IBM Thinkpad T40 with the Atheros WiFi chipset.

linux-oh5w:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586)
VERSION = 10.1
linux-oh5w:~ # uname -r
2.6.16.13-4-default

I downloaded madwifi-0.9.0.tar.gz from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=85233

I used the older version of madwifi because my homework indicated that
later versions wouldn't work with my relatively early SuSE version.

I've had the laptop for over a year and struggled several times to get the
on-board WiFi to work without success (Linux runs here in spite of my
efforts, not because of them). This time I got it to work but it won't
start automatically. It will only appear if I first go to YaST > Network
Devices > Network Card. "User Controlled with Network Manager" is
checked. When I go to the next screen "Network Card Configuration
Overview" the wireless wakes up, the WiFi LED blinks and valid WiFi
transmitters appear on the pull-up network menu from the bottom toolbar
(Wireless is not an option before this point). I need do nothing else in
YaST, I can abort and continue using WiFi until I shutdown. On the next
power-up I'll have to tickle it with YaST again to make it work.

Here I'm out of my depth. I don't know if this is a configuration error
on my part, a permission issue or something else. What should I do to
avoid this odd little work-around?

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."