fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300 - Suse

This is a discussion on fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300 - Suse ; Hello all, I have just installed the fglrx 8.41.7 on my openSUSE 10.2 with kernel 2.6.22-5-259 kernel and I have to say that it's amazing! Despite the fact that this version is classified as beta for my card, I see ...

  1. fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300

    Hello all,

    I have just installed the fglrx 8.41.7 on my openSUSE 10.2 with kernel
    2.6.22-5-259 kernel and I have to say that it's amazing! Despite the fact
    that this version is classified as beta for my card, I see significant
    improvements. For example, for the 8.40 driver, fgl_glxgears was giving me
    746 fps. Now, with the 8.41 driver, I'm getting 1050 fps!

    I haven't tried Tremulous or Doom 3 yet as I only had enough time to do a
    quick test before heading out this morning.

    Has anyone else noticed a speed increase?

    To try out the card, you need to pick the HD video cards on ati.and.com.

    Between this improved driver and AMD releasing the specs, I think the AMD
    take over of ATI may just turn out to be a "good thing".

    Have a good day,

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300

    Chris wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have just installed the fglrx 8.41.7 on my openSUSE 10.2 with kernel
    > 2.6.22-5-259 kernel and I have to say that it's amazing! Despite the fact
    > that this version is classified as beta for my card, I see significant
    > improvements. For example, for the 8.40 driver, fgl_glxgears was giving me
    > 746 fps. Now, with the 8.41 driver, I'm getting 1050 fps!
    >
    > I haven't tried Tremulous or Doom 3 yet as I only had enough time to do a
    > quick test before heading out this morning.
    >
    > Has anyone else noticed a speed increase?
    >
    > To try out the card, you need to pick the HD video cards on ati.and.com.
    >
    > Between this improved driver and AMD releasing the specs, I think the AMD
    > take over of ATI may just turn out to be a "good thing".
    >
    > Have a good day,

    Well, it's good news indeed. I bailed out to Nvidia before ATI got it's
    act together, but now at least I have choices. Hey Linux people, the
    world is going our way!

  3. Re: fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I have just installed the fglrx 8.41.7 on my openSUSE 10.2 with kernel
    >> 2.6.22-5-259 kernel and I have to say that it's amazing! Despite the fact
    >> that this version is classified as beta for my card, I see significant
    >> improvements. For example, for the 8.40 driver, fgl_glxgears was giving me
    >> 746 fps. Now, with the 8.41 driver, I'm getting 1050 fps!
    >>
    >> I haven't tried Tremulous or Doom 3 yet as I only had enough time to do a
    >> quick test before heading out this morning.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else noticed a speed increase?
    >>
    >> To try out the card, you need to pick the HD video cards on ati.and.com.
    >>
    >> Between this improved driver and AMD releasing the specs, I think the AMD
    >> take over of ATI may just turn out to be a "good thing".
    >>
    >> Have a good day,
    >>

    > Well, it's good news indeed. I bailed out to Nvidia before ATI got it's
    > act together, but now at least I have choices. Hey Linux people, the
    > world is going our way!

    Actually you don't have a choice YET (you'll see what I mean in a
    minute). The new fglrx is just as proprietary as it ever was. So
    there's really no "freedom" difference
    between ATI and Nvidia... yet. With the release of the specs from ATI
    however, and with the help of the SUSE engineers, we should eventually
    have some really free drivers... and then it will be up to Nvidia to
    see if they want to answer back, or if they want to lose a significant
    vocal marketshare to AMD/ATI.

    I agree, it's good news. But I'll wait to celebrate until something
    real (that is.. truly free) is produced. I wonder if AMD/ATI will get
    involved with xorg development? Right now Intel is owning that house
    and is trying to make it hazardous for ATI and Nvidia.

  4. Re: fglrx 8.41.7 with X1300

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> I have just installed the fglrx 8.41.7 on my openSUSE 10.2 with kernel
    >>> 2.6.22-5-259 kernel and I have to say that it's amazing! Despite the fact
    >>> that this version is classified as beta for my card, I see significant
    >>> improvements. For example, for the 8.40 driver, fgl_glxgears was giving me
    >>> 746 fps. Now, with the 8.41 driver, I'm getting 1050 fps!
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried Tremulous or Doom 3 yet as I only had enough time to do a
    >>> quick test before heading out this morning.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else noticed a speed increase?
    >>>
    >>> To try out the card, you need to pick the HD video cards on ati.and.com.
    >>>
    >>> Between this improved driver and AMD releasing the specs, I think the AMD
    >>> take over of ATI may just turn out to be a "good thing".
    >>>
    >>> Have a good day,
    >>>

    >> Well, it's good news indeed. I bailed out to Nvidia before ATI got it's
    >> act together, but now at least I have choices. Hey Linux people, the
    >> world is going our way!

    > Actually you don't have a choice YET (you'll see what I mean in a
    > minute). The new fglrx is just as proprietary as it ever was. So
    > there's really no "freedom" difference
    > between ATI and Nvidia... yet. With the release of the specs from ATI
    > however, and with the help of the SUSE engineers, we should eventually
    > have some really free drivers... and then it will be up to Nvidia to
    > see if they want to answer back, or if they want to lose a significant
    > vocal marketshare to AMD/ATI.
    >
    > I agree, it's good news. But I'll wait to celebrate until something
    > real (that is.. truly free) is produced. I wonder if AMD/ATI will get
    > involved with xorg development? Right now Intel is owning that house
    > and is trying to make it hazardous for ATI and Nvidia.

    Well, free speech is yet lacking...so serve me up a round of that free
    beer!

+ Reply to Thread