Sorry - mime type warning - Suse

This is a discussion on Sorry - mime type warning - Suse ; Yesterday, I attempted to add a new mime type (divx) to be read from Opera and/or Konqueror. I managed to get it listed under Preferences/Advanced/Downloads as mime type:application/octet-stream with a file extension of divx. I was able to download some ...

  1. Sorry - mime type warning

    Yesterday, I attempted to add a new mime type (divx) to be read from
    Opera and/or Konqueror. I managed to get it listed under
    Preferences/Advanced/Downloads as mime type:application/octet-stream
    with a file extension of divx.

    I was able to download some files that were in that divx format.
    However, today, when I booted into my KDE desktop, I receive
    multiple warning boxes "Sorry-Kdesktop" and "Sorry KDE Panel"
    The boxes all contain the same message:

    Could not find mime type
    application/octet stream

    If I enter Konqueror, I receive the same warning message.
    It keeps popping up all over the place.

    I tried an automatic repair from the original OpenSUSE DVD,
    and it did not help.

    How can I get rid of this major annoyance?

    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Sorry - mime type warning

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I attempted to add a new mime type (divx) to be read from
    > Opera and/or Konqueror. I managed to get it listed under
    > Preferences/Advanced/Downloads as mime type:application/octet-stream
    > with a file extension of divx.
    >
    > I was able to download some files that were in that divx format.
    > However, today, when I booted into my KDE desktop, I receive
    > multiple warning boxes "Sorry-Kdesktop" and "Sorry KDE Panel"
    > The boxes all contain the same message:
    >
    > Could not find mime type
    > application/octet stream
    >
    > If I enter Konqueror, I receive the same warning message.
    > It keeps popping up all over the place.
    >
    > I tried an automatic repair from the original OpenSUSE DVD,
    > and it did not help.
    >
    > How can I get rid of this major annoyance?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    Under Konqueror the file association default for divx is listed under video.
    There are two defaults, divx which has no Application Preference Order
    entry and a description of 'Netscape DivX® Web Player'. On
    the 'Embedding' tab the 'Service Preference Order' lists 'Netscape DivX®
    Web Player'. The other default for divx is 'vnd.divx'. The Description
    is 'Netscape DivX Browser Plug-In' and the 'Application Preference Order'
    lists 'Totem'. The Embedding tab shows 'Netscape DivX Browser Plug-In'
    under 'Service Preference Order'.

    Hope that helps.

    P.S. Something similar is probably what you want for Firefox as well though
    I haven't looked there yet.

    P.S. 'Continued'. This is how I added this to Firefox Unstable (Minefield)
    though it should also work for Firefox2. Click on a divx link in Firefiox
    (here's an example page with divx movies:
    http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/styleik/ )

    Next, in the dialog that pops up choose 'open with' and select 'other'
    (seems the default 'Totem' is not configured correctly or else I have a
    version that's not working) and navigate to a player that does work. On my
    system I find that mplayer, kmplayer, kaboodle, and a few others do work.
    Since you are using Firefox here you might want to navigate to MPlayer
    which is installed by default under /usr/bin/mplayer. After setting this
    as the default check the box to 'use this as the default for this type of
    file' and next time you download a divx movie this should just work.

    Hope this helps. You may want to remove the original file assoiciation you
    made before doing this and in fact I would suggest doing so as it seems the
    prudent thing to do to remove the errors you reported.

    Let us know if this works.

  3. Re: Sorry - mime type warning

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday, I attempted to add a new mime type (divx) to be read from
    >> Opera and/or Konqueror. I managed to get it listed under
    >> Preferences/Advanced/Downloads as mime type:application/octet-stream
    >> with a file extension of divx.
    >>
    >> I was able to download some files that were in that divx format.
    >> However, today, when I booted into my KDE desktop, I receive
    >> multiple warning boxes "Sorry-Kdesktop" and "Sorry KDE Panel"
    >> The boxes all contain the same message:
    >>
    >> Could not find mime type
    >> application/octet stream
    >>
    >> If I enter Konqueror, I receive the same warning message.
    >> It keeps popping up all over the place.
    >>
    >> I tried an automatic repair from the original OpenSUSE DVD,
    >> and it did not help.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of this major annoyance?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > Under Konqueror the file association default for divx is listed under
    > video. There are two defaults, divx which has no Application Preference
    > Order
    > entry and a description of 'Netscape DivX® Web Player'. On
    > the 'Embedding' tab the 'Service Preference Order' lists 'Netscape DivX®
    > Web Player'. The other default for divx is 'vnd.divx'. The Description
    > is 'Netscape DivX Browser Plug-In' and the 'Application Preference Order'
    > lists 'Totem'. The Embedding tab shows 'Netscape DivX Browser Plug-In'
    > under 'Service Preference Order'.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > P.S. Something similar is probably what you want for Firefox as well
    > though I haven't looked there yet.
    >
    > P.S. 'Continued'. This is how I added this to Firefox Unstable
    > (Minefield)
    > though it should also work for Firefox2. Click on a divx link in Firefiox
    > (here's an example page with divx movies:
    > http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/styleik/ )
    >
    > Next, in the dialog that pops up choose 'open with' and select 'other'
    > (seems the default 'Totem' is not configured correctly or else I have a
    > version that's not working) and navigate to a player that does work. On
    > my system I find that mplayer, kmplayer, kaboodle, and a few others do
    > work. Since you are using Firefox here you might want to navigate to
    > MPlayer
    > which is installed by default under /usr/bin/mplayer. After setting this
    > as the default check the box to 'use this as the default for this type of
    > file' and next time you download a divx movie this should just work.
    >
    > Hope this helps. You may want to remove the original file assoiciation
    > you made before doing this and in fact I would suggest doing so as it
    > seems the prudent thing to do to remove the errors you reported.
    >
    > Let us know if this works.

