Remote Desktop - Suse

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop - Suse ; I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following message. Network Error: remote side closed connection openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2 ...

  1. Remote Desktop

    I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    message.

    Network Error: remote side closed connection

    openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2

    Any help would be great

  2. Re: Remote Desktop

    Who Cares wrote:
    > I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    > logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    > message.
    >
    > Network Error: remote side closed connection
    >
    > openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2
    >
    > Any help would be great

    Uh, well, it could be because windows is in the picture somewhere. It
    doesn't cooperate with other OS's very well.

  3. Re: Remote Desktop

    Who Cares wrote:
    > I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    > logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    > message.

    How did you enable it? I mean, in Windows, it's not just a simple
    enabling... users have to be allowed permission for remote login on
    the Windows server.

    > Network Error: remote side closed connection
    >
    > openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2
    >
    > Any help would be great

  4. Re: Remote Desktop

    On Sep 13, 7:16 pm, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Who Cares wrote:
    > > I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    > > logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    > > message.

    > How did you enable it? I mean, in Windows, it's not just a simple
    > enabling... users have to be allowed permission for remote login on
    > the Windows server.
    >

    > > Network Error: remote side closed connection

    > > openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2

    > > Any help would be great

    I am using a Windows 2000 Pro box from work to connect to my home 10.2
    box.I am connecting just fine, it is once I enter a user-is and
    password I get the error.

  5. Re: Remote Desktop

    Who Cares wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 7:16 pm, Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Who Cares wrote:
    >>> I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    >>> logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    >>> message.

    >> How did you enable it? I mean, in Windows, it's not just a simple
    >> enabling... users have to be allowed permission for remote login on
    >> the Windows server.
    >>

    >>> Network Error: remote side closed connection
    >>> openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2
    >>> Any help would be great

    > I am using a Windows 2000 Pro box from work to connect to my home 10.2
    > box.I am connecting just fine, it is once I enter a user-is and
    > password I get the error.

    Ok.. I guess I have it backwards. So you are trying to use
    Windows remote desktop to go into your openSUSE box? I didn't know
    that was possible. However, I do know that you can enable
    VNC via KDE's Desktop Sharing. Is that what you did? Then you
    can use a VNC client from Windows to log into your openSUSE box.

    Am I on the right track?

    If so... did you select:

    Allow uninvited connections?
    Allow uninvited connections to control the desktop?

  6. Re: Remote Desktop

    I actually enabled VNC in SAX if that is any help.. (ie the Linux X
    server setup) It didn't however work if I left it with a null/no password

    Works fine for me in both directions! Even the W2003 box at work from
    SuSE at home.

    Bob

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Allow uninvited connections?
    > Allow uninvited connections to control the desktop?

  7. Re: Remote Desktop

    Who Cares wrote:
    > I have remote desktop enabled..... from a Windoze 2000 box, I get the
    > logon prompt just fine, as soon as I try to logon I get the following
    > message.
    >
    > Network Error: remote side closed connection
    >
    > openSUSE 102. KDE 3.5.7 74.2
    >
    > Any help would be great

    I would recommend FreeNX.

    Install the FreeNX server on your Suse box with YaST and the windows
    client from NoMachine.

    Absolutely the best solution to connect from windows box to Linux.

    I have made some instructions:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/English...FreeNX.en.html

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

+ Reply to Thread