clicking the 'Abort' button for failed sources just seems to abort that
    >source being loaded and one still must wait for the entire list of sources
    >to be scanned..

    >Just my 2¢ worth.

    I agree with you.

    --