hdparm opensuse 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on hdparm opensuse 10.2 - Suse ; Hi, I wanted to rip a CD and for that i wanted to put my /dev/cdrom in dma mode, i used to do this (under earlier versions) like: # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom but with open suse 10.2 i got following: ...

  1. hdparm opensuse 10.2

    Hi,

    I wanted to rip a CD and for that i wanted to put my /dev/cdrom in dma mode,
    i used to do this (under earlier versions) like: # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    but with open suse 10.2 i got following:
    desktop-reg:/home/reg # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Function not implemented
    desktop-reg:/home/reg #

    I'm not sure how to go from here, may anyone help me? The DMA Mode option in
    Yast wouldn't show-up any drives at all confusing...

    Thanks!
    --
    chEErs roN

  2. Re: hdparm opensuse 10.2

    Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to rip a CD and for that i wanted to put my /dev/cdrom in dma
    > mode,
    > i used to do this (under earlier versions) like: # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    > but with open suse 10.2 i got following:
    > desktop-reg:/home/reg # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    >
    > /dev/cdrom:
    > HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Function not implemented
    > desktop-reg:/home/reg #
    >

    > I'm not sure how to go from here, may anyone help me? The DMA Mode option
    > in Yast wouldn't show-up any drives at all confusing...
    >
    > Thanks!

    openSUSE 10.2
    kernel 2.6.18.8-0.5-default
    hdparm v6.9
    merlin:~ # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    /dev/cdrom:
    Model=HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B, FwRev=DG01, SerialNo=XXXXXXXXXXXX

    * signifies the current active mode

    The -i (info), and many other parameters, depend on a kernel driver.
    So it works here.
    *****************************
    To see what dma mode is set:
    merlin:~ # hdparm -d /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    *****************************
    To reset dma mode:
    merlin:~ # hdparm -d0 /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    setting using_dma to 0 (off)
    using_dma = 0 (off)
    *****************************
    To set dma again:
    merlin:~ # hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    *****************************
    To learn more:
    merlin:~ # man hdparm

    or, in Konqueror, type in Location (where usually goes URL of web page):
    man:hdparm

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: hdparm opensuse 10.2

    Ron Eggler wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to rip a CD and for that i wanted to put my /dev/cdrom in dma mode,
    > i used to do this (under earlier versions) like: # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    > but with open suse 10.2 i got following:
    > desktop-reg:/home/reg # hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
    >
    > /dev/cdrom:
    > HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Function not implemented
    > desktop-reg:/home/reg #
    >

    > I'm not sure how to go from here, may anyone help me? The DMA Mode option in
    > Yast wouldn't show-up any drives at all confusing...
    >
    > Thanks!

    Usually indicates that only the ide-generic module is being used in
    which case you'll only have PIO mode to the device and no dma.

    Give us:
    lsmod | grep ide

    Need to know what chipset or at least what motherboard is being
    used in order to know for sure... if it's the case that only
    ide-generic is getting loaded and used.

+ Reply to Thread