i586 --> i686 - Suse

This is a discussion on i586 --> i686 - Suse ; I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686). How can I switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel? Is that - by the way - a good idea? Thanks for your hints. My system: ...

  1. i586 --> i686

    I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686).
    How can I switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?

    Is that - by the way - a good idea?

    Thanks for your hints.

    My system:

    Dell Notebook Latitude D520, openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7

    Greets

    Heinz

  2. Re: i586 --> i686

    On Sep 10, 8:33 pm, Heinz Julmy wrote:
    > I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686).
    > How can I switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?
    >
    > Is that - by the way - a good idea?
    >
    > Thanks for your hints.
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > Dell Notebook Latitude D520, openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7
    >
    > Greets
    >
    > Heinz

    In that case, trust SuSE. If the SuSE install routines think that
    your machine needs the i586 kernel then the chances are that they are
    right.

  3. Re: i586 --> i686

    Heinz Julmy wrote:
    > I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686).
    > How can I switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?

    AFAIK, there's only one generic kernel used for all CPUs. And it's
    unoptimized too.

    Compile your own

  4. Re: i586 --> i686

    Heinz Julmy wrote:

    > I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686).
    > How can I switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?

    Vlad already answered that.
    Compile your own kernel.
    Install sources, read README.SUSE and run 'xconfig'. If it complains install
    additional packages and run again.
    In configuration look for 'Processor type and features'. Read help that
    shows in bottom pane when you select option in upper. When done save
    configuration and quit.

    > Is that - by the way - a good idea?

    It is for some applications that can use additional functionality, but it
    can be quite some work to do that. For instance I could see speedup with
    GIMP (http://en.opensuse.org/GIMP) as image creation and editing can use
    additional i686 features (here Athlon K7), but the hard disk i/o will not
    improve much.

    There was a while ago long discussion about that on opensuse@opensuse.org,
    that gave more details why openSUSE opted for generic i586 system. This is
    the discussion I had in mind:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2.../msg01107.html .

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: i586 --> i686

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Heinz Julmy wrote:
    >> I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686). How can I
    >> switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?

    > AFAIK, there's only one generic kernel used for all CPUs. And it's
    > unoptimized too.
    >
    > Compile your own

    What about the x86_64 kernel? Is it optimized? I would think since its
    new and somewhat standardized platform it could be optimized, but I
    could be wrong... ?

  6. Re: i586 --> i686

    takeaway wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Heinz Julmy wrote:
    >>> I figured out that my system runs a newer Pentium (i686). How can I
    >>> switch my current well running system with the i686 kernel?

    >> AFAIK, there's only one generic kernel used for all CPUs. And it's
    >> unoptimized too.
    >>
    >> Compile your own

    > What about the x86_64 kernel? Is it optimized? I would think since its
    > new and somewhat standardized platform it could be optimized, but I
    > could be wrong... ?

    It's compiled with "-Os" instead of "-O2", which means it's optimized
    for size rather than speed.

+ Reply to Thread