RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1 - Suse

This is a discussion on RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1 - Suse ; Hi, I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard installation with Gnome Desktop. Installing my software reports an unresolved dependancy to libexpat.so. 0. But there is installed a version of libexpat. Files are as follows: /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.5 ...

  1. RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    Hi,

    I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    installation with Gnome Desktop.

    Installing my software reports an unresolved dependancy to libexpat.so.
    0. But there is installed
    a version of libexpat.

    Files are as follows:

    /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.5
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> libexpat.so.1.5
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5 or the like.

    My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    files:

    /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0

    I have linked the related library using xml2-config --libs and xslt-
    config --libs.

    What should I do ?

    Thanks, Lothar

  2. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    Lothar Behrens wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    > installation with Gnome Desktop.
    >
    > Installing my software reports an unresolved dependancy to libexpat.so.
    > 0. But there is installed
    > a version of libexpat.
    >
    > Files are as follows:
    >
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.5
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> libexpat.so.1.5
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5 or the like.
    >
    > My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    > files:
    >
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
    >
    > I have linked the related library using xml2-config --libs and xslt-
    > config --libs.
    >
    > What should I do ?
    >
    > Thanks, Lothar

    I recall having a similar problem. If I recall correctly I installed an
    older version from source and this solved the problem by providing
    libexpat.so.0. Here's a link to the download:

    Shift + Left Click to download (if I do this right)

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=384561

  3. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    ------------------------------snip--------------------------------------

    > I recall having a similar problem. If I recall correctly I installed an
    > older version from source and this solved the problem by providing
    > libexpat.so.0. Here's a link to the download:
    >
    > Shift + Left Click to download (if I do this right)

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=384561

    Well I didn't !!! ;-(

    Here's a link to the page. Download and install the 2.0.0 tgz file.

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=10127

    Sorry for the bad link...

  4. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    Michael Soibelman schrieb:
    > Lothar Behrens wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    > > installation with Gnome Desktop.
    > >
    > > Installing my software reports an unresolved dependancy to libexpat.so.
    > > 0. But there is installed
    > > a version of libexpat.
    > >
    > > Files are as follows:
    > >
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.5
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> libexpat.so.1.5
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5 or the like.
    > >
    > > My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    > > files:
    > >
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    > > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
    > >
    > > I have linked the related library using xml2-config --libs and xslt-
    > > config --libs.
    > >
    > > What should I do ?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Lothar

    > I recall having a similar problem. If I recall correctly I installed an
    > older version from source and this solved the problem by providing
    > libexpat.so.0. Here's a link to the download:

    Hmm, is it possible to include that file in my binary package as an
    optional package, only installed
    when required.

    Lothar

  5. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    Lothar Behrens wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman schrieb:
    >> Lothar Behrens wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    >> > installation with Gnome Desktop.
    >> >
    >> > Installing my software reports an unresolved dependancy to libexpat.so.
    >> > 0. But there is installed
    >> > a version of libexpat.
    >> >
    >> > Files are as follows:
    >> >
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.1.5
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> libexpat.so.1.5
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5 or the like.
    >> >
    >> > My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    >> > files:
    >> >
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 -> libexpat.so.0.5.0
    >> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
    >> >
    >> > I have linked the related library using xml2-config --libs and xslt-
    >> > config --libs.
    >> >
    >> > What should I do ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Lothar

    >> I recall having a similar problem. If I recall correctly I installed an
    >> older version from source and this solved the problem by providing
    >> libexpat.so.0. Here's a link to the download:
    >>

    > Hmm, is it possible to include that file in my binary package as an
    > optional package, only installed
    > when required.
    >
    > Lothar

    Yes but I'll leave the details of that to someone who is a programmer.
    Obviously you could add a check for the availability of the proper file and
    install an included version as necessary. But then this is just one way to
    do it. Again, I'll leave the details to someone else. A more robust
    solution would be to write your application to use whatever expat library
    is available on the users system but then that may also result in some new
    problem cropping up. Without knowing what your program does one would be
    hard pressed to now the best way.

    Programmers please help.

  6. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Lothar Behrens wrote:-

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    >installation with Gnome Desktop.

    >My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    >files:

    So, what you're hoping/trying to do is install a package that was built
    on a 9.1 system onto a system running 10.1?

    >What should I do ?

    Rebuild the package on the 10.1 system.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  7. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    Michael Soibelman schrieb:
    > Lothar Behrens wrote:
    >

    > > Michael Soibelman schrieb:

    > >> I recall having a similar problem. If I recall correctly I installed an
    > >> older version from source and this solved the problem by providing
    > >> libexpat.so.0. Here's a link to the download:
    > >>

    > > Hmm, is it possible to include that file in my binary package as an
    > > optional package, only installed
    > > when required.
    > >
    > > Lothar

    > Yes but I'll leave the details of that to someone who is a programmer.
    > Obviously you could add a check for the availability of the proper file and
    > install an included version as necessary. But then this is just one way to
    > do it. Again, I'll leave the details to someone else. A more robust
    > solution would be to write your application to use whatever expat library
    > is available on the users system but then that may also result in some new
    > problem cropping up. Without knowing what your program does one would be
    > hard pressed to now the best way.

    I am the programmer of this software.
    Distributing binary packages seems really a pain :-(
    Ok, I will ask in a programmers group.

    Thanks, Lothar

    > Programmers please help.

  8. Re: RPM dependancy problem on OSS 10.1

    David Bolt schrieb:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Lothar Behrens wrote:-
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have setup a testsystem with openSuSE 10.1 having standard
    > >installation with Gnome Desktop.

    > >My software was built and packaged on a SuSE Linux 9.1 with these
    > >files:

    > So, what you're hoping/trying to do is install a package that was built
    > on a 9.1 system onto a system running 10.1?
    >
    > >What should I do ?

    > Rebuild the package on the 10.1 system.

    Yes, now I realized the problem. But then I couldn't provide a more
    universal
    binary RPM release. Also I am unable to provide all the possible
    binary packages.

    Ok, binary packages may not the usual way except, the Linux
    distributors do create
    them. Right ?

    The other solution may be searching for packagers on sourceforge.net.
    They then also
    would test the created packages.

    Thanks, Lothar

+ Reply to Thread