    There I go again. You said Opera and I referred to Firefox & Konqueror.
    I'm doing this with Opera as I type. O.K. Just opened Opera. Loaded the
    page I previously mentioned. Clicked the link to a divx movie on that page
    and I just get a black page. Hum..let's see. Oh, I see. I right clicked
    on it and said open in new page. I got a little text pop up that
    said 'click to activate this 'somethin or rather..didn't pay too much
    attenttion.. Then I noticed that my knemo monitor was lit up and I
    probably just needed to wait until the movie downloaded. Not sure if I
    needed to click on any 'control' or not... Now I'll look at the default
    mime type association. Let's see. Under preferences..advanced...I see
    that the 'first' plugin for DivX is a link to MPlayer....
    Under 'Downloads' the mime type for 'video/divx' shows file
    extension 'divx'. Hitting the Edit button after highlighting this brings
    up a Dialog. At the bottom of this dialog the is a radio button that is
    checked which is titled' 'Use Plug-in'. Hitting the drop down menu under
    this shows two Plug-ins. The first is a link to the previously mentioned
    Mplayer and the one below that is to Totem.

    When I try to launch Totem from a terminal I get error messages. This may
    be due to Totem using Gstreamer and as I have the unstable Gnome Repository
    in my installation sources in Yast this is, no doubt why this (Totem) isn't
    working. Try to see if Totem works on your system as well. Perhaps you
    have the same problem. Maybe you want to remove that file association to
    Totem or the Totem plugin if it is causing you problems... or at least
    click on the MPlayer plugin in the drop down menu to change the oreder of
    preference...

  4. Re: Sorry - mime type warning

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday, I attempted to add a new mime type (divx) to be read
    >> from Opera and/or Konqueror. I managed to get it listed under
    >> Preferences/Advanced/Downloads as mime
    >> type:application/octet-stream with a file extension of divx.
    >>
    >> I was able to download some files that were in that divx format.
    >> However, today, when I booted into my KDE desktop, I receive
    >> multiple warning boxes "Sorry-Kdesktop" and "Sorry KDE Panel"
    >> The boxes all contain the same message:
    >>
    >> Could not find mime type
    >> application/octet stream
    >>
    >> If I enter Konqueror, I receive the same warning message.
    >> It keeps popping up all over the place.
    >>
    >> I tried an automatic repair from the original OpenSUSE DVD,
    >> and it did not help.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of this major annoyance?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > Under Konqueror the file association default for divx is listed
    > under video. There are two defaults, divx which has no Application
    > Preference Order
    > entry and a description of 'Netscape DivX® Web Player'. On
    > the 'Embedding' tab the 'Service Preference Order' lists 'Netscape
    > DivX®
    > Web Player'. The other default for divx is 'vnd.divx'. The
    > Description is 'Netscape DivX Browser Plug-In' and the 'Application
    > Preference Order'
    > lists 'Totem'. The Embedding tab shows 'Netscape DivX Browser
    > Plug-In' under 'Service Preference Order'.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > P.S. Something similar is probably what you want for Firefox as
    > well though I haven't looked there yet.
    >
    > P.S. 'Continued'. This is how I added this to Firefox Unstable
    > (Minefield)
    > though it should also work for Firefox2. Click on a divx link in
    > Firefiox (here's an example page with divx movies:
    > http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/styleik/ )
    >
    > Next, in the dialog that pops up choose 'open with' and select
    > 'other' (seems the default 'Totem' is not configured correctly or
    > else I have a
    > version that's not working) and navigate to a player that does work.
    > On my system I find that mplayer, kmplayer, kaboodle, and a few
    > others do work. Since you are using Firefox here you might want to
    > navigate to MPlayer
    > which is installed by default under /usr/bin/mplayer. After setting
    > this as the default check the box to 'use this as the default for
    > this type of file' and next time you download a divx movie this
    > should just work.
    >
    > Hope this helps. You may want to remove the original file
    > assoiciation you made before doing this and in fact I would suggest
    > doing so as it seems the prudent thing to do to remove the errors
    > you reported.
    >
    > Let us know if this works.

    Thank you for your prompt reply to my query.
    However, opening Konqueror shows NO defaults at all for divx.
    Also, in Opera I had already attempted to delete the file association
    for divx that I had added, and the [delete] radio button does not
    function at all???
    The [edit] button does bring up the page which lists the MIME type
    (which is grayed out) and only highlights the File extensions,
    which do allow me to change or remove "divx," but
    not "application/octet-stream"
    Activating "Use Plug in" only has blank in the drop down menu.

    Godzilla

  5. Re: Sorry - mime type warning

    ---------------------------------------snip-------------------------
    > However, opening Konqueror shows NO defaults at all for divx.
    > Also, in Opera I had already attempted to delete the file association
    > for divx that I had added, and the [delete] radio button does not
    > function at all???
    > The [edit] button does bring up the page which lists the MIME type
    > (which is grayed out) and only highlights the File extensions,
    > which do allow me to change or remove "divx," but
    > not "application/octet-stream"
    > Activating "Use Plug in" only has blank in the drop down menu.
    >
    > Godzilla

    Perhaps you should completely uninstall Opera and reinstall it. Make sure
    you remove any files/folders that are not removed by uninstalling.

    As for konqueror you will have to add the file associations manually under
    preferences.

  6. Re: Sorry - mime type warning

    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=107797994605331&w=2
    --